Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Un(der) used game settings

Outmind

Augur
Let's face it - we've been inside a million mines, towers, dungeons and forests. We've seen countless deserts, plains, tundras and mountains. We've toured the taverns in dozens of metropoli.

How about a change of scenery?

What do you guys think would be a good and un(der) used setting to explore / exploit in some fictional upcoming rpg title?

I can't think of any unused setting at the moment, but i was pleasantly surprised by the savannah in two worlds 2. I doubt that any major rpg thus far has used a savannah as the staging ground, and if any has, i can't seem to remember any.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New World kind of setting with a colonial power colonizing an unexplored continent.

Middle Eastern kind of setting, inspired by Mesopotamian and Arabic mythology.

Fantasy settings with either pre- or post-medieval technology and/or inspiration. Most RPGs we get are in some way based on medieval Europe, but where's fantasy based on Greece or Rome, where's fantasy in a renaissance setting with gunpowder developed and natural sciences on the rise?

Also, real medieval settings. The stuff we get in fantasy is only loosely based on the middle ages (basically there's people using swords and chainmail and there's kings and castles and that's it), a setting that has an actual vassalage system would be awesome.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
New World kind of setting with a colonial power colonizing an unexplored continent.

Fantasy settings with either pre- or post-medieval technology and/or inspiration. Most RPGs we get are in some way based on medieval Europe, but where's fantasy based on Greece or Rome, where's fantasy in a renaissance setting with gunpowder developed and natural sciences on the rise?

Also, real medieval settings. The stuff we get in fantasy is only loosely based on the middle ages (basically there's people using swords and chainmail and there's kings and castles and that's it), a setting that has an actual vassalage system would be awesome.
This, basically. History offers so many potentially great settings, yet we get the same generic fantasy world again and again. How about Rome? Greece? Byzantium? Mesopotamia? Better yet: Be the count of fucking Monte Cristo. You have a few decades to train your character in swordfighting, languages, history, make alliances all over the world and plan your revenge. I'd pay for that. Twice.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The alternative title dlc for this thread is "Inaccessible game settings"

I really would like a new Al-Qadim game, narrative adventure or dungeon crawler I do not really care it has more potential than another FR slumber party

An epic level tactical squad dungeon crawler based on hindu mythology would be awesome and I say dungeon crawler because all the awesome in hindu mythology is the craziest shit they get up to on the battlefield

A brutal high casualty x-comish isometric anti-supernatural/horror special operations game in a modern setting where your units take on stuff humans should not be even trying to handle is also one of my dreaaaammmss

This Cu Chulainn guy also needs to have his own game and no my dear weeabros Fate Stay Night is not enough

a superhero rpg would be interesting I guess, think a setting where everyone is a superhero, stuff like that

a weird west rpg setting
"Weird West is used to describe a combination of the Western with another literary genre, usually horror, occult, or fantasy"

all these have inherent barriers to entry anyway even the superhero one because you don't get your personal power fantasy if everyone is a superhero oh dear me

I might as well read some rulebooks and check the internet for this online tabletop roleplaying group stuff that's going on

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
sgc_meltdown said:
all these have inherent barriers to entry anyway even the superhero one because you don't get your personal power fantasy if everyone is a superhero oh dear me

Inherent barriers to entry? Fuck this, when I see an RPG that is 1001 nights with muskets and creative magic system including spells like levitation I'd immediately buy this because it's fucking AWESOME.

Morrowind also got pretty popular despite not being generic cookie cutter "fantasy" (lol there is nothing fantastical about Oblivion or Dragon Age the devs couldn't even be arsed to copypaste something interesting let alone come up with an idea of their own) so I call bullshit on your argument. There's enough people out there who'd totally buy an interesting setting and you can even sell it to the retards by hyping it as DIFFERENT which makes it SO TOTALLY HIP!!!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually, Alan Moore once made a comic about the police of a city where everyone is either a superhero, pulp hero, mad scientist or divinity. It was great stuff, and the city of Neopolis was a load of fun (Moore also experimented with writing lyrics in the comic, which are up to the reader realize into music of such a city), as the idea was that after WW2 ended, the world realized the world was full of all kinds of superheroes, supernatural things and super-science, and that nobody wanted those kinds of folk around their neighbourhood (both due to inferiority complex and societal adjustment problems).

But yea, the police department is a load of fun too, most of all because they generally rely on their wits more than superpowers (only one of them is actually absurdly powerful in the setting), as a lot of them don't even have combat-usable superpowers or equipment of their own.

Not to mention the series was penned by Zander Cannon and inked by Gene Ha, so it looked gorgeous.

Oh yea, it was called Top Ten. I might post it someday, since it's another one of those "hard to find" titles, though the entire series and all its spin-offs by Moore have been collected in paperbacks.

PS: Personally, I'd like a CthulhuTech engel RPG.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Jarlfrank bro you probably did not realise when I said that I meant in the decisive marketing executive mentality, hands on the green light and my investors will be pleased sense

it's okay you are forgiven bro

as it is these days any setting beyond generic is used for game differentiation fodder via aesthetics or plot overlay

Jamestown, indie game

the setting is steampunk space colonialism

and of course it's a wacky shmup where you and ben franklin shoot spanish aliens and shit

your 1001 arabian nights with muskets will probably be turned into genie of war may cry

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
and if all goes well mr weller might really go for the generation ship rpg he talked about, making that the first hard science fiction rpg in decades

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Native american tribal war, before guns and the colonizers. Nomad strategic layer.
Thinking of something like sword of the samurai, but much more complex, with JA2 like gameplay (tactical battles) but even more teams.

Then, after sometime (which if you play perfectly, you could unite the continent on), you meet the colonists (and eventually go to war with them, if you fuck up your diplomacy frauds).

They finance rebellions on your empire, practice scorched land and try to spread pestilence.

Not sure if i can think of a way for the natives to genuinely hold back the various powers... It would be extremely hard anyway, even if you unified the continent.

almondblight

Arcane
A reconstruction era game would be cool. A devastated south where scalawags, freedman, and carpetbaggers are competing against remnants of the old regime for control. You'd have federal troops on one side and the Klan on the other. Quests that require you to crawl through a swamp to spy on a secret meeting in a shack, or laying siege to the mansion of a plantation owner.

I guess this setting could never be used because of politics, but perhaps elements of it could at least be lifted.

A prohibition era or noir era detective tale, where you get to decide how much you want to bend the law, if you want to play ball with criminals or corrupt cops, etc.

The setting for that game that was mentioned years ago, Dropship, was interesting. Have a team of commandos fly around the moons of Jupiter acting as soldiers for hire and doing missions. Actually, any "have a team of soldier for hire types that you send out on different missions and upgrade between missions" type of game would be awesome.

A warlord-era China setting (China around 1911 - 1929 when it was a country carved up between different warlords using a wide variety of weapons).

A near-future gangland setting. Create your own crew, decide what gangs to join with and which to fight against, claim your own turf, etc. Could have tons of skills, from unarmed and armed combat, to dealing, athletics (letting you scale fences, buildings), persuasion, mechanical skills (setting bombs, disarming traps, etc.). Add in corrupt cops and city officials and greedy land developers, give the people in the neighborhood a personality, and you'd have a pretty interesting game.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Vaarna_Aarne said:
sgc_meltdown said:
genie of war may cry
This actually sounds like a totally awesome game.

If the character you play as is the Genie from Aladdin, all the better.

I'm in the mood to kill ya dude, ya ain't never had a foe like me :dance:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
This actually sounds like a totally awesome game.

executive heir jasmine struggling in the corpo-court market intrigue of a cyberpunk neo-arabia and then a scruffy street decker called Al/Addin gets his hands on a mysterious LAMP program that changes everything

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The same setting as Pirates! but turn based, with RPG mechanics and squad based tactical combat.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i'd love some crpgs based on pnp settings that aren't wod or dnd crap, like empire of the peral throne, when gravity fails, degenesis, opus anima or mechanical dream.....

Something where most of the action takes place under the sea. With hidden grottos, glass domed cities, legendary sized creatures, unfathomably deep undersea canyons, etc. Futuristic / Fantasy either is fine.

Underwater_city_by_anez_erynlis.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I'd really like some modern RPGs. Conspiracy theory, that sort of thing. And hate me but I'd like to see RPGs in some estabilished settings like 40K or WoD. One can dream...

JarlFrank said:
This would be really cool. I'm really fucking tired of the standard fantasy.

SCO said:
Not sure if i can think of a way for the natives to genuinely hold back the various powers... It would be extremely hard anyway, even if you unified the continent.
Spirit magic! :M

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Excidium said:
SCO said:
Spirit magic! :M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:L ... th_America

or you could just make it into a (realism fudged) hold out pyrric war thing

perhaps just make diplomacy and co-existance the easier path of resistance. ha ha ha human nature what's that

""Colonization would make of Germany a continental empire fit to rival the United States, another hardy frontier state based upon exterminatory colonialism and slave labor."

I would prefer uniting celts versus romans though, less medieval total war macro and more complex clan stuff perhaps leaning a bit towards KoDP style here and there

Phelot

Arcane
JarlFrank said:

THIS THIS THIS! Except not in the tropics. I'm tired of tropic areas. I'd love it in a New England like setting.

Yeah ancient world settings would be awesome. Sumerian and Babylonian areas would be a nice change.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
phelot said:
JarlFrank said:

Yeah ancient world settings would be awesome. Sumerian and Babylonian areas would be a nice change.
That's the AoD 2 setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom