Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO2: Extraterrestrials - actually finally out

Exmit

Scholar
Why the GFX looks worse than on xcom from 94.

'artstyle' looks like shit.

Seriously they cannot make good stuff today. Bring back developers from 90's

mr.doo

Educated
Exmit said:

tactical.jpg

Airport011.jpg

*facepalm

.Sigurd

Educated
Exmit said:

Codex at its finest.

MCA
Then shower me with content, oh brother, for I have yet to find any.

PLUS, read the thread title. People might as well discuss the content in a thread not exclusively posted about screenshots.

Noddy

Augur
Bman modded ufo 1 was the best x-com clone i ever played. Nice to the sequel isn't dead.

And if you have to be a graphix whore, look at this way: looks a shit ton better than the first game.

mr.doo

Educated
I'm not too fond on some models, just like I didn't really like some of xcom1's sprites and animations.
Now saying this looks worse than a game released 17 years ago ? Was that a lame trolling attempt, puberty kicking in or both ?
Not that discussing this is that relevant since xcom has never been about the graphics but oh well.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
mr.doo said:
Not that discussing this is that relevant since xcom has never been about the graphics but oh well.
Only if you started playing games in SVGA era or later. X-Com had good graphics with very good use of special effects in 1994 and Terror from the Deep had great graphics.
And I disagree that X-Com wasn't about graphics - atmosphere is very important in X-Com series and graphics, music and sound effects are a big part of it.

mr.doo

Educated
xcom didn't have particularly great graphics in 94 (and also correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression TFD's graphics were identical) and I find it kind of contradicting that someone would say xcom graphics played a major part in the game yet so many people still play it nowadays and love it every bit now like they loved it then.
It's true that the atmosphere was one of xcom's strongest points but it wasn't so much about the quality of the sprites or the effects, more about the tension caused by not knowing where your enemies were, being afraid of having your men gunned down without you even knowing who attacked them and where he was, specially since you felt empathy for most of your soldiers, if not all of themm. Graphics, sounds and music did their part in not ruining the atmosphere but you could keep them and play with the fog of war disabled and that atmosphere and tension would be gone right away.

spectre

Arcane
Graphics, sounds and music did their part in not ruining the atmosphere

Er wut? Graphics aside, sounds and music in enemy unknown WERE the atmosphere. The screams of dying, the sound of movement, distant gunfire and explosions.

Now, regarding the graphics,
TFTD's graphics were identical, in a sense that it was basically the same game. Now, if you were to compare the color palette, you might come to a totally different conclusion. And TFTD is actually the case when saying that the graphics didn't ruin the atmosphere may be warranted.

IMO out of the two, TFTD is the better game, while ET is more atmospheric.

On topic, the blocky aliens cars remid me of early 2000s, when you couldn't subdivide your meshes too much. Looks bulky and with lots of pointless details thrown in everywhere.

Oh well, ET1 didn't particularly impress me, no having much hope for number 2.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The police car looks very different from those red truck things. Are those part of the team's arsenal?

Well, with Bman's mod UFO1 was pretty good. And the faces relatively human, so theres that too.

mr.doo

Educated
Er wut? Graphics aside, sounds and music in enemy unknown WERE the atmosphere. The screams of dying, the sound of movement, distant gunfire and explosions.

So what made xcom special was the sound of gunfire and explosions ?
I could imagine myself playing the game with the sound switched off, even if I wouldn't enjoy it as much, but if I was to be able to see the whole map and therefore know the location of the enemies most the experience would be ruined, for me at least. The music does help with the tense atmosphere, but it's far from being everything.

IMO out of the two, TFTD is the better game, while ET is more atmospheric.
I disagree, I think when it comes to the atmosphere the game are very much equal, the problem with TFTD was that it was just xcom1 repackaged with new scenarios, a more colorful pallette and slight gameplay improvements but the core of the original game is all there. A bit of a wasted opportunity imo, a obvious attempt to cash in on the success of the first game, even if the result wasn't a bad game at all, perhaps even better than the first one.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
The character portraits looks pretty good.

The Sentinels have extremely well developed sensory organs, allowing them to track their targets through a combination of visual, auditory, olfactory, and even infra-red signals.
Holy shit. It would be awesome if there are for example blind aliens but with excellent hearing.

During mission planning, CAF Intelligence reports indicated the aliens in the area were equipped with acidic, poisonous weapons. Thus each trooper is protected by a Sludge suit, which provides excellent protection against biological and chemical attacks, but very poor protection against incendiary weaponry. Unfortunately CAF intelligence was mistaken. The aliens sighted upon landing are equipped with incendiary weapons.
I hope everything won't be stone-paper-scissors like this.

Achilles

Arcane
I think it looks great. Maybe the Aliens look a bit boxy, but it's only a minor niggle.

Mortmal

Arcane
Doesnt look bad at all, but we need to see more interiors , in the first xcom screenshot, what strikes me is the care to details. You even see the pricing on vegetables sold in store, a store with fully destructable walls . Pixel art always has more charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom