Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tropico 6 from Limbic Entertainment

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This is technicallly still the same game like Tropico 3.

They just make a few code changes, add a few features + 3d models and sell it as a new version every 1.5 years.

But technically you will have just as much fun and gameplay with Tropico 3 for 0.99$ from a bargain bin.

Aemar

Arcane
5:25

This game is kind of difficult[...], if you don't know this game I urge you to download it right now and then try to help me
. He's playing a version of a game that is not even out yet. Why waste money on this guy to generate some buzz, instead of paying some other random Yt superstar gamer to shill for this, one who actually knows what he's doing and can add credibility?

Other than that, I expect this game to be exactly as bland as the rest of the series. A series that has yet to reach its full potential.

Beastro

Arcane
I don't get why they haven't spun off into satires of other settings like Eastern Europe, North Korea, Yugoslavia, Middle East, Africa....

Hell could expand it into doing old 19th Century European monarchies, the US of the time or the monarchy/empire/republic dance of France.

One around Albania and emulating the antics of Hoxha would be funny.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I guess re-releasing the same game over and over again is the safe thing to do, as long as people buy it.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I guess, re-releasing the same game over and over again is the safe thing to do, as long as people buy it.
20161224_xmc701.jpg

I don't get why they haven't spun off into satires of other settings like Eastern Europe, North Korea, Yugoslavia, Middle East, Africa....

Hell could expand it into doing old 19th Century European monarchies, the US of the time or the monarchy/empire/republic dance of France.

new graphics, new characters, new portraits, new voiceovers, new ideas... it's just not feasible, can't you see it?

typical user

Arbiter

You can't call it Tropico if you put it in some backawater of Europe full of potatoes like Poland.

But having a game where you cosplay as Kim Jong Un and manage your country from US money so your nation won't flood South Korea is tempting. Imagine putting StarCraft players to actually mine those minerals for your fake nuclear payload.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

They just make a few code changes, add a few features + 3d models and sell it as a new version every 1.5 years.

But technically you will have just as much fun and gameplay with Tropico 3 for 0.99$ from a bargain bin.
Pretty much this -- I don't see the need for a new Tropico every two years. Any major changes ceased after Tropico 3.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
All Tropico games had several problems they cannot fix for years.
1. Easy money. Once you figure some build order for success you never deviate fom it. For example oil magnate with university rush will put you in severe debt for a while but then you are wiping your ass with cash. Etc. It is so easy that all other problems becoming irrelevant - you can use all edicts and no one ever will be unhappy.
2. It is almost imposible to lose election. You are not threatened. All prblems you can solve with edicts, meaning cash.
So all missions becoming very repetitive soon.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, the best part of Tropico was the elections. In the first game if you cranked it up to the maximum difficulty level, they were hard for the first few rounds and then became impossible. For me, that was always the interesting part of the game. You're like an actual leader of a country during that era, where populations are exploding and demanding better standards of living, and you've got to run that treadmill and stay ahead of their expectations. I always found that a lot more interesting than all the "lol we're so random" bullshit the sequels tacked on.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It always bugged me how changed tourist industry was from tropico to tropico. In Tropico 3 it was extremely lucrative, in Tropico 4 - abysmal. Tropico 5 - again lucrative. Devs have no idea it seems how their mechanics worked.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Pretty much this -- I don't see the need for a new Tropico every two years. Any major changes ceased after Tropico 3.

Tropico 5 - 2014
Tropico 6 - 2019

2019 - 2014 = 2

yeah 2 years

k

:kingcomrade:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The whole more lame jokes shtick at the expense of politics made the games samey and boring. And their DLC policy doesn't help either.

SniperHF

Arcane
The only major changes were modern graphics and people transmogrifying into cars. Content-wise Tropico 3 was essentially a clone of Tropico 1, down to the choice of buildings, edicts, pop types, etc.

Unfortunately under the hood it was so much dumber :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delayed again: https://blog.kalypsomedia.com/en/open-letter-to-the-tropico-community/

Open Letter to the Tropico Community

Dear Fans and Friends of Tropico,

As the owner, co-founder and managing director of Kalypso Media, I have been always convinced that if Kalypso creates the kind of video games I would love to play myself, that there will be a lot of strategy game enthusiasts out there who like what we are doing and the company will be successful.

Since I first played the original “Tropico”, released by PopTop and Take Two back in 2001, I have been a huge fan of the series. So when Kalypso had the chance to acquire and reboot the IP I jumped at the opportunity and have taken a lot of financial risk for our company to continue the experience of playing a dictator on a Caribbean island.

Over the holidays, I have played Tropico 6 for many hours and really liked what I saw. But, in my humble opinion, it is not enough to like a game – I want to love it! And Tropico 6 is good, but not very good, or outstanding. Yet.

Combining my own opinion and the response we had from thousands of dedicated beta players around the world, Kalypso has decided to postpone the release of the game for another couple of months to March 29, 2019.

We know this is short notice and many of you, especially the ones who have pre-ordered, played the beta and gave such comprehensive and valued feedback, might be disappointed – but we think we can make the game better by adding some more icing on the Tropican cake.

Kalypso and Limbic are working hard to add as many of the community requests for enhanced features and gameplay as possible into the release version of the game. But we cannot do this overnight, and want to present the best possible Tropico experience to the fans of the franchise.

Features like pathfinding, a challenging multiplayer and the comprehensive simulation not only of each individual Tropican, but of the whole economy, are already implemented well, but could benefit from more balancing, testing and enhancement to meet our very high quality standards for Tropico 6.

Again, I apologize for the delay, and can only ask all fans for their patience and understanding as we put in even more work, with the hope that the game will meet your expectations on March 29, 2019.

As a loyalty bonus and reward for your patience, all customers who have pre-ordered the game by 7pm (CET) January 10th, 2019 via our own Kalypso Shop, Steam and other digital platforms, will receive the first DLC, planned for Q2 2019, free of charge.

Yours sincerely

Simon Hellwig, Owner and Managing Director of Kalypso Media Group

PS: Of course, you can always return or refund your pre-order if you prefer.

* The first DLC shall be released in Q2, 2019 and will be automatically added to your Tropico 6 Steam app package.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom