Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underground Gamer shut down due to THE MAN??!

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
screenshot20130601at115.png

Feels bad, mang. :(

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
FAQ said:
1. What happened?
TL;DR: We have legal problems, courtesy of one of the "copyright protection" groups. That's what you get when you have organizations whose sole purpose is scoring points by taking down sites. They don't care about what they take down. They just do what they are paid for.

2. Is this the same thing as with BG?
BG's shutdown was pre-emptive. Trust me if I say that this one wasn't planned at all.

3. Does this mean UG is gone?
No, we are not gone.

4. Is this related to you closing invites recently?
This is what closing invites was supposed to prevent from happening.

5. How/when will we get to know more?
irc://underground-gamer.com/#chat , we will release new information as it becomes available.

6. Is the user data safe?
We went scorched earth on the server - everything that COULD be wiped, was. Everything that could NOT be wiped was thoroughly encrypted.

7. Will UG be back?
See #3. We can rebuild it. We have backups. We have the technology.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Piracy aside, it's a shame because they had a lot of rare or hard to find games there that wouldn't be available otherwise.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is just horrible. The very best site for finding games that were otherwise completely unavailable except for mabye super high priced e-bay auctions.

Jive One

Educated
I remember how astonished I was when I first signed up with UG. Here were all the games I never got around to playing and they even had lesser known games I had owned like Ascendancy and Timelapse. Hope they're back soon :(

Cassidy

Arcane
First demonoid now this.

adyAzY.gif

I don't see the problem, they only allowed gog releases of pre-2006 games and gog makes nice installers. :M

CDProjekt sued people for allegedly pirating Twitcher and shutted down tons of abandonware sites. Who else would pull this but them?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Stupid fucks should never have allowed GOG torrents.

Yep, especially since abandonware omly makes sense when it is indeed abandonned and without any other mean of distribution. I still understood the distribution of various versions of the games on UG even if they were sold on GOG if they provided stuff that the GOG release didn't have, like Windows versions vs the DOS only releases of some games on GOG or the expansions that aren't always sold by GOG. But distributing the GOG releases themselves was a mistake.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CDProjekt [...] shutted down tons of abandonware sites.
Really? So why is it that the biggest ones (Abandonia, Oldgames.sk or Abandonware France) are still operating?

:roll:
Because Slovakia is a lawless hellhole, obviously. And the US based companies still only remember Czechoslovakia and are sending all the C&D letters to Prague.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nRp7bIZ.png

:roll: They used to provide a download.

EDIT:
T8gWJ3n.png

A pattern emerges. I guess GOG doesn't care about abandonware sites as long as they don't interfere with their money. UG putting their releases was a clear provocation, although there is no way of knowing if it was gog or just some big publisher protecting an ancient trademark cause they might want to rape it in the future.

Twg5WbK.png

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't want to rain on your anti establishment parade, but that is precisely how abandonware shoould work, at least as preached by its staunchest proponents - it only provides downloads of games that are either impossible or prohibitively expensive to obtain due to no longer being officially offered for purchase. Blood no longer fits the criterium, so it's reasonable to offer a link to a legal buying option instead of a free download. Or you can just rename the site to oldwarezia.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Really? So why is it that the biggest ones (Abandonia, Oldgames.sk or Abandonware France) are still operating?

Because they've removed GOG content as far as I know.

I too think that CDProjekt are most likely the ones who closed them.

... FUCK !!! UG was the best old games source by far... Probably the only place you could find a lot of obscure forgotten gems...

:x

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh well.I think it's time to reinstall back aMule. Although it is one large piece of suck for most things, you can't beat it for the rare shit. I guees Peer To Peer is still the only one way to save Culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom