Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tropico 6 from Limbic Entertainment

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can your president fight rebel scum in this game?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Have they at least dealt with the problem where the citizens late game refuse to stay in the homes you build for them and gets unhappy because they are sleeping on the street?
Buildings still have payment requirement. Apartments and modern apartments require people to be at least well-off, and tenements and other trash have no limit.
Of course you can issue free housing edict but for that you must have a very stable and high income.
In Tropico 5 I could enact it right away. Here I enacted it and within several months plunged into tremendous debt. So yeah, you will need business parts of your town and communter town.
For example, half of my island is filled with tenements -the most effective housing for workers, because even if I build apartments few can afford them

Vatnik Wumao
I do not think its a question about the rent. I looked it up on another forum and someone told me that the citizen AI is very finicky when it comes to how close their home is to their workplace. I also get the problem where late game entire neighborhoods of housing gets abandoned late game for no obvious reason.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW have you noticed that Keep out of Tropico immigration policy only removed 80 PERCENT of immigrants instead of blocking them all? How are we supposed to keep Tropico from being overpopulated and falling apart?

typical user

Arbiter
BTW have you noticed that Keep out of Tropico immigration policy only removed 80 PERCENT of immigrants instead of blocking them all? How are we supposed to keep Tropico from being overpopulated and falling apart?

Brenton Tarrant DLC?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Okay, it seems that it is impossible to live on tourism because, well, it is not profitable.
I mean, hotels being self-sufficient was the staple feature of Tropico series. But in 6 hotels LOSE money. Rely on industry and forgetabout tourists

oscar

Arcane
Yeah tourism seems very weak. I was building it just to try and squeeze in more jobs (had about 10% unemployment who constituted 10 out of 11% of my shack dwellers) but it only makes me about 2k yearly compared to my 135k in exports even after sinking quite a bit of infrastructure into it (two tourist ports, accommodation and tons of leisure buildings) and having happy tourists.

The bank also seems insanely overpowered once you get over about 70k. You can easily live off the interest if you can resist the urge to splurge and deplete yourself below that number. Still this is probably the best Tropico game in a long time. On a resource poor map I can see the game being genuinely difficult.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There is a setting in Tropico 6 which allows to play only "stream safe" music. Devs go really all out to accommodate Twitch / Youtube.

ZeniBot

Cipher
The modern era in this game is hilariously broken. Once you hit it the game becomes incredibly boring and over easy. The only time I ever struggled was at the start when mandates were a thing because limited population makes it really hard to expand fast. Truthfully though I've learned to min-max that portion using Newspapers I've got it down to 2 years before the revolution trigger occurs and you can move to World Wars. I really disliked the world wars era because of its grindy nature, you have to grind regardless of what side you pick whereas cold war is down to "do you want to press a button to skip this aka Nuclear option" "do you want to wait a year for tourism to build up" "do you want to grind some more?".

The only time I had fun in this game was when the Middle east invaded me. That actually felt like something was going on. Pitty it only triggered once and never again. The offshore office mechanic is broken and OP as fuck if you combine it with the Tax Haven edict- I made most of my money from these two things alone as it boosts your trade values. Any offices you build also get a huge bonus.

Also the engine cannot handle more than 3,000 people. Once I hit that number I got all kinds of pathfinding issues and bugger all frame rate- and yet still not enough to fill an entire massive island. Its almost as if Kalypso never tested this to a completed island because they'd know its really fucking hard to do with the engine fighting you there were times where I thought it was going to crash.

Tropico 4 is better go play that instead. This Tropico offers nothing new and what it does offer is much worse than 4. Btw if you're having issues with Approval under marshal law just do what I did, convert your nuclear power plants into Enrichment, divert your research labs towards Knowledge accumulation and fire a nuke off every time you can. I never had an issue. I could keep it mostly at 100% unless the rebels attacked and disrupted something. My playstyle for this game was "piss everyone off" mode. It worked too well and so I'm bored now.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, it is a typical Kalypso game - shiny but utterly broken, rotten and unbalanced inside. Entire branch of the game - tourism is broken. It is obvious that they never ever tested their missions and tourism-related mission never saw QA, not that the very concept of QA is known to Kalypso

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Besides tourism requiring a healthy export economy to subsidize all the money it seems to lose me, there's a bug where your approval rating drops significantly when you load a game. My approval rating might be at 90% when I save the game, but when I load the game later, it's at 12% and it's very hard to raise it because all my happiness ratings are so high already, and all the faction approval levels are high. I searched for a fix, but I just found other people complaining about this. It definitely makes the game harder if you don't use martial law at this point.

Keshik

Arcane
Have they at least dealt with the problem where the citizens late game refuse to stay in the homes you build for them and gets unhappy because they are sleeping on the street?

In my experience so far...no. I guess people in this game are really picky about where they want to live.

Keshik

Arcane
Well I can see what people were saying about the offices. Managed to blunder my way into bouncing around between -50k and 0 and put down one, made an enormous difference. Had 5 and cruised my way to almost 800k. That Tropicoland scenario sucks though.

Still find it funny to look at the stats on Steam for this

6OBbZyA.png

I guess people buy and don't play a lot.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it's really a severe problem in PC gaming these days I think. We need more poor people in the market who actually give a shit if a game turns out to be good or not.

Incantatar

Cipher
So, what's the best Tropico? I don't care about graphics.
I played Tropico 2 ages ago, but don't remember much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom