Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underkeep is a cozy-looking grid-based dungeon crawler with turn-based combat coming next year

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Rake in Grass; Underkeep

https://www.rakeingrass.com/game_underkeep.php

Underkeep is a loving tribute to the role-playing classics of the 90s with turn-based combat and grid-based movement, bringing the best of old-school dungeon crawlers to the modern era.

Assemble a party of four adventurers in a dangerous fantasy world and delve deeper into the heart of the Underkeep to discover its long-forgotten secrets and uncover the stories of its inhabitants.

Coming to Windows on Steam and Nintendo Switch.

FEATURES

• Choose your own playstyle - Assemble a party of four adventurers with unique abilities and spells. Combine and upgrade their powers to overcome their weaknesses. Create synergies by gearing up with fine equipment with game changing properties.
  • Explore, overcome, fight - Explore dungeons, pick items, fight enemies, meet NPCs. Overcome traps and deadly environments and descent deeper into the heart of the Underkeep.
  • Turn-based combat - Take as much time as you want to think out your next move. Don't worry when your pizza arrives in the middle of a fight.
  • Fluid controls with full controller support - Play either with mouse and keyboard or grab your controller and enjoy the game from the comfort of your couch after a busy day. The skip animations feature allows you to play at your own pace. No more waiting for tedious animations to finish.
  • In-game automap - In-game automap with custom marks so you never get lost.

DemonKing

Arcane
The party members look kind of crazy in that trailer - seems to include a beholder, bearded Avatar dude and a bugbear with multiple eyes (plus one angry woman).

Also kudos for the EOB2 tribute with the giant squashed into a 10x10 grid and punching the entire party simultaneously.

Steam page says turn based combat so possibly more of a Wizardry than Dungeon Master clone.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
People who describe games as "cozy" belong in mass graves
Honestly it's become a plague on Steam recently. I believe it's legitimately seen as a marketing trend and therefore the word gets over-used.

Luckily in this case it's Infinitron and not the devs themselves who used it.

Looks and sounds quite pleasant, wishlisted.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I get EOB & Dungeon Master II vibes. I like it, but I bet this is going to be an easy mode game. The party seems small, the interface sucks, and the character portraits are rather friendly and non-serious. Easy mode game = cozy. Pass.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
as a box of unopened chocolates this has potential, but it's probably going to be overly easy and the UI gives away the fact that the combat system is more likely than not retardedly oversimplified what with the one-attack-button-one-spell-setup thing it's got going on

so far most of the first person rpgs we've gotten since the renaissance have been focused on aesthetics to the exclusion of gameplay

Real time + grid movement makes no sense to me.

it's so ass

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Games with vibe & esthetics like this need to be shilled hard. Not just this art style but this one as well. This is game where you feel like main audience while playing. Where you feel at home. THIS MORE!

V17

Educated
Looks like a love letter to Interplay's Stonekeep.
The name is likely a throwback to Undercroft, their previous turn based dungeon crawler that was later purchased by Jagex, killed, and then given back to Rake in Grass and released for free. It was pretty decent iirc, but that was a long time ago. I don't really see any significant similarities to Stonekeep.

gooseman

Educated
Looks like eye of the beholder to me, practically the same UI and crawling giants.
eob2-azure5-02.png

But EoB was real time. This is likely a mix of a bunch of different games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom