Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ULTRAKILL - Fast-paced retro FPS inspired by DMC - now available on Early Access

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wolf3D had lives. Doom had pistolstart on death. Shock had restoration bays. Underworld had the sapling. All of these also had infinite saving at will. Naturally, the players chose the option with no downside, completely nullifying the games' unique elements and any sense of tension along with them. What I'm saying is I think it makes total sense to restrict saving. Doesn't always work, but worth trying.

If it arouses you to play without saving that's cool, but the point is I've been quicksaving in shooters since Wolf3D so the idea of removing that to be "old school" is ridiculous.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are they emulating the PS1 wobbling? WTF am i looking at.

FWIW the "PS1 wobbling" is actually affine texture mapping without subpixel accurate rasterization, many software-rendered games had this (e.g. Tomb Raider 1, Whiplashm ) especially on DOS where games ran at very slow hardware and perspective correct rendering with subpixel accurate rasterization could be very slow. Some games used a hybrid approach with the world (that tends to have polygons that cover a large area on screen) to use perspective correct texture mapping, often with subpixel accurate rasterization while objects (that tend to have small polygons) using the cheaper affine texture mapping.

So there isn't anything PS1-specific about the "wobble", it is just that it was forced by PS1's primitive rasterizer and PS1 was *very* popular so many younger gamers associate it with that console. But that wobble could be found in many PC games too (some games, like Carmageddon, even had an option to enable it everywhere if you had a slow PC, though the results could be a bit dizzying without the appropriate tesselation).

Sorry, just a minor pet peeve that reminds me of heated PC-vs-Playstation high school discussions :-P

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
That video made me nauseous. I have no issue with FPS games experimenting with whatever sort of gameplay they want, be it DMC style combo based action or whatever, I think it's good that developers try new stuff in an old genre, after all if I don't like what I see then I simply won't play it. But why the need to invoke references to classic FPS games? Which immediately draws my attention to the game and makes me think it will be something that it is clearly not. I think everyone here would be far less critical of these games if they just said "We are a new FPS trying new things." But if you are going to name Quake then proceed to make a game that has nothing in common with Quake then you can fuck off. It's disingenuous, and as a result more and more people are getting the idea that this is actually what older FPS games like Quake and Doom were like. That in order to be like Quake all you need to do is slap together a barebones shooter, fill it with gore and explosions, and layer superficial "retro" filters over it, paying no attention to what really what those games what they were.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, is this mostly bitching about the graphics I read? For shame, Codex.
I dont require ultra crisp graphix to enjoy a game but when the graphics make it harder for me to see what the fuck is going on and have a nauseating wobbling effect that makes me wish to vomit, there is problem in there.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I dont require ultra crisp graphix to enjoy a game but when the graphics make it harder for me to see what the fuck is going on and have a nauseating wobbling effect that makes me wish to vomit, there is problem in there.
Yeah. Looks like nintendo ds game that rendered in 320p resolution then uglily upscaled.

It's literally sickening.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah. Looks like nintendo ds game that rendered in 320p resolution then uglily upscaled.

You can disable the meme filters and gore for an actually readable experience. Though YouTube compression makes it seem blurrier than it actually is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dude, this looks like total ass even without the whatever filters. ULTRAKILL! MULTIPLIER X3.00!! BOOM!!! BLOODY SCREEN!!!! SHAKING SCREEN!!!!!

NOW START BUNNYHOPPING LIKE SOME TARD!!!!!

~[CHECKPOINT]~

Are the fucking devs all autistic, or what? I get sick after watching it for 2 minutes, can't imagine actually playing it.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dude, this looks like total ass even without the whatever filters. ULTRAKILL! MULTIPLIER X3.00!! BOOM!!! BLOODY SCREEN!!!! SHAKING SCREEN!!!!!

NOW START BUNNYHOPPING LIKE SOME TARD!!!!!

~[CHECKPOINT]~

Are the fucking devs all autistic, or what? I get sick after watching it for 2 minutes, can't imagine actually playing it.
For the record, the style info screen can also be disabled, alongside screen shake and the bloody screen effect, and there's an option for a more minimalist Quake-style HUD too. There's no real bunnyhopping either, you just slide for the most speed.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You can disable the meme filters and gore for an actually readable experience. Though YouTube compression makes it seem blurrier than it actually is.

that does look better thanks. the gameplay itself doesn't look bad and you can turn off that huge eyesore box on upper right.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Project Warlock was funny for this... it had limited lives, no saving, and the developer said it was to "make it feel like the old school games."

They're hipsters, people who have no style or identity (or vision) of their own, so they are desperate to be a part of... something... anything.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That in order to be like Quake all you need to do is slap together a barebones shooter, fill it with gore and explosions
reminds me of quake 2

Perhaps you're underselling Quake II a little bit. At least it had an aesthetic, encounter design, the opportunity to play non-linearly, hand-crafted levels packed with secrets and environmental storytelling, details. Quake II had a number of things going for it.

Lightningstrike197

Barely Literate
Played the demo and it's actually really good. The game is designed around using your toolkit to optimize for speed and/or style points, as opposed to Doom and the like which are designed more around finding resource effiecient ways of approaching encounters, and the ways the levels are laid out reflect that. The levels often use verticality to make you use your aerial moveset more effectively to get through it faster and uses breakeable glass panels either as a means of killing large groups of enemies quickly with the tradeoff that you create pitfalls for yourself, or as a means of enabling you to shorten the path you take to get through a room. You can take it slow and play the game like its Doom or Quake or whatever, and it'll be pretty boring, but that's not at all how the game is designed to be played.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Thread demonstrates why ‘retro FPS’ is an inherently unsellable product, since the people that liked FPS back in the 90s are now low-T old fogies with no more taste for either gore, explosions or fast twitch gameplay.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is the point of making a review for an indie game he wouldn't like though? I can see making negative reviews for popular games that everyone knows about as a countermeasure to marketers shoveling dollars at the furnace of hype, but there isn't much of a point to grab some random FPS off Steam or itch.io and shit all over it. That way lies Jim Sterling and i think even he eventually figured out nobody cares.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's not the fact he is reviewing them. That title alone speaks for itself. It's something i'd do if i wanted to look as a shill as a joke, but this guy is doing it for real.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom