Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos releasing on August 25th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Assemble Entertainment; Team ADOM; Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos

Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos, the dungeon crawling successor to classic roguelike ADOM, has received several major updates since launching on Early Access in February. With its latest update, Team ADOM are ready to announce that Ultimate ADOM will be releasing on August 25th. The update itself is combat-focused and features a significant overhaul of the game's character system and looting. Here's the accompanying press release:

Wiesbaden, Germany - 24th June, 2021. The caverns have never been more chaotic, as today, publisher Assemble Entertainment and developer Team ADOM announced an August 25, 2021, full 1.0 release for the hugely popular roguelike Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos. As things wind up for the full Steam launch, Team ADOM today unlocked a new Early Access patch called “Combat Update,” which introduces a complete overhaul to the combat skills system, adding 140 new skills.

The new Combat Skills update offers players more freedom when it comes to weapons and armor compared to the previous model, which locked players in a specific combat type. Now, players have access to a greater variety of weapon and armor types, allowing for more experimental and creative combat styles and character specializations. Additionally, existing weapon skills have been rebalanced with over 20 levels of progression added. Also included in the patch are a plethora of bug fixes, improvements to melee combat, achievements, and trading cards.

If all of that still isn’t enough to get your grindstone spinning, you’ll be thrilled to learn that monster-slaying in Ultimate ADOM is now even more rewarding. Some powerful foes will now drop “treasure troves,” which offer three useful items to choose from. And, if you aren’t diggin’ the first drop, using in-game gold to re-roll the item choice grants another chance to get that item you’ve been after. Lastly, additional prefixes and suffixes are in play for all shield types and ranged weapons, resulting in tens of thousands of new variations of both.

A sequel 25 years in the making, Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos returns players to the world of Ancardia, currently enjoying a rather suspicious lull in cataclysmic events. Unfortunately, something is ‘a stirrin’ in the caverns below, and it’s up to you to head down into the darkness and see what sort of evil is brewing. Luckily for you, there is a nearly endless combination of spells, weapons, and abilities available to get you through the dungeons safely...perhaps not the first time, or the second time, but definitely at some point.

Bringing together the past and the present, the game contains all the hallmarks of the genre but with contemporary stylings and additions for current hardware, like a modern user interface and support for controllers. Players can also choose between a slick new graphic mode and the more classic “old school” ASCII look, on top of the ability to toggle between 3D and top-down view.

Developed by Team ADOM and published by Assemble Entertainment, Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos is fully launching on Steam on August 25, 2021. Play now via Early Access and add the game to your wishlist by visiting the Steam Store page. Learn more at the official Ultimate ADOM website.
Addition details about the combat update, including a video that goes over the main improvements, are available here.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
When they first announced Ultimate ADOM it looked as if they were making the ultimate Roguelike RPG.

Then - going along with the tabletop RPG "revival craze" of some years ago they stupidly decided to launch a KS for a P&P version of ADOM. It was a complete disaster and a terrible waste of time and resources.

facepalm-e1525125165282-1210x544.jpg

Later (after aborting the P&P RPG and failing to deliver the product to the backers) they decided to make their game engine full 3D.
A very cheap and pointless 3D view. I love ADOM and I played their free demo of the game to see if it managed to improve the first game's mechanics. I played for less than an hour and I never touched it again.

92e848ffd6bfc479590934a928dbdd0f.jpg

And now - when all the reviews state that the game is crap - they decide to get it off Early Access...

2653853_700bwp.webp

Yeah, this is probably gonna end really well , unfortunately.
...But I honestly hope not. The first ADOM is a really great game and I think its devs deserve better.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
We haven't even seen bobblehead mode where it is 5x bigger than what you've seen. And dance dance mode.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Its a fine game. I really liked the game from what I've played but it crashed almost constantly and that was always a massive piss-off. I liked the different races and I enjoyed the quickness of the game.

ADOM was also maybe a little too granular, and UA is fine. I just want it to work. It's way too eay to become a god.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
But.... tree monsters to be a lumberjack forever. I pirated a version but.... I never bothered to even boot it up. There went my interest.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't wait to be Runty McUrotsukidōji the tentacle gendered dwarf.
Ah, yes... I had completely forgotten the new "non-binary-multi-gendered" ADOM.

Menu.png

Yeah... this definitely doesn't look good.
Get Woke...etc

To be fair, I always assumed the gender choices in ADOM COC were satirical.

It's truly hard to tell in CURRENT_YEAR.
In fact they could be seen as satirical, at first glance.
Until one notices that they mentioned this as their goal.

Speaking for myself, I don't give a shit wether an RPG player (or anyone else for that matter) is gay, trans or whatever shit rocks their boat. My personal philosophy regarding human behavior is: "as long as no-one is harming animals or children and everything is made between consenting adults, anyone can do as they please".

But get your sexuality/religion/political affiliation off my face or I'll get extremely pissed!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah pretty gay with the fucking agenda like every other asshole jumping in a faggot konga line.

Buy WOKE
Play WOKE
CfioDhc.png

7LfzJxG.jpg

qsZG2FQ.jpg

Lordy
JOINT DECLARATION OF THE GERMAN GAMES INDUSTRY FOR MORE DIVERSITY

Living diversity and valuing this diversity have a positive effect on society – we are convinced of this as a games industry.
Games overcome borders. More than 2.2 billion people worldwide play computer and video games together – regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, origin or religion. Diverse teams around the globe develop games together and we as the German games industry also stand for this great diversity. We want to enrich the lives of all people worldwide with our games. That is why we stand up for an open society and firmly reject any form of discrimination.

We stand for a games culture based on recognition and appreciation that respects individual identity and the resulting diversity. We stand up for an industry that is free of prejudice and discrimination, that treats all people respectfully and appreciatively – regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age, language, sexual orientation and identity.

We want to promote this great diversity to the best of our ability and jointly take advantage of the resulting opportunities. Because we know that we can only be economically successful if we ourselves actively contribute to a diverse and open society. As an employer, we are constantly on the lookout for the best talents worldwide. Gender equality and equal opportunities are fundamental for us. This is why we are committed to the active promotion of all groups and support equal rights for all sexes.

WE WILL:

1. … stand up for diversity and promote role models.

2. … we live the values of diversity and applying them profitably in various teams and in our organisational structures.

3. … review personnel processes and adapt them where necessary so that competencies and talents can develop optimally.

4. … work for a qualitatively balanced, unbiased and stereotype-free representation of all people in the games industry.

5. … work for a climate in which there is no room for discrimination of any kind and in which conflicts can be addressed openly and resolved in partnership. We also carry these values into our communities. We firmly reject right-wing radicalism, extremism of any kind, hatred and group-focused enmity.

6. … actively campaign against harassment and abuse of power and commit to a working environment free of discrimination and fear.

7. … consciously consider all dimensions of diversity in our games, teams, publications and committees as well as in our events and strengthen them as role models.

8. … work towards ensuring that all sexes are taken into account and comparably remunerated when filling decision-relevant positions.

Well..... won't buy but will watch reviews.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That company will gladly make one for those who want one.

Last edited:

Krice

Arcane
Developer
I don't care about that woke stuff, but most likely it is going to fail as a roguelike that ADOM once was. Even when the first commercial ADOM was released it wasn't that good, because what Thomas did he just kicked then almost abandoned project and began to make money out of it. I can understand it, if there is something to monetize then it is ok I guess. Now I feel the project is heading to a direction which isn't a roguelike game, but in the same style some are trying to market roguelites, like fast(?) action, easy controls etc. I mean Thomas knows what he is doing, he is not a tool, but that's the problem. He doesn't care about roguelikes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom