Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn-based combat is not fun

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JoonaAhonen, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    :lol:

Turn based can simulate reality (which is real time) better than real time.

:lol:

I really have heard it all.

Do you not realize that Baldur's gate is not real life? They overcomplicated that shit because they were trying to translate a turn based system into real time while trying to stay faithful to the original but it was all unnecessary. They could have easily set a standard attack speed and changed cast time/actual attack speed based on your stats (like you would in a normal real time or rtwp system)

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I think he means that TB can simulate the minutia of reality more accurately in a percievable form than realtime gameplay, because you can have an effect that makes a difference from the tiniest instances that you might miss in realtime gameplay, because you don’t really have time to notice them (but in real life you would, because you have your senses). Like a broken toe or finger, for example (should the game have that).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Sarathiour Educated

Sarathiour
    Ha, you seem like a truly prestigious gamer, sir :obviously:

I might recommand you to play YIIK, which is the pinnacle of the experience you are craving for.

Have fun ! :martini:

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Every thread on the topic of turn-based combat versus real-time combat should include a reminder that RTwP is a horrid abomination that combines the worst aspects of both and should be eradicated from the genre. :M

• Agree x 4
    • No x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Turn based is the only combat system that is entirely reliant on your skill/planning without any outside factors like reflexes or ability to tell apart a needle in rtwp fights or getting fucked by path finding.
    It can also be mastered without said elements and can be easily learned by casuals.Therefore it is perfect for any system that is is character driven,like rpg's.

Rtwp is for people who like the concept of combat but don' want to actually deal with the actual combat since most of rtwp is automated.And the harder rtwp fights only make you long for tb because of the annoying micromanagement.

Tb fans are people who like meticulously building a train set while rt fans are people who like modifying and watching trains go while occasionally pressing a button.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JoonaAhonen Prospernaut Shitposter

JoonaAhonen
    I don't actually play with trains. You can go back to your toys, while I sit here, playing not only you, but the intellectuals' favorite: real-time RPGs. TB is for slow people. TB is for virgins that want to fap to a female enemy before she is dead on the ground, unless they're a necrophile, in which case it will generally be better to wait for her being dead on the ground, since necrophilia is often strong enough of a paraphilia to make corpses the afflicted one's primary attraction. This is why I believe necrophile virgins are more inclined to play video games with real-time combat, than are their non-necrophile peers.

Let me counter your claims:

1. Turn-based combat is reliant on you sleeping over the heavy issue of a boss fight, hoping to wake up in the morning with an epiphany. It is not for gamers that want to test their skill. You need fluid intelligence for RT. The thing about pathfinding is valid though, but bad pathfinding isn't terribly common in my experience. I never used VATS in Fallout.

2. It is good for casuals, sure. I'm no casual though.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ol' Willy Magister

Ol' Willy
    Yes, the reality argument. You know, reality is 3D and first-person - should all games be like that? Reality doesn't have save/load - should we eradicate that? Reality doesn't even has the character creation. This way you stuck playing your life as a fat and ugly RT fag, while I play as smart and beautiful TB enthusiast.

• Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Real time combat isn't fun either. This is why Planescape Torment and Disco Elysium are considered to be best rpgs on codex.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Jvegi Arcane

Jvegi
    No outside factors except for dice rolls and initiative checks you mean.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    You can see harvest season has started.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    Turn-based is easier to make good than real-time. Unfortunately, most developers don't bother to make either of them fun.

^ Top  
  12. NJClaw Ontopolover by choice Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JoonaAhonen Prospernaut Shitposter

JoonaAhonen
    Idk if you're making fun of me, but I still appreciate the kind words. I always wanted to be a video game journalist. I remember reading video game critique by Scorpia back when, and I fell in love with her excellent roasting.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    But in practice the best enemy AI I've seen in a CRPG is BG1 and 2 with the SCS mod installed.

^ Top  
  15. Dyspaire Augur

Dyspaire
    7-Layer Bars

• 1 cup walnuts
    • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
    • 3 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from one 14.4-ounce box)
    • 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (1 pound 5 ounces)
    • One 11-ounce bag butterscotch chips (1 1/4 cups)
    • 3/4 cup white-chocolate chips
    • One 14-ounce bag sweetened shredded coconut
    • One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (1 1/2 cups)

How to Make It
    Step 1
    Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast until golden and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let cool then coarsely chop.

Step 2
    In a large bowl, mix the melted butter with the graham cracker crumbs until evenly moistened. Press the crumbs onto the bottom of a 15-by-17-inch baking pan. Scatter the semisweet chocolate chips on top, followed by the butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, toasted walnuts and coconut. Scrape the condensed milk into a microwave-safe container and heat it at high power for 30 seconds, until just fluid. Drizzle the milk evenly over the coconut.

Step 3
    Bake the bars in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes, until the coconut is toasted; rotate the pan once for even cooking. Transfer the pan to a rack and let the bars cool completely, at least 4 hours. Cut the bars lengthwise into 6 strips and crosswise into 6 strips to make 36 bars.

Make Ahead

The bars can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    Didn't play that mod so i can't compare but one of the best AI (if not the best) is KotC 2 one.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Goldschmidt Educated

Goldschmidt
    Key word highlighted. We all know about the codex and their precious feelings!

You stole that mental image from me. Yes, imagine a turnbased duel between two nerdy codexers armed with water pistols, each having to wait their turn to attack. It would be cringey as hell. Everyone on the planet knows that POE has the best action combat in a rpg and it will keep that place for the forthcoming years with the sequel. Fallout combat is pretty boring compared to it.

[​IMG]

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Darth Canoli Magister

Darth Canoli
    The picture isn't Turn-Based though.
    You certainly won't feel clever at all when you'll notice they're both firing simultaneously, this is literally RtwP (pause at first to prepare the duel)

^ Top  
  19. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Dominions switched from TB to RT, I don't mind the change, it's p. cool actually

^ Top  
  20. ProphetSword Arcane Developer

ProphetSword
    Haven't seen KotC 2 myself yet, but I can tell you that KotC (1) has one of the best enemy AIs you will ever encounter. If that shit was real-time, you would lose every battle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    "I can't find my character"

[​IMG]

Like I said, TB preference is literal retardation.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Like most turn based retards you completely miss the point of my argument.

Third person isn't an abstraction of 1st person, like turn based is an abstraction of real time, retard. It doesn't need to rely on inferior approximations to emulate a feature of the system like turn based. It's just different.

Real time isn't superior to turn based merely because it's real, but because TB is BY DESIGN a handicapped version of real time. It gives up the potential to accurately emulate every scenario in exchange for allowing retards to take as long as their slow, snail like minds can move to make a decision.

• retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    It's actually the opposite, real time decisions are limited only by the frame rate whereas turn based decisions are limited by turn length (which is almost always longer than a split second). It's actually very hard to emulate minutia with turn based games and it would become virtually unplayable if you tried.

If you want to give the player complete control over every tiny detail you make a good rtwp system (with lots of autopause features).
    If you want the player to manage their attention as a resource and limit how much they can do you make a real time with no pause system.

To do the former in TB you'll always be limited by ap/turns as discrete units much larger than a frame and to do the latter in TB you have to tack on stupid shit like QTEs.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Not explicitly but it's the same line of argument (the quote is from another retard who argued the same point in a previous discussion). The topic has been done to death here. TBtards can't just say they enjoy TB more, you actually have the balls to claim intellectual superiority, often in the same sentence you admit real time is too much for your brain to cope with. :lol:

How can you expect me NOT TO go for low hanging fruit like that? You can't. It's inhuman.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. ArisatoSeldom Literate

ArisatoSeldom
    Should have been stay away from this holy war, but oh well.

The only party rpg RTwP system which I enjoyed playing with no hiccups was from Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time jrpg. Every unit does have it's "speed" attribute which affects how soon they can do an action (something like real-time mode in FF, but better). Given there are a ways to buff/debuff speed of unit, spell strength progress with the time casted, this all gives some tactical depth to the encounters (excluding trash ones). And good thing that game levels were designed around this systems.
    I wish character options and progression were not so simple, but story variations and encounter-puzzles keep you engaged.

As for IE RTwP. Honestly, I have never understood, why should one have real-time, which is emulating TB, which you pause every goddamn round anyway? Phase turn anyone?
    If you are making RTwP, you do RTwP and molding system to work smooth with it and design encounters to use your real-time feature. Not some clunky TB emulation, which is no good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.