Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft pulls the plug on Might & Magic X

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is nothing new. Game was abandoned 6 months after release. They posted an announcement in the vein of "It's been a good ride guys, thank you for all the support but it's time to move on... " No patches, no nothing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Since MMX is one of the worst RPGs that I've ever beaten, perhaps that's good news.

not that i disagree, but ubisoft is higher on my list of loathing than mmx so it deserves all the beating it can get

MMX was lowkey good. Good, tactical combat paired with fast character progression and solid character building. Didn't like the environments though, thought they were too basic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They mentioned that they also shut off servers for Far Cry 2, Settlers 7, and Ass Creed 2. I wonder if those games also have issues.

Better download cracks for them just in case.

jackofshadows

Magister
This is hardly their first game of that kind, lol. Steam sells plenty of old games for example which aren't working "out of the box".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And people say pirating is bad LOL

They say that because if all fans actually bought this game we might've had MMXI by now.

Btw the fucking morons at Ubi could've released a simple jailbreak patch or some such but I guess it wasn't worth for them to assign two junior desk monkeys to work on it for two hours.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They mentioned that they also shut off servers for Far Cry 2, Settlers 7, and Ass Creed 2. I wonder if those games also have issues.

Better download cracks for them just in case.
Ubi-soft, the butt of many jokes.

Hey, they could go all ASS and be like this:

But, seriously, what is with so many companies turning into crap. Maybe in the 80s-90s I was really blind about companies having crappy policies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They say that because if all fans actually bought this game we might've had MMXI by now.
wasnt it doomed from start, fanbase that could satisfy ubikacja overlords never existed

I'm guessing Ubi greenlighted it only bc Limbic promised they'll stitch it up from the reused Homam 7 assets so it was gonna be cheap. If it sold relatively well I'm sure Ubi number crunchers would put that tea bag in the kettle for the third time.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
From ubishit:
On June 1st 2021, online services for Assassin’s Creed 2, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Far Cry 2, Anno 1404, Might & Magic – Clash of Heroes, Splinter Cell Conviction, The Settlers 7 and Might & Magic X - Legacy will be shut down.

If I would be fabulously optimistic, I'd say M&M X may one day appear on GOG for a DRM-free download.
Edit: DRM, not DLC &¤#%!
Damn. I don't give a shit about MMX, it's a pretty bad game, but Anno 1404 and Clash of Heroes are both pretty cool games.

And of course the obvious conclusion from this is, as was always predicted by just about everyone: You cannot buy a DRM'd game, you can only rent it for an unspecified amount of time. Could be for 6 months, could be 6 years, but at some point the renting period will expire.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
wasnt it doomed from start, fanbase that could satisfy ubikacja overlords never existed

I'm guessing Ubi greenlighted it only bc Limbic promised they'll stitch it up from the reused Homam 7 assets so it was gonna be cheap. If it sold relatively well I'm sure Ubi number crunchers would put that tea bag in the kettle for the third time.
relatively well
you are aware that its relative to ass creed right?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
From ubishit:
On June 1st 2021, online services for Assassin’s Creed 2, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Far Cry 2, Anno 1404, Might & Magic – Clash of Heroes, Splinter Cell Conviction, The Settlers 7 and Might & Magic X - Legacy will be shut down.

If I would be fabulously optimistic, I'd say M&M X may one day appear on GOG for a DRM-free download.
Edit: DRM, not DLC &¤#%!
Damn. I don't give a shit about MMX, it's a pretty bad game, but Anno 1404 and Clash of Heroes are both pretty cool games.

And of course the obvious conclusion from this is, as was always predicted by just about everyone: You cannot buy a DRM'd game, you can only rent it for an unspecified amount of time. Could be for 6 months, could be 6 years, but at some point the renting period will expire.

Clash of Heroes? Er..... meh.

Maybe actually playing it, my opinion would change. Time to set sail the skull & crossbones.... YARR HARR HARR!

I really don't understand why these retards don't disable the DRM once they decide to abandon the game.

It's a power dynamic thing, billionaires wants to dominate everyone else. They won't change their stance on DRM, no matter the reality. If they let go of DRM once, then people may start thinking that other options are on the table. It's the same with IP. Company may sit on unused IP, do nothing with it but if someone will try to use their IP they will get super mad.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who the hell cares, the game is a heap of shit anyway.

Not defending Ubi's retarded practices, but seriously, why maintain servers and support a game which probably has 0.2 average monthly players.
cf https://steamcharts.com/app/238750#1y

upload_2021-6-20_23-46-9.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I recently tried out latest assassin creed game on a huge sale.
I genuinely wanted to see if the game had progressed at all since Assassin's Creed 1 since I haven't touched this shit franchise at all since the first one.

It hasn't..
It's still basically the same shit..
Just more cash shop shit.

Honest question, How is Ubisoft still a company? Who is unironically buying this garbage?

Zeriel

Arcane
Modern AC is nothing like old AC, so not sure exactly what you guys mean there. If anything, it has devolved/went into the copycat route, when they saw the Witcher money. Kind of like how Bioware tried to copy Skyrim with DAI, only Ubisoft actually succeeded insofar as they made more money.

Zeriel

Arcane

I think the real nail in the coffin was the new Heroes being a flop. They actually spent what looked like a relative ton of money compared to MMX on that, with every faction having new models and whatnot. That it was a trashfire meant the series was donezo. Huge wasted opportunity that they spent all the money on that inside of MMX or a MMX sequel. I remarked at the time that it was hilarious that MMX outsold Heroes, and not even by a small amount either, it was like twice or three times according to steamspy back when steamspy still worked.

Considering how much bigger Heroes fanbase was traditionally, that says something.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Modern AC is nothing like old AC, so not sure exactly what you guys mean there. If anything, it has devolved/went into the copycat route, when they saw the Witcher money. Kind of like how Bioware tried to copy Skyrim with DAI, only Ubisoft actually succeeded insofar as they made more money.

Okay fair - it's got "RPG" mechanics.. because you can't bundle up deterministic game mechanics / player skill and sell it for ubibucks.
I still would argue the thin veneer of "progression & equipment upgrades & currency" is just that, just a way to elongate a soulless game and sell people tat.

You could argue as well that the graphics have improved and cutscenes are better.. but can't I just shit talk a little?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom