Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultima VIII (or, How to Destroy a Gaming Franchise in One Easy Step)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    YES finally: https://www.filfre.net/2021/02/ultima-viii-or-how-to-destroy-a-gaming-franchise-in-one-easy-step/

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Brofist x 7
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • popamole x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    It's a bit too long for me to get through, but is it true that in September 1992 "epic CRPGs were at literally their lowest ebb in the entire history of computer games"? (I'm not sure that that's the date at issue when the article says "at this juncture in time," but I assume so.

Does that mean 1992 releases (Darklands, Clouds of Xeen, Eye of the Beholder II, Realms of Arkania, Ultima VII, Crusaders of the Dark Savant, etc.) were not popular, or that there was nothing in the pipe for 1993 (contra BAK, Serpent Isle, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Lands of Lore, Darkside of Xeen, etc.)? I can't really remember back to the era, but it seems like a somewhat weird proposition, though perhaps it is true.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ultima’s descent from IV to VIII was the descent of Lord British himself and the West for whom he makes an evocative avatar.

Virtue to its opposite.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he was into foam party/Eyes Wide Shut shit in that period.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I was not "RPG conscious" back then, but having played games chronologically (now in 2001), I think 1992 and 1993 was the Golden Age of CRPGs (1988-1989 was also very good). So that quote looks strange to me. 1994-1995 was the lowest ebb, with a handful of shareware games being the highlights. Unless the "epic" part of the sentece is of vital importance, maybe.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    He mentions how both Wing Commander and Ultima Underworld outsold Ultima VII. Maybe he is talking more from a development perspective and the perception that action oriented games were the next big thing.

^ Top  
  6. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Yeah, sales numbers were probably telling a completely different story at a time when many were afraid of an upcoming CD-ROM apocalypse. People back then were thinking that traditional series like Ultima wouldn't survive without massive streamlining and eye candy, which explains the mid 90's dark ages right after the two most monocled years in CRPG history. And people at Origin Systems were particularly affected by this mindset after having Wing Commander outselling Ultima, leading to many questionable design choices in Ultima VII as early as 1992.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    I still don't understand the "literally lowest ebb" point, though; at the moment, I'm not seeing any evidence that any other developer at that point abandoned the genre. SSI did change from the traditional Gold Box games to Dark Sun (a game more like Ultima VII than the prior ones!), but otherwise the other franchises continued coming past Ultima VIII's release without any massive changes that I recall.

^ Top  
  8. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    Are you sure? I might be wrong, but I believe Sir-Tech, NWC, Westwood and Sierra stopped developing CRPGs for a while after Wizardry 7 (1992), World of Xeen (1993), Lands of Lore (1993) and Quest for Glory IV (1993), back when annual releases were the norm, and came back only after the success of games like Diablo, Fallout and Baldur's Gate. Studios like Origin, SSI and Mindcraft released some commercially disappointing titles and lost all relevance soon after. Darklands bombed in 1992, becoming MicroProse's last attempt at joining the RPG crowd. LGS was already moving away from RPGs after Underworld 2. And before Fallout, Interplay role-playing games were a mess.

Sure, some European developers like Attic were doing fine, and Bethesda would soon publish their first Elder Scrolls title (which was a fast-paced first-person action game closer to Doom than more traditional RPGs, and it wasn't very successful at first anyways), but these must have been very precarious times for developers, way before most consumers noticed there was even a problem around 1994.

^ Top  
  9. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    The argument in the article, as I understood it, was in 1992 (when EA acquired Origin and U8 was in early development), RPG developers viewed the genre to be doomed, and that as a consequence, Origin shifted U8 away from being an RPG. Other developers don't see to have gotten that memo in 1992; you're right that from like 1994 to 1998, things are a little less active, but that doesn't fit with the timeline he's describing, I don't think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    And my point is that 1994 must have been only the last manifestation of a much earlier crisis, and that developers were aware of this for a long time. Sales numbers must have been really disappointing if by 1993 studios were all leaving this genre behind despite how well crafted many of these games were.

^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Wouldn't that make 1994 literally the lowest ebb? :)

^ Top  
  12. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    By that time most developers had already moved on, so no. :M

^ Top  
  13. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Isn't the point and which developers abandoned the genre when "epic CRPGs were at literally their lowest ebb in the entire history of computer games"? Maybe we're just using language differently.

The idea that U8 represented an early instance of developers betraying the genre is a little different from the suggestion that every other developer was doing the same time.

^ Top  
  14. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    The article is referring to the historical perspective at the time. "CRPGs were at literally their lowest ebb in the entire history of computer games" up until that point. And the focus of the article is understanding how an abomination like Pagan got made, not determining historical milestones for the CRPG genre.

^ Top  
  15. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Fair enough -- I'm still not sure it explains it all, but that's true.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. :Flash: Arcane

:Flash:
    Even Attic was only surviving, because they were a tiny studio and never released a game after Shadows over Riva.
    At that time, every RPG got unfavourably compared to Ultima Underworld by reviewers (if it doesn't have a 3D engine, it's not a good game), but even Ultima Underworld was massively outsold by Wolfenstein 3D, so it's understandable the companies thought RPGs had no future.

^ Top  
  17. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    It's like how prog music suddenly died after reaching it's peak in 1973-1974, to be replaced by something simpler and more accessible.

^ Top  
  18. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    That’s as much of a cover story as EA made me do it. Or Gargoyles are just misunderstood or Virtue is just the man keeping us down. The fall started long before VIII.

The Gate turned Black for a reason.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    You should really add an Eyes Wide Shut smilie for yourself, Inifinie.

I'm dead serious. Look up what Garriot was up to during these years. Pullman pulled the same shit. He even called it Pagan with the Pentagram and everything. People were into that then. I was there.

He wanted you to know. So in a way your obviousness is trolling him.

^ Top  
  20. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    Oooh boy, where do I start with this series without sounding like Spoony?

First and foremost that article has so much bullshit its not even funny. I think Garriott used the employees as fall people. EA's practices of devouring and obliterating personnel and resources were well known before Origin was bought.

Both parties are equally to blame, but the level of hubris is downright appalling. Did nobody learn the lesson of Dai Katana at Origin?

When egos the size of a planet are involved, nothing good can come of the situation.

• what? what? x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morpheus Kitami Learned

Morpheus Kitami
    Wasn't the "death" of prog rock slightly later, like 75-77?
    You mean John Romero's Daikatana? The one that didn't even come out until 2000? I don't even really think there was a much publicized case of egomaniacs in gaming yet, at least nothing that's stood the test of time anyway.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    It's definitely not true (that came a few years later, I'd pin it at ~1995, a quick shuffle through my old CGW prints seems to confirm it when glancing at TOCs), but then this is Maher, I pretty much expect him to randomly make shit up to fit whatever weirdo version of history he came up with this week (not to mention yet another guy who does not understand what "literal" means).

I didn't read the article (reading Maher again? ha ha ha) but I saw you quote (and correct, thank you!) that idiotic line about U8 killing LB's career and burst out laughing. I never did and never will understand MMOs and their appeal, and UO interests me even less than U8 and U9 do despite my low, low opinion of both games, but to claim that LB's career never recovered when his single biggest success came AFTER is ridiculously stupid. But again, it's Maher.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    The reports of the death of the cRPG genre have been greatly exaggerated. The genre only hit a low if you exclude certain types of cRPGs.
    With regards to 1992: Ultima Underworld released that year. Really not sure how you can be writing about Ultima and say that was a bad year for cRPGs?
    Every year of the 90s I can think of a handful of masterpieces that released off the top of my head.

^ Top  
  24. Dayyālu Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Dayyālu
    Interesting article.

I do wonder where he got the theory that VIII could have been a "good game" outside of the theoretical realm of Ultima on the basis that Crusader was after all a good game and a success: despite them sharing the engine they are completely different beasts in philosophy and design - no one with half a brain could think that Crusader's somewhat carefully designed combat encounters can compare with VIII's dreadful dungeons., or that Crusader's Wing Commander-inspired presentation can compare.

Feels like a desperate attempt to salvage rotten apples by comparing them to oranges.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's not his idea, it's what he says other people think. He thinks it was an ill-conceived project that was always doomed.

Personally I think U8 could have been a good game even as some sort of action-RPG retooling of the series, but it would have required long-term commitment and a vision that Garriott clearly didn't have. They would have basically had to go to EA and say "CRPGs may be unfashionable now but we think we can bring the genre back. Give us a few years to figure this out, Ultima is a major franchise and it deserves a chance". Bring in Warren Spector and hire back all the U7 writers, wait until CD-ROM drives were the standard so they could create a more detailed world with better visuals, iterate and re-iterate on the gameplay mechanics until they were actually fun. In the end I'd like to think they would arrived at a game with less of the jumping and a more developed combat system, with a more open world instead of dungeon after dungeon.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.