Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twin Mirror - Dontnod's new mystery thriller

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.twinmirror-game.com/en/home/

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/twin-mirror/home

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...me-is-small-town-mystery-thriller-twin-mirror

Life is Strange dev's new game is moody small-town mystery thriller Twin Mirror
Coming to PC, Xbox One, and PS4 next year.

Matt Wales

Reporter

Life is Strange and Vampyr developer Dontnod has revealed its latest game, Twin Mirror - an atmospheric small-town mystery thriller, coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC next year.

According to its announcement post, Twin Mirror deals with "heartbreak, homecoming, and the perpetual struggle of adulthood", and it looks, based on its reveal trailer at least, like the moody offspring of Life is Strange and Alan Wake.

It begins as protagonist Sam, having recently experienced a bad break-up, returns to his hometown of Basswood, West Virginia, to attend his best friend's funeral. Unfortunately, bitter interactions with his former friends don't help improve the mood.

It doesn't take long for things to unravel even further, however, when Sam wakes up, with no recollection of the previous night, to discover his shirt covered in blood. That's the starting point for an investigation that spans the whole of Basswood, "where your memories, choices, and relationships will determine Sam's complicated fate".

Twin Mirror's mysteries lead to "a dark and emotional adventure where the line between truth and deception is blurred". Here, "truth, duality, and polarity will all become factors, as players dictate their future through personal choices". None of that sheds much light on the ghostly figures and surreal dreamscapes that permeate Twin Mirror's atmospheric trailer, however.

Twin Mirror will be published by Bandai Namco when it launches next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venser

Erudite
Looks like a mix between Fahrenheit and Allan Wake. Graphics look dated but I'm interested since Dontnod is making it. Also it's kinda weird how Dontnod has each of their title published by different publisher.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh you're supposed to do deductions in a Mind Palace. That's neat, I guess. Doesn't this belong in Adventure Gaming?

praetor

Arcane
if their previous game was Life is Tumblr, what will this one be? Twin Instagram? Twin Twitter? Twin Facebook or maybe... Twin MYSPACE?! the main dude looks suspiciously as boring as Myspace Tom. makes you think...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Delayed to 2020, another Epic exclusive: https://www.dontnod-bourse.com/en/financial-information/press-releases.html?ID=ACTUS-0-58783

DONTNOD SIGNS STRATEGIC AGREEMENT WITH EPIC GAMES AND BECOMES CO-PRODUCER OF TWIN MIRROR
  • Signing of an exclusive partnership with Epic Games for PC distribution of Twin Mirror
  • Acquisition of the game's intellectual property rights
  • Ongoing collaboration with BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment for console publishing, marketing and distribution
  • Increased licensing potential for a 2020 release with the support of a new partner, Shibuya Productions
June 10, 2019. DONTNOD Entertainment is pleased to announce the signing of an exclusive PC distribution partnership with Epic Games. The PC version of Twin Mirror will be released exclusively via Epic Games store for a 12-month period. The financial terms of this partnership ensure a more advantageous distribution of revenues for DONTNOD.

Meanwhile, DONTNOD Entertainment has acquired the rights of Twin Mirror in line with the strategy presented at the time of its IPO: strengthen its intellectual property portfolio and increase game profitability.

BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, the publisher that launched the project with DONTNOD Entertainment, will continue to be in charge of publishing, marketing and distribution on Xbox One®, Microsoft's all-in-one games and entertainment system, and on PlayStation®4.

In order to optimize the gaming experience and capitalize on Twin Mirror's success potential, DONTNOD Entertainment has decided to extend the development phase and reschedule release for 2020, boosted by the transmedia expertise and the financial support of a co-producer Shibuya Productions.

This entire transaction will enhance value creation potential for shareholders.

Oskar Guilbert, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of DONTNOD, said: “In line with our development strategy and thanks to our partnership with Epic Games, DONTNOD now majority holds an additional key asset. We are delighted to partner with Epic Games and present Twin Mirror to the vast gamer community on its Epic Games store. The conditions of this partnership along with the support of Shibuya Productions reinforce the game's potential. This strategic operation demonstrates our ability to leverage new market trends in our favor. The video game industry is currently undergoing major transformation and now offers a major competitive advantage to content creators such as DONTNOD.”

Venser

Erudite
I was just thinking about this game today, wondering if they're still working on it.

WallaceChambers

Learned
I played through Tell Me Why and it was a massive improvement over Life Is Strange 2. Which isn't saying much because a soggy turd fuming in the open air would be a massive improvement over Life Is Strange 2. But it actually was a decently good game in its own right.

Gonna check this one out and maybe DontNod could be 2 for 2 this year.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I will play it.

And yeah, Tell Me Why was a bit better than Life is Strange 2 despite the awkward gayness, but LiS2 had set the bar so low it is not really an achievement.

Tell me why looks more classic in its setting ; this is what Dontnod needs right now.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Started playing it. Not much to say so far but from where I'm at (just finished first investigation puzzle) it's very slow going. A lot of the conversations feel off and the lip sync is atrociously stiff at times. DontNod's facial animation got better in Tell Me Why but this is a step back from that.

It's still clearly in the phase of setting things up so I wont judge it too harshly but some of these wooden dialogue exchanges are sapping my confidence.

On the plus side you can play PacMan because it's published by Bandai Namco, I guess.

WallaceChambers

Learned
Playing more of it and it's getting better once you're deeper into the actual mystery. The mind palace puzzles are pretty cool, not a steep challenge but there's enough wrong options that your first inclination wouldn't be to brute force them. They've got a pretty cool visual style to them as well. Then there's the stuff that's getting increasingly more rote with each DontNod game i.e looking around the room for a computer password, key code, etc.

Overall I don't hate it but it's not blowing me away either. I'm finding the dialogue less awkward now that the story has some focus. There's still plenty of time for them to totally botch the game but we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom