Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie turn-based RPG survey - help out an indie dev

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It's hard not to be a dick in response to this, it almost feels like a troll job. You guys all left a good paying gig and didn't have some general idea on what kind of game to make? You know what sells already, generic fantasy with pretty graphics, fast pacing, the illusion of choice, and the ability to powergame. You can't afford to do that, so make a good niche game that appeals to you and hope to sell a 100,000 copies. Ask our opinion on small details like permadeath yeah or nah and how is the color scheme on your inventory screen.

laclongquan

Arcane
Someone always has to start the first step~

Mind you, the first most important step would be reciting the mantra "Get Woke, Go Broke". There is never a woke game that sell. Skyrim? either Nord suppremacy or Nord racist so not woke. Witcher 3? No need to say more with either witcher hating or elf hating. Mass Effect? they try woke shits in Andromeda and they fall flat on their face, with no amount of marketing can help them.

Card games can do the job what with the starting resource a startup game dev can have. Example of card games done well I think is Sengoku Rance and their Alicesoft games.

The rest? Define your niche. That's the key. Gaming audience is too wide not to pre-define into niches.

Even if you choose card games, there's niche to be defining. Or to be more oldschool: define your sub genre.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Yes, but it's NOT a smart thing to conduct market research at the Codex, the sampling bias is going to be horrendous.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=https://forms.gle/zcrPHABDV2dpTPfy5

This is why we can't have nice things.

qzw8u2N.png

It's unfortunate yet unavoidable.

We Codexers are famous for liking flawed gems and not success stories.

If we like it, there's 50:50 chance it's sunk like a stone commercially.

5050 because we do have record of liking Witcher series, Skyrim, Fallout4, DA series, Mass Effect series.

Being a Yes Man doesn't produce quality. Also looking at the top 70 or top 100 codex lists the vast majority of titles were successful. Also Dragon Age sucks.

purupuru

Learned
r/bioware: 12 replies
RPGwatch: no reply at all
r/witcher3: Why is this not deleted already? And no I don't care you got permission from the mods.
pcgamer: DELETED
codex: 53 replies
Stop bashing yourselves, you guys are super friendly and nice!

Though I do think Mr.Thompson could be more specific with what he wants to make. I went in the survey expecting that the game is going to be something like fallout, but the some of the questions and examples like baten kaitos make me feel maybe he is going for more of a blobber or JRPG approach? I mean, Persona 5 and BG3 are both turn based, but obviously there is much more difference between those 2 than there is between BG3 and BG2.

Pentium

Learned
Don't fucking take any those monkeys seriously. Just go and make the best card game in the world. It's underestimated art that needs to show it's full potential!

Ranarama

Learned
If you are to make a card game, aim for L5R, ratropolis or MTG, don't just copy slay the spire. Especially with that fucking FTL overworld.

Brainlet2

Educated
No roguelites or fucking card games, I'm tired of seeing those shit games filling the steam catalog

vazha

Arcane
No cartoony / pixel art graphics either, please. Nobody can stomach those anymore.

Completed the survey, hope it helps and good luck.

deama

Prophet
Only good card game that I remember playing, that also had turn-based combat was etherlords 2 (didn't play 1st), it's basically magic the gathering + heroes of might and magic - the base building.
I actually quite enjoyed it, however I gave up after finishing the first campaign (had like 10 missions or so) because the second campaign forced you to play another character, which meant you had to restart your deck which pissed me off as I spent a while building it up and searching through the maps to find cards and items.

Here's an idea for the devs, just take king's bounty crossworlds and combine it with etherlords! That'd be great, the one thing I wished etherlords 2 had was an open world similiar to crossworlds and for the main campaign to be much longer instead of being mission based.

Last edited:

Percy

Cipher
Easy, make it like Final Fantasy Tactics with some choice and consequences.

For a plot the bad guys can be gnomish bankers and the protagonist starts off investigating a plague rumoured to be caused by beast people eating bats.

vazha

Arcane
Only good card game that I remember playing, that also had turn-based combat was etherlords 2 (didn't play 1st), it's basically magic the gathering + heroes of might and magic - the base building.
I actually quite enjoyed it, however I gave up after finishing the first campaign (had like 10 missions or so) because the second campaign forced you to play another character, which meant you had to restart your deck which pissed me off as I spent a while building it up and searching through the maps to find cards and items.

Here's an idea for the devs, just take king's bounty crossworlds and combine it with etherlords! That'd be great, the one thing I wished etherlords 2 had was an open world similiar to crossworlds and for the main campaign to be much longer instead of being mission based.

Etherlords also had awesome music and art design

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Looks to me they have no idea what they're doing

Rank preferred settings? Do you even have a vision? Shame

Ysaye

Arbiter
"Card-game -like" game mechanics can have some advantages like greatly speeding up combat whilst still (potentially - depending on the game mechanics) remaining a game of strategic tactical intent. The time issue with traditional turn based computer games is a problem often cited by some Codexers, but ultimately it depends on what your objectives are and who your target audience is.

I agree with others that I don't see the point of designing a game by a survey; all that does (if analysed in a basic statistical way) is focus you toward mediocrity as you try and balance off extreme views and be inclusive of everyone at the expense of satisfying no one. Perhaps the idea is to identify a target audience and that they hold on things that they don't know about them, but if that was the case then would one setup the survey in that manner?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom