Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos releasing on August 25th

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Assemble Entertainment; Team ADOM; Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos

Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos, the dungeon crawling successor to classic roguelike ADOM, has received several major updates since launching on Early Access in February. With its latest update, Team ADOM are ready to announce that Ultimate ADOM will be releasing on August 25th. The update itself is combat-focused and features a significant overhaul of the game's character system and looting. Here's the accompanying press release:

Wiesbaden, Germany - 24th June, 2021. The caverns have never been more chaotic, as today, publisher Assemble Entertainment and developer Team ADOM announced an August 25, 2021, full 1.0 release for the hugely popular roguelike Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos. As things wind up for the full Steam launch, Team ADOM today unlocked a new Early Access patch called “Combat Update,” which introduces a complete overhaul to the combat skills system, adding 140 new skills.

The new Combat Skills update offers players more freedom when it comes to weapons and armor compared to the previous model, which locked players in a specific combat type. Now, players have access to a greater variety of weapon and armor types, allowing for more experimental and creative combat styles and character specializations. Additionally, existing weapon skills have been rebalanced with over 20 levels of progression added. Also included in the patch are a plethora of bug fixes, improvements to melee combat, achievements, and trading cards.

If all of that still isn’t enough to get your grindstone spinning, you’ll be thrilled to learn that monster-slaying in Ultimate ADOM is now even more rewarding. Some powerful foes will now drop “treasure troves,” which offer three useful items to choose from. And, if you aren’t diggin’ the first drop, using in-game gold to re-roll the item choice grants another chance to get that item you’ve been after. Lastly, additional prefixes and suffixes are in play for all shield types and ranged weapons, resulting in tens of thousands of new variations of both.

A sequel 25 years in the making, Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos returns players to the world of Ancardia, currently enjoying a rather suspicious lull in cataclysmic events. Unfortunately, something is ‘a stirrin’ in the caverns below, and it’s up to you to head down into the darkness and see what sort of evil is brewing. Luckily for you, there is a nearly endless combination of spells, weapons, and abilities available to get you through the dungeons safely...perhaps not the first time, or the second time, but definitely at some point.

Bringing together the past and the present, the game contains all the hallmarks of the genre but with contemporary stylings and additions for current hardware, like a modern user interface and support for controllers. Players can also choose between a slick new graphic mode and the more classic “old school” ASCII look, on top of the ability to toggle between 3D and top-down view.

Developed by Team ADOM and published by Assemble Entertainment, Ultimate ADOM - Caverns of Chaos is fully launching on Steam on August 25, 2021. Play now via Early Access and add the game to your wishlist by visiting the Steam Store page. Learn more at the official Ultimate ADOM website.
    Addition details about the combat update, including a video that goes over the main improvements, are available here.

• Shit x 4
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
    When they first announced Ultimate ADOM it looked as if they were making the ultimate Roguelike RPG.

Then - going along with the tabletop RPG "revival craze" of some years ago they stupidly decided to launch a KS for a P&P version of ADOM. It was a complete disaster and a terrible waste of time and resources.

[​IMG]

Later (after aborting the P&P RPG and failing to deliver the product to the backers) they decided to make their game engine full 3D.
    A very cheap and pointless 3D view. I love ADOM and I played their free demo of the game to see if it managed to improve the first game's mechanics. I played for less than an hour and I never touched it again.

[​IMG]

And now - when all the reviews state that the game is crap - they decide to get it off Early Access...

[​IMG]

Yeah, this is probably gonna end really well , unfortunately.
    ...But I honestly hope not. The first ADOM is a really great game and I think its devs deserve better.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    We haven't even seen bobblehead mode where it is 5x bigger than what you've seen. And dance dance mode.

^ Top  
  4. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

TheDiceMustRoll
    Its a fine game. I really liked the game from what I've played but it crashed almost constantly and that was always a massive piss-off. I liked the different races and I enjoyed the quickness of the game.

ADOM was also maybe a little too granular, and UA is fine. I just want it to work. It's way too eay to become a god.

^ Top  
  5. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    I am confused. How many versions of ADOM are there?

^ Top  
  6. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Tweed Professional Kobold Patron

Tweed
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I can't wait to be Runty McUrotsukidōji the tentacle gendered dwarf.

^ Top  
  8. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Outmind Augur

Outmind
    Go back looks like it's the most compelling choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    But.... tree monsters to be a lumberjack forever. I pirated a version but.... I never bothered to even boot it up. There went my interest.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    ^ Top  
  12. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    In fact they could be seen as satirical, at first glance.
    Until one notices that they mentioned this as their goal.

Speaking for myself, I don't give a shit wether an RPG player (or anyone else for that matter) is gay, trans or whatever shit rocks their boat. My personal philosophy regarding human behavior is: "as long as no-one is harming animals or children and everything is made between consenting adults, anyone can do as they please".

But get your sexuality/religion/political affiliation off my face or I'll get extremely pissed!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Yeah pretty gay with the fucking agenda like every other asshole jumping in a faggot konga line.

Buy WOKE
    Play WOKE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lordy
    Show Spoiler

Well..... won't buy but will watch reviews.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mordru Educated Patron

Mordru
    Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Has anyone sent him a Trans Lives Matter postcard?

^ Top  
  15. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    That company will gladly make one for those who want one.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    ^ Top  
  16. Krice Arcane Developer

Krice
    I don't care about that woke stuff, but most likely it is going to fail as a roguelike that ADOM once was. Even when the first commercial ADOM was released it wasn't that good, because what Thomas did he just kicked then almost abandoned project and began to make money out of it. I can understand it, if there is something to monetize then it is ok I guess. Now I feel the project is heading to a direction which isn't a roguelike game, but in the same style some are trying to market roguelites, like fast(?) action, easy controls etc. I mean Thomas knows what he is doing, he is not a tool, but that's the problem. He doesn't care about roguelikes.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.