Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by jaydee2k, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Reader Learned

Reader
    I noticed they changed logo on Steam.
    Are they...planning something?..

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Biotard detected

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    Ah, yes, that is unavoidable, and honestly complete bullshit, yes. You are not the first to react to it and is a common criticism of the game. The way it blatantly locks you out with no good logic is quite jarring.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Your spire is being attacked, and once that attack has been deflected, it's time to start purging enemies. One can assume that whichever faction you would have gone against finally succeeded in their goal in whichever quest line you didn't have time to take.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    Nah, the logo's been changed since at least February 2020.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sarathiour Learned

Sarathiour
    It make sense, but it happen rather suddenly, i don't really remember if it was hinted that you only got so much time before your ennemies are on the move against you.

^ Top  
  7. Luckmann Arcane Zionist Agent

Luckmann
    If one would not have to assume, it would not be jarring.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. purupuru Learned

purupuru
    Can't get over the crippling sense of defeat after uninstalling the game, so I downloaded it again and finished it. At least it didn't last long after where I picked it up.
    If only the combat were less repetitive I might have actually enjoyed the game. The companions are somewhat interesting and not Pallegina. Custom magic is very fun but overshadows everything else: martial classes, talents, companion and artifact skills, etc.
    Now onto my second play-through, this time with a guide so I will make sure I get inside that fucking library.

• Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Rusty Eyes aka Auraculum

Rusty Eyes
    Unfortunately, due to the Paradox/Obsidian conflict, I suspect the IP is in some ownership hell, and no one will ever be able to touch it again (see Myth series for another example).

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Paradox has full ownership over Tyranny since they provided all the funding.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Wanted to try it again on PotD rebel path - on my first run I gave up during the battle for Ascension Hall, because it was just too damn hard (party 2h MC/Verse/Lantry/Eb).

No matter how many times I've tried, I always got wasted by the second wave of Disfavoured - after they break the fortifications and rush with some semi-boss, two mages and couple of regulars. I guess the weak link here is Eb - I'm recruiting her just before the battle and as a mage she's just too damn weak, with lore around 45-50 she can't craft any decent spells.

The fight would be probably easier with a full blown tank - assuming that I reject her initial offer to join and keep Barik for this fight, is there an option to recruit her later on again, after the Hall is defended?

^ Top  
  12. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The game goes downhill after that anyway, soooo.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    Yeah, I've heard that, but want to finish it anyway, as I've enjoyed PoE combat system and the setting and overall lore seems cool here.

So when it comes to NPCs - where do they go once you dump them? And when it comes to Eb and rebel path - is there a way to recruit her again after the ascension hall fight, once you refuse her initial offer to join?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TT1 Magister Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am 100% sure Paradox would give the IP to Obsidian if they want to work on it in the future. They would benefit somehow in having a good relationship with Microsoft.

I really think Obsidian should work in a sequel for it. The setting is so good, it would benefit from having a good development time and resources.

^ Top  
  15. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    I just finished it, unfortunately when the game starts to get interesting it ends.

Hovewer, i didn't like pillar of crap combat and the ultra-verbose dialogues so i cannot reccomend it unless you want:

Fighting against 5 maximum 6 different enemy types and that means...
    ...that combat is always the same repeating shit.
    Super small maps, i think they are approximatevly of the same size of Baldur's gate Warehouse building.
    All the maps looks the same.
    The aforementioned ultra-verbose dialogue.
    Strong Women everywhere
    There is one dungeon? Two with the dlcs and there is just two monsters indie, a blue sparlking thing and a red sparkling thing.
    It cost 50 euro, 75-80 euro with the two dlc (the dlcs does not add anything of value)
    Quest companions are in the second dlc (super paradox cheap tactic)

I bought it a 7 euro during a gog sale, that's the right price.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Really?

I could agree only if you mean all the wall dungeon maps.

^ Top  
  17. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    Yes trust me i finished it today

^ Top  
  18. TT1 Magister Patron

TT1
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Did you play the game with your eyes closed?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    I dunno what it is, maybe Sawyer's wokeness, but Bastard's Wound always makes me think of those artificial vaginas they create for men transitioning into women.

• Funny x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Someone has issues x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Demo.Graph Learned

Demo.Graph
    What's the hivemind opinion on Tyranny?

I've almost finished first act (I suppose, I'm right before the attack on the spire). I'm pretty disappointed so far. The writing is wordy and out of style, factions and character interactions aren't really beleiveable and reputation system is seriously unbalanced (as far as I can see after, what, 10-25% of the game?), combat is samey.
    Will it all get better later?

It's the first Obsidian game I play. I had a preliminary impression that they're regarded as one of the few developers of quality RPGs these days. Am I wrong?

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. purupuru Learned

purupuru
    No. The writing and enemy variety stays consistently bad. The only thing that does get better is that you will find more and more spell accents and expressions so you can construct some fancy custom spells, which sadly doesn't make the game more tactical.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Alphons Savant

Alphons
    I'd say it gets worse, as Vendrien Guard scouts that can teleport past your tank are only encountered during the First Act.

This also gets worse. After choosing your side at the end of Act 1 Reputation gets thrown out the window- you'll max Rep with your allies, even if you piss them off on every occasion and you'll max out wrath with factions you didn't allign with even if you try not to.
    There's one Reputation that is an exception
    Show Spoiler

Tunon

If by these days you mean 10 years ago, then you aren't wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Tyranny is one of Obsidian's weaker efforts, and falls into the "good in theory, terrible in execution" category. It had its budget and personnel ransacked in order to improve Pillars of Eternity, which will become more apparent as you progress.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lord of Riva Prophet Patron

Lord of Riva
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good premise, shit execution. There are some good aspects of the game, i like the skill level and Spell system. Other than that it's pretty shitty.

The game tries to be evil and edgy but fails in that because the writers have a comical conception of what "being" evil means. The whole story becomes a mess through that, it has clearly been written by people who believe that nobody would serve willingly what they perceive as evil and therefore the whole premise is "revolution" not making a philosophical or player driven story based on how they perceive the world and the impact that would have.

It's a setting that assumes that Power is something that exists in vacuum, the grand evil is only in power because it's strong therefore it is always right to topple it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sarathiour Learned

Sarathiour
    uh, what ? Pretty much all of interaction are utilitarian evil, contrary to the typical bioware's game where you can just act evil for the sake of it. The local power just have been toppled by a ruthless empire, of course there not going to be too happy about it. Also i don't understand the bit about revolution.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.