Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Un(der) used game settings

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Post Apocalyptic Fantasy with Humans, Dwarves and Elves fighting for the few remaining precious resources.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
how about Light Moon instead

a pretty place with lots of pure fresh water ruled by cute dragon queens and friendly elementals do all the work for everyone and as you can tell from the title at night it is pretty bright so the whole place is still pretty except the dragon queens don't need to carry umbrellas anymore when they sing dragonsong concerts for their loyal subjects :3

laclongquan

Arcane
An alien battlecruiser invade Earth in 19th century: steampunk versus SF. From the rivershore of farming villages to the sooty wall of industrial cities with steam engines to the gleaming domed forcefield of alien Landing Zone.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Storyfag said:
Warhammer Fantasy Role Play
This.

Stereotypical Villain said:
Warhammer Fantasy.

Nobody gives a shit about that awesome setting now a days, it's all about 40k. :/ It's a bit of a shame, to be honest, and I'd like to see WH Fantasy make a return one of these days.
Also this.

I wouldn't mind the mechanics of the system recreated too.

GreyViper

Prophet
Dark SUn, Ravenloft and Dragonlance could really use a kick start. Also Crystal Dynamics should get off their asses and realize nobody wants a Laracroft X game. They have a IP called Legacy of Kain thats unused. They even joked about making a GTA style LOK, later saying not possible in that engine. Well what about now, no reason they couldn't use the lessons learned from Croft series.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
RPG set in a fictional Fortune 500 type company with characters whose stats/proficiencies are reflected as business acumen and turn based combat is done as presentations/meetings/email exchanges/etc

BECOME THE HERO CEO

SAVE THE WORLD COMPANY

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
cboyardee said:
It would make such a good backdrop for a grand strategy game too, but it will never happen because nobody is interested in the time period and government and rulership were so decentralized and foreign to anything today that it would be almost impossible to recreate. Too bad.

Oh yeah, I played some RPG a couple years ago that took place in like the 9th century maybe? I can't remember what it was called but you could play as Norse, Slavs or Byzantine. It sucked big time but it was a cool premise.

Someone please make a game where you can play as a marauding Scythian nomad sociopath.

Well there is a grand strategy game : Great Invasions that covers the period from 350-1066. It's a bit like Europa Universalis in some respects as it's made by the guy that designed the Europa Universalis board game. It's a bit quirky in that you control several nations at once(though you can mod it to just rule one) because of all the shortlived nomadic 'nations' that came and went one after the other during this time.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Every setting besides Tolkien-inspired fantasy is underused for CRPGs.

Wolfus

Arcane
I would like to see flying town in steampunk setting. Or something victorian. Or maybe something like The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. TV show.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
curry said:
I'd love to see a game that takes place on the surface of the Sun. SSHHHH smell the burning flesh. :roll:

Oblivion was pretty close

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

mondblut

Arcane
cboyardee said:
Yeah, this. The closest things I can think of are Teudogar, which is too early, and Darklands, which is too late. It would make such a good backdrop for a grand strategy game too, but it will never happen because nobody is interested in the time period and government and rulership were so decentralized and foreign to anything today that it would be almost impossible to recreate. Too bad.

Yeah, we had a thread on this a while ago.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=48898

Oh yeah, I played some RPG a couple years ago that took place in like the 9th century maybe? I can't remember what it was called but you could play as Norse, Slavs or Byzantine. It sucked big time but it was a cool premise.

Konung. Piece of shit. And not a good premise at all, "russians making a game about ancient russia" is a recipe for disaster :smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mondblut said:
Konung. Piece of shit. And not a good premise at all, "russians making a game about ancient russia" is a recipe for disaster :smug:

I wouldn't call hilarious propaganda-inspired historical inconsitencies a desaster. If the game is good (which is also a matter of chance when Russians are at work) and not too buggy (also, Russians) it might end up to be an incredibly awesome parody.

mondblut

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I wouldn't call hilarious propaganda-inspired historical inconsitencies a desaster. If the game is good (which is also a matter of chance when Russians are at work) and not too buggy (also, Russians) it might end up to be an incredibly awesome parody.

You foreigners are probably amused by balalaikas and matryoshkas too. Yet I'd rather personally murder every single russian as long as that ensures I never hear of this crap again. :x

covr

Prophet
Patron
Nazi concentration camps setting. You have to cheat evil Germans and steal shit from other prisoners.
Also, Vatican setting, everything takes place in Rome, you cheat cardinals and steal shit from other priests.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I once wrote a small design doc abou an RPG where you play two "characters", your human form on earth set in New England, 20th century and your mind being warped to some "alien" planet millions of lightyears away, both branches connect to each other (=storyfaggotry), based on the Lovecraft Novel where the same thing happens. Naturally, it never made it past the design stage. ;)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
covr said:
Also, Vatican setting, everything takes place in Rome, you cheat cardinals and steal shit from other priests.

Medieval/Renaissance church politics would actually make for a really awesome game.

CorpseZeb

Learned
covr said:
Nazi concentration camps setting. You have to cheat evil Germans and steal shit from other prisoners.

The Great Escape. Edit: Ah, I forgot a great one - "I have no mouth, and I must scream" - of course.

Hudson Hawk.

Ps. ...sort of...

I like the idea of a restoration era RPG.

I myself thought out an original setting that was similar. It is might be a mature/rustic/gritty RPG where the setting takes place during the last months of the civil war. You play as a deserter from the Confederate army who tries to make his way down to Louisiana. The game would be a "low magic" setting but small elements of a dark sort of Vodoo or Demonic magic.

You'd work your way through burned out raided southern towns and plantations, army camps, Indian reserves and the swampy strange landscapes and towns of Cajun/Vodoo Louisiana. Just to name a few.

The player would have to fear both confederate and union troops. The game would be dark and use the reoccurring theme of failure, sacrifice and fighting one's own demons. Musket bullets back then were molded by the rifle men themselves so "crafting" certain bullets could be a feature. You'd have to use a combination of Firearm and Melee Skill, because the majority of rifles were one shot.

Phelot

Arcane
"Cajun/Vodoo Louisiana"

This is a cool setting that sadly isn't used much in anything these days. I loved the Creepy/Warren comics set in bayous. Evil old witches living in the swamp or African voodoo.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Stone Age. Old school barbarianism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom