Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO2: Extraterrestrials - actually finally out

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think xenonauts 2 will be released before this.. I can't believe the gameplay video from p1 is 10 years old.
the video is from 2018 "only". Though their oldest video is from 2015

Mazisky

Magister
I think xenonauts 2 will be released before this.. I can't believe the gameplay video from p1 is 10 years old.
Oh, that's not so bad. Looks like the OP was edited, didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not so bad. This game was announced before Xcom Enemy Unkwnown (2012).

Meanwhile we got Firaxis reboot, its expansion, its sequel years after, its expansion, Gollop return with another Xcom, Xenonauts 1, Corona Virus, an entire console generation cycle, etc., the slowest developers in the industry (Blizzard an Rockstar) developed and released 2 main games.

Not so bad at all! Game out soon!

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, that's not so bad. Looks like the OP was edited, didn't notice.

Yeah, that's not so bad. This game was announced before Xcom Enemy Unkwnown (2012).

Meanwhile we got Firaxis reboot, its expansion, its sequel years after, its expansion, Gollop return with another Xcom, Xenonauts 1, Corona Virus, an entire console generation cycle, etc., the slowest developers in the industry (Blizzard an Rockstar) developed and released 2 main games.

Not so bad at all! Game out soon!
:lol:

I hope the devs haven't spent all the time since the announcement working on this, or they're like the slowest devs to exist

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's got Steam page:

UFO2Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
A turn-based “I-Go-You-Go“ tactical squad-based game system
Interactive environments with destructible terrain
A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop
A large number of aliens to interrogate
Strong RPG elements where soldiers’ stats improve with experience
Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights
Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO: ET Bman Ease of Use Mod

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1049850/discussions/0/4811511685067106067/

UFO2Extraterrestrials - Prologue

PROLOGUE

In the blackness of space beyond Jupiter, a burst of gamma rays signals the appearance of a ragged hole in the very fabric of the universe. A vast armada of alien ships, their shields glowing as they deflect the incredible energies unleashed by their hyperspace transit, pour out of the hole and assemble behind the gas giant. With a final spasm of radiation, the tear in space-time seals itself, forever closing access to that mysterious other-where from whence the aliens came.

The fleet assembles into a protective formation around the largest ship--the mothership. Upon the bridge of the mothership, the alien commander examines the main screen where the small blue white pearl of Earth is shown.

"Aaahhh," the commander speaks, "Finally we are here. Our future lies ahead of us."

The commander of the alien armada waves a tentacle towards the display and orders, "Dispatch scout vessels immediately. We must learn more about the inhabitants of our new home."
...a few days later at a police station

Joan: I'm telling you, officer. My husband was kidnapped by aliens!
Police Officer: Ma'am, I'm telling ya. There's no such thing as aliens. Let's go over it one more time. Tell me again what you saw.

...a few weeks later on the television

Reporter: Not much is known except they have said they come in peace and will be sending a diplomatic envoy to speak to the United Nations. This is the biggest event in the history of mankind!
...during the 26th assembly of the United Nations
The alien diplomat speaks to the assembly in perfect English, "Humans of Earth,
we are an old and noble race from a far-away system of planets." The alien presses a button on a small device and a holographic image of another star system appears above the table. The aliens pauses while the humans whisper in amazement, then continues.
"We come in peace. We are scientists and explorers, and like you, we seek to know the unknown. There is much about you and your planet that we do not know. We demand that we be given land and resources so that we might learn."

At this, whispers of consternation circled the room. Many representatives looked towards the US representative for comment. He sighed and stood, "Demand is a strong word. Perhaps your grasp of our language is not strong enough and you meant to say you request some land?"

The alien slammed the holographic projector onto the table in obvious irritation.
"My grasp of your simple language is perfect. We do not request anything.
We demand this of you. We demand this land you designate as Australia."
As it spoke, a new image of the continent in question formed above the table.

Immediately the room was in an uproar. Two Australian representatives stood up and began shouting, "This is an outrage!"

One of the European Union delegates tried to calm everyone down,
"Keep quiet! We must think! You will bring an interplanetary war upon us!"

The alien commander interjected, "We have no wish to wage war on your planet.
We just wish to conduct our research. Do not argue with our demands and there
will be no war."

The US delegate spoke again, "You must understand. Australia is inhabited by
millions of people! We can't just give it to you!"

The EU delegate added, "Maybe we could arrange for some other, less populated land.
How about Antarctica? We could also arrange to send Earth scientists to help you
with your research."

The alien shook its head in perfect mimicry of human expression,
"No. Our research is private and will not be shared. It is beyond the capacity of your human brains to understand. And the land you designate as Australia is the land we require. Furthermore, we demand that all population within the designated area remain.
Our research will require large numbers of human subjects."

The meeting broke into cries of "Human subjects!?" "Are you insane!?" "Never!"
Through it all, the alien stood patiently. Eventually, the US representative stood and
said in a shaking voice, "We need a short break while we deliberate on your requests."

The alien nodded, "Very well..."
...a few months later
A ragged page torn from a journal swirls across a twisted and broken landscape.
Writing upon the page, barely legible, reads, "We've retreated to the final bunker 2km underground beneath the base. The air is stale and the odor of blood and fear is oppressive. All of our fortifications are in place--whatever good they will do. I can hear the scraping and clicking of the aliens as they near the entrance. Soon the fighting will start again. Our blood seeps through our bandages and our bodies are drowning in pain and fever, but our minds are still whole. We won't give up. We will fight until are all dead. I know that there are other survivors out there. Somewhere. And the story of our courage in the face of death will inspire them. They will continue the fight. They will discover why the aliens brought war to our planet. They will overcome the enemy."

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Wow, someone has risen from the dead. Are we going to kill aliens in June? Do I need to oil my MG3? That fucking global strategy theme gave me some goosebumps.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
:hype:

What's the story behind its release date though? Was it released in Europe first without an English translation?

Also, leave it to central/eastern European devs to include girls who aren't dykes in their games:incline:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Looks delightfully early 2000s; which hopefully translates to good performance on a wide range of systems.

One thing I noticed is that, as this is a streamer's PR vid, he's using previous gameplay trailers in the video that aren't slices of him playing the game, i.e. they may be quite old. To wit, the per-soldier inventory screen was at a 4:3 aspect ratio indicating it is very dated footage. With this game's track record, and the use of old footage prior to a "spring 2021" release date, I do wonder if we're just getting excited about vapor trails in the sky.

It's got Steam page:

UFO2Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

A fully 3D game combining real-time global strategy & air combat with turn-based tactical missions
A turn-based “I-Go-You-Go“ tactical squad-based game system
Interactive environments with destructible terrain
A large number of technologies, weapons, and combat units to develop
A large number of aliens to interrogate
Strong RPG elements where soldiers’ stats improve with experience
Dynamic lighting for intense fire-fights
Final Gameplay design and balance tweaks by the author of the popular original UFO: ET Bman Ease of Use Mod

This looks exactly like what I'd expect a game trapped in development hell for 15 years to look like. I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing at this point.

VonMiskov

Educated
Can't wait for obligatory memory leaks(tm) and CTD while playing this. I have fond memories of the first one - the heavly fixed by mods GOLD version being true successor to XCOM/UFO. And so this being a prequel we are suppose to loose in the end, somehow not motivating to play it :(

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Can't wait for obligatory memory leaks(tm) and CTD while playing this. I have fond memories of the first one - the heavly fixed by mods GOLD version being true successor to XCOM/UFO. And so this being a prequel we are suppose to loose in the end, somehow not motivating to play it :(

Well, if you beat the games in the game, then you don't. That simple.

Mazisky

Magister
Althought I really hate the early 2000 3d graphics, I applaud the developer for being able to end this enormous development journey and wish him all the best.

Also, when I played the first one decades ago, it was the closest thing to original UFO I ever played, gonna give that.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
if things go according to plan, yes, tomorrow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom