Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Uncover the Fermi Paradox in KOVA

Mandy

Barely Literate
Hello Codex-ers! This is my first post here, so I'll take this occasion to introduce myself - I'm Mandy, and I run Black Hive Media with my husband Blake. We've been making games for a while, mostly on iOS and one of our first games together, Chibi Chaingun, worked quite well a few years back - I learned to code for it and haven't stopped since then. The idea kept growing on us and we've recently gone public with our first PC/Console game as a studio, KOVA.

It's a sci-fi action/RPG in good old side-scrolling fashion, with a few tweaks - we've just gone live on Kickstarter so if it sounds like your thing there's more info there: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackhive/kova-side-scrolling-action-rpg

4418cc07e00dd2e809b1512c833c6e84_original.gif

Kova is set in a distant, technologically-advanced future when humans have colonized planets across galaxies - but haven't encountered intelligent alien life in the whole universe, which is where the underlying theme of the Fermi Paradox kicks in.

62dee26f1d61a2fbd02161923783dd49_original.gif

The protagonist is Kova Rimor, a space mercenary who accidentally comes across a foreign beacon, and investigates the mystery behind it as she explores different planets. You'll interact with friends and foes alike in branching conversations, battle hostile forces and take on side missions to increase the abilities of your weapons, suit and ship, metroidvania-style.

scrn5_1_orig.jpg

What do you all think? Would love to get feedback on it!

Me and Blake will actually be streaming an early alpha slice on Friday on Twitch, 6pm CST - if you want to see what it plays like so far and ask us anything we'll be live there: https://www.twitch.tv/black_hive :D

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The artstyle and graphics looks great at least. Is it metroidvania style where you can go back after you unlock powers etc or a linear progression?

Is there a levelling system?
Dialogue choices?
Whats the conbat gonna like?

Too lazy to read in detail or clicking links atm beco z i am really tired atm

Mandy

Barely Literate
Dialogue is bothersome to read, the thin font and dim text color in combination with the static noise makes the text blend in too much with the background. I'd make the text whiter, or maybe bolder. Whichever makes it more distinguishable yet retains the stylistic design. Probably make the noise more discrete too.

Thank you so much ESh! We'll fix that one soon. And that's super useful info re: technical stuff, we're big PC gamers ourselves but it's easy to forget when we're on the making side :D And we'd love to be on GOG.com (fingers crossed for later this year.)

The artstyle and graphics looks great at least. Is it metroidvania style where you can go back after you unlock powers etc or a linear progression?

Is there a levelling system?
Dialogue choices?
Whats the conbat gonna like?

Thank you HoboForEternity! Yep, as you level up and get new weapons you can go back to previous planets to try your new skills at areas that were locked out before. The levelling system works with abilities mainly, and gear that you can quick-craft. Dialogue will change depending on which faction you align with in the game, but in side-missions you'll also get different options in dialogue too.

As for the combat, there are different types of weapons and ammo, and you can aim and take cover, a little bit like in a FPS I suppose. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom