Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitcher 1 was better than Twitcher 2

Really.

Twitcher 1 felt more... epic than the tacked on crap in Twitcher 2 feels. You were a small-time with amnesia who was thrown into a plot where a dubious gang lead by a muscle-bound wizard and a sly assassin stole the precious mutagens used to create new witchers, and you had to solve the mystery around the whole matter. It was like a classic fantasy role playing game thrown in with an old adventure game-style mystery (the whole of act 2) as well as some other neat shit which had me sitting at the edge of my seat from start til the bitter end... (and the music was AWESOME!)

... and then Twitcher 2. They fucked up by attempting to make it "epic" in the same was Derp Herp Bioware attempts to make their games "epic". You move around constantly, you never solve any mysteries other than "use sword on guy" (or use dick on girl) and it no longer has that special "feel" which make Twitcher 1 special to me.

All in all: Twitcher 1 is the modern equivalent of Planescape: Torment while Twitcher 2 can be summed up as "A Bioware game done right". (And the music in Twitcher 2 sucks as well)

Fuck you, Poland. The Swede will invade you one of these days.... if only because you can see a pole a mile away due to "på lacken".

:rpgcodex:

Who said we wanted the people? We just want the land. It's forced labor camps for you! Oh yes, you'll be writing scrips for new games 48 hours a day for zhe fuhrer!

When zhe fuhrer yells: "We gotta have more games!" We heil! We heil! For him we make more games!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a way I understand what SV means though that doesn't mean that the 'epic' story of TW2 is crap as it's still far better than most, but there's an intimacy lacking. Same thing with the Call of Juarez games; the first game had a much more intimate feel, two protagonists trying to find redemption in some way and learn something about themselves, a couple of levels had virtually no fighting in them even(something almost unheard of in a FPS) to further bring this 'man against himself in this desolate wilderness' feel. The second was just CoD in the Wild West.

I don't think it's a coincidence that both series are Polish and both sacrificed a bit of their uniqueness in order to appeal to a broader(read slack jawed AmuriKWAns) audience in the interest of staying alive.

Here's hoping the funds from TW2 will secure CDPR to go back to a more 'slavic' sensibility plot-wise in TW3.

Quilty

Magister
Stereotypical Villain said:

Agreed. :salute:

I was baffled by the way codexers proceeded to jerk off over an epic console game with QTEs. Quite embarrassing, really.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Geralt in books is influencing the kings and wizards from the very start, and with the Apocaipse, Harmagedon and Ragnerock in one coming soon it's no suprise the action is epic. Only chance to play some lo level adventure is spin off with someone other than White Wolf as PC. And BTW in proper Biowhore game you use dick on men and sword on women. :smug:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
SITWAR.JPG

commie said:
In a way I understand what SV means though that doesn't mean that the 'epic' story of TW2 is crap as it's still far better than most, but there's an intimacy lacking. Same thing with the Call of Juarez games; the first game had a much more intimate feel, two protagonists trying to find redemption in some way and learn something about themselves, a couple of levels had virtually no fighting in them even(something almost unheard of in a FPS) to further bring this 'man against himself in this desolate wilderness' feel. The second was just CoD in the Wild West.

I don't think it's a coincidence that both series are Polish and both sacrificed a bit of their uniqueness in order to appeal to a broader(read slack jawed AmuriKWAns) audience in the interest of staying alive.

Here's hoping the funds from TW2 will secure CDPR to go back to a more 'slavic' sensibility plot-wise in TW3.

Bingo.

Just to set the record straight though: Twitcher 2 is really, really, really good when compared to the biological waste other developers release to the simian wretches which we like to call "Main-stream gamers"... it's just that I can't shake the feeling that CDPR could have done a MUCH BETTER JOB than they did!

Fuck! Even the music in Twitcher 2 feels like something Inon Zur would phone in for a TES game!

I hope they'll correct their errors in Twitcher 3. As some of you would say: I hope they bring back the folk-ish feel.

MasPingon

Arcane
No, it's not. Story is far better and and match the books perfectly. TW1 was hilarious at some parts - fighting against superhuman race, banging Lady of the lake, destroying Dagon cult, what the fuck? It was rather pulp fiction then real Witcher game

Just because a game is based on something doesn't mean that it has to follow its source material perfectly. The whole amnesia thing was meant to reboot Geralt after all of the shit in the book had already taken place, thus allowing for a new experience.

Now, I'm not arguing against the entire storyline of Twitcher 2, I'm merely arguing about the structure of it, and the lack of that special "feeling" you got when playing Twitcher 1, as well as some of the more quirky moments in the storyline (such as the whole of act 2).

Perhaps if they'd skipped out on some of the "epic" content the game would've been a whole lot more enjoyable, but as it stands... it really does feel like somebody took the Bioware Bible and decided to make something good out of it, instead of more excrement coming straight out of Gaiders' ass.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Witcher 1 sucked in pretty much every regard.
Witcher 2 has qualities, but none that matter to me (except C&C).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Stereotypical Villain said:
Just because a game is based on something doesn't mean that it has to follow its source material perfectly. The whole amnesia thing was meant to reboot Geralt after all of the shit in the book had already taken place, thus allowing for a new experience.

Now, I'm not arguing against the entire storyline of Twitcher 2, I'm merely arguing about the structure of it, and the lack of that special "feeling" you got when playing Twitcher 1, as well as some of the more quirky moments in the storyline (such as the whole of act 2).

Perhaps if they'd skipped out on some of the "epic" content the game would've been a whole lot more enjoyable, but as it stands... it really does feel like somebody took the Bioware Bible and decided to make something good out of it, instead of more excrement coming straight out of Gaiders' ass.

To me the reason why the whole experience was somewhat lacking storywise was player's minimal involvement in a sizeable portion of the plot - namely discovering Geralt's past. There's practically nothing like that in the game - you are given some flashbacks in response to some arbitrary plot-points, not due to your own investigation or anything. And those flashbacks simply spoonfeed you with info. Lazy.

That is a great shame because if properly implemented through a variety of quests, the process of discovering the truth behind your amnesia could provide valid distraction from all the politicking, backstabbing and so on. Hell, this could have even become the alternate third 'neutral' path.

Another reason why the whole experience is slightly dissatisfying is the lack of the 'fantasy - mystery' factor. You know, the feeling weirdness, magic and fantastical mystery. You never really feel you explore some secret lore. Goddamn, I will never forgive CDP what they did to the Wild Hunt. :x

Captain Shrek

Admiral jimbob said:
Hell, this could have even become the alternate third 'neutral' path.

They pretty much said it was :( sigh. Ah well, fun game.

Hmm. I think they removed it to stress the 'mature' element. In every path you could actually remind your partner that you were in this for the sake of clearing your name alone. But
Saving triss over Foltest's daughter or Phillippa is almost the neutral path. Only in the Roche path can you get completely away with it by saving both Anais and Triss (through Letho). Th Iorweth path forces you to choose between Saskia and Triss. Even if you choose Triss Saskia can be saved in the future, however.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I like how you go into all sorts of detail about why The Witcher 1 was something you preferred, but then all the evidence you can provide for The Witcher 2 being inferior is "it's epic and I don't like epic", even though to be honest it isn't particularly epic at all, just bigger and dispenses with most of the "bring me 10 drowner tongue" quests. And "feeling"? What is this "feeling" you keep going on about? You mention it but utterly fail to describe it in detail or why it makes for a better game.

I appreciate the fact you didn't enjoy it as much, but your reasons seem extremely vague and petty much are just "it's not The Witcher 1."

Also: soundtrack is way better than any Inon Zur crap (though his work on Icewind Dale is quite nice), and he certainly is not the composer for The Elder Scrolls as you suggest.

odrzut

Arcane
Mrowak said:
Goddamn, I will never forgive CDP what they did to the Wild Hunt. :x

If you mean that:

(Sapkowski books spoiler)
they are special ops squad of racist time traveling elves from other dimension, where it was elves who won the civilization race and gone all Nazi on other races.

Then it's not CDPR, but Sapkowski, who did this.

Captain Shrek

odrzut said:
Then it's not CDPR, but Sapkowski, who did this.

Its essentially a humorous take on Alien Abductions as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom