Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix TRIANGLE STRATEGY - tactical RPG from Octopath Traveler devs

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This reminds me a bit of Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodoss. Amazing story in that game and it also had an amazing battle system. When will this game come out?
March 4th is the release date.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I've been playing in my vita lately but this game might make me turn on the system again, i've been wanting to play a tactics game since with some production values since the last fire emblem released.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Latest trailer.

I need to beat Yakuza: LAD and Chronicles of Myrtana before this and Elex 2 releases.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I want the loli assassin in my team. After i finish bravely default i will probably play octopath traveler in preparation to this game, want to check out the previous work of the studio.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So since there's a new and much meatier demo available I gave the game another go hoping that it would somehow be a better experience than what I had in the demo. The voice acting is still just as bad, like everyone is pacified with heavy medication. Not having character portraits pop up for dialogue is also a missed opportunity that lowers the energy of the talking segments. You can check portraits when you examine units during combat and the art is amazing so why the fuck don't you capitalize on that? Otherwise it feels better than the demo. Combat felt alright and tactical. Maneuvering is important and you can't just throw your guys willy-nilly at the enemy or the AI will abuse the sandwich mechanics to burst you down. Music is also good. I'll play the demo some more but so far based on what I've felt from playing the 'actual' game rather than being thrown into an encounter with no context, it feels a lot better.
I still suspect that the combat system will suffer from the same problem as Octopath does where at some point you'll get abilities that feed "turns" to other characters so you just keep pumping someone who has access to expensive big damage moves to wipe encounters, but at least the early game encounters don't feel too restricted by BPs.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Just as Hobo Elf i played thr prologue and i must say the AI is not extremely retarded like in FE games, and i'm saying this as someone that finished multiple games in the hardest difficulty, combat has a lot of potential. I must warn some people, game has A LOT of dialogue and taking your time talking to NPCs has gameplay consequences so is definitely worth doing. I also must say that i want to cum deep inside Anna.

Nm6k

Scholar
Huh one of the writers is Nobuyuki Inoue who was the director of Mother 3 also work on Live A Live. Two very popular JRPGs

Falksi

Arcane
Reading a lot of complaints from Twitards about the demos pacing and long sections where you're left just to watch and/or read (one dude sited 45 mins of pure cutscenes at one point).

Hobo Elf does that match your experience of the demo? I've not tried it myself yet and I'll be too busy playing other stuff to try it for a week or two, but was just wondered if what was being said was true, or just Twittards wanting more popamoleyo in their lives.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
It's true, but i did talk to every NPC that i could, i could even consider this game a visual novel if you press me hard enough, things like Rance or kamidori exist after all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah, there is definitely a lot of talking and it's not hyperbole to say that you could be watching cutscenes for close to an hour. I'm curious if it's just the beginning of the game since it spends a lot of time setting up factions and people. If the whole game is going to be this verbose then it could end up being a deal breaker for some people.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I put in 4 hours and didn't even finish it yet, though I doubt I have much left either. I had seen enough to make up my mind that it's probably a game worth getting and so I'm just gonna wait for the full release.

Nm6k

Scholar
I think that the game could be great if it does follow through on its promise of C&C and if the story doesn't take a nosedive in quality because of it.

Nm6k

Scholar
Also, you can do a lot of awful things like flooding the main city of the kingdom you are in, selling a group of minorities to the slavers of a foreign nation in exchange for their support, selling out your best friend to the invaders to save your own hide then turn on those invaders to help the previously mentioned slaver nation to take control.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Full game leaked, i'm getting it right now, if you care about spoilers leave this place or the internet, that's all.
ZJwumhn.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
The first few hours impressed me. The difficulty on Hard was appropriate and I quickly got a hold of the systems. I quite like the art style - my FFT/TO nut buddy who was watching me play didn't, though - if you've already got a strong opinion on how Octopath looked, you already know if you'll like it. They're definitely taking the worldbuilding seriously. It's a slow, elaborate start - you'll have two battles in the first four hours or so. You'll be introduced to a couple dozen characters who are all given appropriate screen time for them to be memorable for when you inevitably fight some of them later. Lots of politicking and internal and external powerplay in the nations. Good translation so far - the characters speak like you'd expect from aristocrats but it doesn't go into TO-style floweriness (which I wouldn't mind, I love that stuff even if it's cheesy). I tried both the dub and original JP voice acting and found both to have their merits. I'll probably switch between them.

Current emulator of choice is Ryujinx. It's not perfect, but can be unlocked above 30 without issues. Yuzu shat itself a bit too much on Vulkan and gave bad performance on OpenGL.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Leaked to teh Tubes on 01.03.22. Too busy with Fire Emblem Fails to leech 6.23 GB, tho. :(

Morm

Novice
So it's been out for a few days now ! Is it good ? I'm really afraid about the quantity of dialogs and cut-scenes...

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Apparently the whole conflict in the game is about controlling salt. Like literal salt, no magic rock shit. And you can do war crimes. The notion of a darker and more grounded tactics game intrigues me. But it came around the time gazillion games were released so I think I'll wait for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom