Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-based blobber in alternate settings

Mustawd

So TL;DR, a few years ago I started getting back into gaming, namely RPGs, after a 7-9 year hiatus. Of course I started slow...shamefully with iPad games.

One of those was this POS:

Planet Stronghold

game05.jpg

Asw7LPKCAAA1Pt2jpglarge.jpg

Some kind of weird abomination of a turn based blobber with an animu dating sim. As soon as I found out it had dating sim elements (which I seriously didn't realize was even a thing; that's how long I've been out of it), I dropped that shit like it was hot.

However, I have to admit I had some fun in the meantime. Characters were weak, story was predictable, but the setting was interesting and different.

Main Question: Are there any other TB blobbers that take place outside your regular fantasy setting? Even if just a reskin, I'd like a break from the normal fantasy crap for a bit. I'm not aware of any other than this one.

Sincerely,

Mustawd

EDIT:

The chicks ARE pretty hawt at least (would bang the short haired sergeant...raawwr!).

planet-stronghold.jpg

2612.jpg

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
nintendo ds has all the answers.

Strange Journey is a strong blobber with pokemon elements in a science fiction setting

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, the SMT series is the obvious answer, for example Strange Journey or Shin Megami Tensei 1.

Superhero League of Hoboken (this one has from the top movement, though)
hobok1.gif

Dream maze
33576-Dream_Maze_-_Kigurumi_Daibouken_%28Japan%29_[En_by_KingMike_v1.0b]_%28%7EDream_Maze_-_The_Kigurumi_Adventure%29-2.jpg

Generation Xth
2423014-2.png

Depending on how much you're attached to the blobber criterion, the Gold Box Buck Rogers games could also fit the bill (and they're very good).

Paper Sorcerer uses classic fantasy, but with you controlling the evil sorcerer, the abomination and the skeleton and fighting knights and dwarfs.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whales Voyage is a sci-fi blobber with space sim elements. Not sure if it's turn based tho and it's supposed to be quite meh.

There's also this super obscure german amiga blobber, Antares:

oBhxPpR.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a translated version available tho.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Wizardry X: Zensen no Gakufu

61HAN06QPVL.jpg

Those japanese 'Wizardry' games are the worst blasphemous abominations, I've ever seen.

:timetoburn:

May Mr. Sirotek burn in hell for selling the ip to the pedophiles.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Whales Voyage is a sci-fi blobber with space sim elements. Not sure if it's turn based tho and it's supposed to be not quite meh.

There's also this super obscure german amiga blobber, Antares:

oBhxPpR.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a translated version available tho.
CRPGAddict played it a couple of months back and his readers made this page with the translations of all the texts in the game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does Might and Magic count? I mean, most of the games take place on a fucking space ship/NACELLE or whatever. In most of the games you upgrade from swords to laser blasters.

Zetor

Arcane
Hmm, if partial blobbing counts, there's The Mars Saga (aka Mines of Titan) and Centauri Alliance for the C-64. Both of them have Gold Box-like combat, but standard blob exploration. iirc Centauri Alliance is space opera, while Mars Saga is more traditional sci-fi.

Zetor

Arcane
Mines of Titan has Gold Box like combat? AFAIK it has a very simplistic turn based system.
The perspective is GB-like, yeah. Trve kvlt blob combat is supposed to take place on the exploration screen, but "first-person fixed-step movement in exploration mode combined with top-down tactical view for combat" was kind of a hallmark of that era. Gold Boxes, Uukrul, etc.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, comparing a game like Mines of Titan with the Gold Box games. :roll:
At east compare it with other games with boring, simplistic top down view combat.
IIRC Mines of Titan doesn't have a separate combat screen either.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does Might and Magic count? I mean, most of the games take place on a fucking space ship/NACELLE or whatever. In most of the games you upgrade from swords to laser blasters.

I was about to mention M&M but the laser gun stuff usually comes into play only in endgame so most of the game is high fantasy stuff. Of course everyone should play the Might and Magics no matter the setting ;)

Dorateen

Arcane
If we allow consideration of Gold-Box type games because outside of combat is party-based first person perspective, then the obvious suggestion would be the Buck Rogers titles.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
The problem I have with japanese wizardries is that they all seem to copy Wizardry I instead of the (imho) superior Wizardry VI-VIII

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem I have with japanese wizardries is that they all seem to copy Wizardry I instead of the (imho) superior Wizardry VI-VIII

As someone who isn't into dungeon crawlers I guess that the difference is in primarily in world design - one huge dungeon (Wiz I) vs. a huge open-world filled with multiple dungeons (Wiz VI-VIII)?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
my god the differences between wiz 1-5 and wiz 6-8 are that wiz 6-8 was casualised and declined to utter shit while wiz 1-5 are still the best crpg systems imaginable.

also it's only thanks to japan that we have the privilege of playing one of the best wizardry titles ever called elminage: gothic. wussies who prefer the decline of wiz 6-8 need not apply.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member

As someone who isn't into dungeon crawlers I guess that the difference is in primarily in world design - one huge dungeon (Wiz I) vs. a huge open-world filled with multiple dungeons (Wiz VI-VIII)?

Nah Wiz VI didn't have open world either. And even tho it technically does have locations like a forest everything has the same dungeon wallpaper ;)

It's the feeling. Wizardry VI started telling a story and to me feels more like pnp gaming... altho of course the early wizardries originated directly from pnp gaming. But yes, while Wiz VI was basically still just a dungeon romp it added more flavor to it. Also the early wizardries do not have skills and your attributes can decrease on lvlup. At least I think so :oops:

V_K

Arcane

Nah Wiz VI didn't have open world either. And even tho it technically does have locations like a forest everything has the same dungeon wallpaper ;)
It's not open-world, but IIRC it's not a linear succession of dungeon levels either. Freedom, both in terms of character development and in level design, is definitely one of the things W6-8 (and W&W ;)) have over W1-5. Even the story - I might be wrong, but I don't think any early Wizardries except 4 had multiple endings.
Generally, I'd say that W6-8 are more hand-crafted, with more unique content, from NPCs to puzzles, while earlier ones rely on systemic elements.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Yeah the sense of exploration in Wizardry VI is definitely a huge factor. The castle alone feels believable and as if you are, well, exploring a castle ;)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wiz 1-5:

- vancian spell system promoting careful management and usage which adds to overall tension during exploration
- save only in town (unless you're playing one of the remakes, or on an emulator)
- general healing, levelling-up and magical spell restoration only possible back in town therefore increasing the danger, tension and feeling of total immersion while exploring the dungeons
- death can be permanent and costs vitality during resurrection (if it succeeds at all otherwise the character is lost forever)
- limited inventory that promotes resource management
- intellectually designed dungeons
- loot is tied to dungeon levels and not to enemies promoting exploration; fuels need to reach just one more floor for better loot
- healing and other resources are scarce
- loot itemization is scarce and everything you find feels rewarding to get and use
- very sparse backstory and plot development as the focus is entirely on exploration of the dungeons

wiz 6-8:

- magic points-based spell system similar to your average JRPG
- save anywhere
- death has no consequences whatsoever
- can Rest anywhere and levelup anywhere eliminating sense of danger or tension while exploring
- combat layers are reduced as a result since you can rest and heal after any combat without worrying about having to return to town
- inventory is not unlimited but every character has approximately 20-40 item slots available at any time
- no management or strategical thinking necessary in regards to resource consumption or spell usage
- areas are extremely large and mostly poorly designed and listless with little in the way providing challenge of navigation or interesting exploration
- loot is no longer tied to dungeon floors and instead is tied to enemy-types and is also found in out-of-combat chests, just like in an JRPG
- healting and other resources are plentiful reducing most of the tension while exploring
- loot itemization is typical "monty-haul" with the player finding mundane loot non-stop right from the beginning
- non-stop info-dumps of badly written prose and badly written NPC's as the focus is entirely on seemingly random fetch-quests in order to unlock areas

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom