Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie turn-based RPG survey - help out an indie dev

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
If you take away one thing from this thread, it should be this, don't do a card-based combat game. Don't fucking do it. Just. Don't. I've seen a lot of them and none of them are fun to people that don't specifically appreciate them. Even if its the greatest card-based game of all time, its still not going to be fun to play. Its an oversaturated field and you're going to sell nothing. If that's what you want to make, I can't dissuade you, but if you're just doing this because you think you're going to make money, save yourself the trouble and don't.
Don't care about the rest, just do something that isn't generic high or low fantasy.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only card RPG I ever played that I tolerated was Cultist Simulator, but that's because I love Lovecraftian stuff, and it is really well made and there is a LOT of heart put into that game.

Otherwise, high skepticism.

Atrachasis

Augur
It's called market research. Chill out. It's a smart thing to do, especially before you start sinking in time + money.

Yes, but it's NOT a smart thing to conduct market research at the Codex, the sampling bias is going to be horrendous.

A great place for constructive (and caustic) feedback it is, and has always been, if you approach it with something substantial at hand.

Citizen

Dumb thread. Just hire me to make all your decisions for you.

This. If you want to use my expert opinion on turn-based RPGs, hire me as a consultant, do you expect me to make you money for a fucking kid yoda picture

just

Liturgist
rob, hear me out. i've done my research and i'm considered one of the top experts in the field.
you need:
combat (turn based) - if you dont want combat in your game you better start writing 3 million words about communism and then swap all the words with thesaurus.
gameplay - if on the release day you get comments like: "this game is too hard", "theres no minimap, halo it's 2020", "game doesnt have a quest log, is this a bug?", ... you've made it. otherwise start working on it.
hot chicks - you'll be branded a nazi, incel, homophobe, mysgonyst and sexist by 15 people on twitter. ignore that and cater to real men with a lot of money (us)
no romance, but a lot of sex - romance is for fags who dont get love irl, but you have to include some fucking otherwise all those hot chicks have no place in the game.
short and to the point conversations - nobody wants to read in a video game. if you just have to write long prose, include a skip conversation button somewhere.

follow this few simple steps and you're a good candidate for rpg of the year

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How would you feel about a card-driven combat system in a new turn-based RPG? *
References: SteamWorld Quest, Gordian Quest, and Baten Kaitos

Just fuck off already...
That's where i stopped answering the questions.

Bonus, the next question was :

Choose “Love Turn-Based RPGs” *
  • Octopi
  • Octopuses
  • Love Turn-Based RPGs
  • Octopodes
  • Joy

I didn't even get it, not that i want to understand...

Based on the survey questions, this seems less like market research and more like, "We went through the Unity tutorials and want to start selling something quick, which type of card-based JRPG do you like?"

If it's not a troll, they're retarded and they'd never release a decent game if they lived 2000 years...

AMG

Arbiter
Go for card based combat.
That way you will end up on RPG Codex GOTY podium.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, but it's NOT a smart thing to conduct market research at the Codex, the sampling bias is going to be horrendous.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=https://forms.gle/zcrPHABDV2dpTPfy5

This is why we can't have nice things.

qzw8u2N.png

Saduj

Arcane
Just completed the survey. All questions about preferences. Not a single question about “how to” despite some of the claims made here.

laclongquan

Arcane
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=https://forms.gle/zcrPHABDV2dpTPfy5

This is why we can't have nice things.

qzw8u2N.png

It's unfortunate yet unavoidable.

We Codexers are famous for liking flawed gems and not success stories.

If we like it, there's 50:50 chance it's sunk like a stone commercially.

5050 because we do have record of liking Witcher series, Skyrim, Fallout4, DA series, Mass Effect series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom