Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima U5 Lazarus Recommended Mods

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thought I'd put together a little list of the mods I use in Ultima V: Lazarus. I've done a fair bit of research on this topic and I thought it would be nice to immortalize it somewhere. This list is based on the mods available at the excellent Sylore's Mod Guide.

Lazarus v1.2_Bugfix & Mod Collection v1.29
The most essential mod. You can install everything from here. However, if you're a purist, you might wish to avoid these two:

modcompatibility_addon_cheerfuls_silver+glasssword_mod.dsres - Grants silver swords a small bonus vs. undead and upgrades the glass swords' damage.
mod_ranged_throwing_axe.dsres - Allows you to throw throwing axes, but since the DS engine doesn't really support throwing weapons they function like a weaker Magic Axe that returns like a boomerang.​

New Spell Scroll Icons And Names V2
Spell scrolls in your inventory also display the spell name in English (and not just the Britannian magic syllables).

Not much to say about this, just a spellbook with prettier graphics.

Take All button for Containers
Self-explanatory. Take all items with one click.

GQ Potions Show Effect Names V2
Potions in your inventory display their effect (and not just their color).

Enhanced Graphics Mod
The other most essential mod. A comprehensive texture upgrade.

Alfie's Camera mod for Lazarus
Yet another essential mod. It allows greater control over the game's camera (zoom and angle) and also greatly increases the view distance. Personally, I recommend allowing the full range of camera angles, but not touching the zoom controls. The game isn't meant to look like an RTS.

Grail Quest’s Mod Package
An "Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul"-style game rebalancing modpack that was abandoned sometime in 2006. I avoid most of the mods here, but there are a few good convenience mods to be scavenged:

GQ Insect Swarms Easier to Spot.dsres - Larger model for the insect swarm enemies, making them easier to click on.
GQ Reagent Sources Highlighted.dsres - Highlights reagent sources in the wild, making them easier to find. May look a bit silly together with the Camera mod - you see reagents lighting up the world like spotlights.
GQ Some Creatures Auto-Drop Treasure.dsres - Makes some monsters drop their treasure when you kill them instead of having to loot their corpses. Makes for a bit less clicking.​

----------------------------------------------------

Other possibly interesting mods (I don't use these):

Lazarus More Members Beta
Allows you to have a party of eight instead of just six like in original U5. More party dialogues!

GQ Expanded Summoned Beast Results V2
Enhances the game's "Summon Creature" spell, allowing a greater variety of summoned beasts.

From Grail Quest’s Mod Package:
GQ Spell Damage Calculation Fix.dsres - Claims to fix a spell damage calculation bug in the game, but I'm not sure it's legit - else it would have been added to the Bugfix modpack by now.​

Gauche Shield
Adds a main gauche to the game that's actually a shield, so you can "dual wield" it (Dungeon Siege doesn't support true dual wielding).

Last edited:

Morkar Left

How compatible are Grail Quests mods to the latest Lazarus release? And how stable is the More Members mod? No bugs spotted so far?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How compatible are Grail Quests mods to the latest Lazarus release? And how stable is the More Members mod? No bugs spotted so far?

Sylore's page says which mods conflict with each other. The More Members mod seems to be stable. Unfortunately the original Lazarus forums were shut down some time ago and much information on these things was lost.

Morkar Left

Sylore's page says which mods conflict with each other. The More Members mod seems to be stable. Unfortunately the original Lazarus forums were shut down some time ago and much information on these things was lost.

Thanks. I hoped for some firsthand experience since the date mentinoned on the site for More Members is from 2008 and it's called a beta. Good find neverless and I will try it next time :salute:

Garm

Learned
Nice thread, I just bought the Dungeon Siege collection with the intent to play U5:salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
SOMETHING HAS CHANGED.

Maybe this can be stickied now? :smug:

Has anyone tried editing the portraits using the tool? I couldn't get it to work, though I found an easy online converter at
www.go2convert.com/
and an easy image editor online at
pixlr.com/editor/
The portraits aren't awful but there's so much good artwork on the net it's almost inexcusable for me to not have a main character that looks totally badass and/or hot.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wasn't even aware there existed mods for modding modded games. It seems somewhat like writing a fan fiction based on another fan fiction, based on a reboot of a remake of a film which was originally a pulp novel series.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Does anyone know what happened to NuVIe? They haven't updated in a while. Was really looking forward to that, they made some brilliant changes to the engine.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does anyone know what happened to NuVIe? They haven't updated in a while. Was really looking forward to that, they made some brilliant changes to the engine.

It's not dead, they're still checking in new code: http://sourceforge.net/p/nuvie/code/1726/tree/
Whoa. That's some good news. Hehe, every time I look at the screenshots I drool.

You've somewhat redeemed yourself in my eyes. ;)

U5:L and U6P are some of my favorite (dare I say Ultima) games made and I hope NuVie is completed.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

It's not dead, they're still checking in new code: http://sourceforge.net/p/nuvie/code/1726/tree/
Whoa. That's some good news. Hehe, every time I look at the screenshots I drool.

You've somewhat redeemed yourself in my eyes. ;)

U5:L and U6P are some of my favorite (dare I say Ultima) games made and I hope NuVie is completed.
Redeemed myself eh? Ummm....thanks?

But yes speaking of better games, Ultima 5, 6 and 7. Can't even put into words how happy I was when I saw them on GoG. Ultima 7 is a personal favorite, just because of it's humor. Love the blatant mockery it makes of Scientology.
Can't wait for Nuvie though, the alterations they have made look really true to the original, almost like an official patch..Trying to go back to Ultima 6 now is really difficult - navigating the menus in that game...ugh.
I know the focus right now is only on U6, but if they managed to get Savage Empire and Martian Dreams working on the same level that would be so awesome.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Whoops! It turns out I was linking to an incompatible version of the "Take All button for Containers" mod all this time. Updated OP.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Sorry for necroing this thread.

I was never able to play the Lazarus mod because my dungeon siege client always crashed before even getting to the menu screen. Recently I gave it another try and after changing some stuff I was able to get to the menu, but when I click to start a new game, it gets me to the game options menu. Does anyone know how to fix it? I looked everywhere for a solution but couldn't find anything.

EDIT. Nevermind. The game just decided to magically work.

I swear I shed a tear of happiness here. Been trying to play this shit for so fucking long.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enjoy it... it's one of the best "mods" to a game ever put out on the Interwebz and turned out to be a hell of a good Ultima game in it's own rite. Still can't wrap my head around how they could have done so well with the Dungeon Siege engine of all things but man I enjoyed playing it.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh man I decided to reinstall this and found this thread... the unofficial patch and the adjusted camera are fantastic
Funny how I first got to play arguably the best Ultima game ever made in the engine of one of my most hated games ever but it just works

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom