Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie Underlair - roguelike dungeon crawler with optional co-op

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Ularis Badler, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Hello everyone, I would like to share with you a project I've been working on since last August: Underlair.

The game aims to be a co-op, dungeon crawler, roguelike party based RPG, with mixed realtime and turn based mechanics.
    It's still in a very early state of development with most of its 2D art being placeholder.

Some key features include:
    • Single player & Co-op up to 3 players (party split).
    • Permadeath.
    • Procedural map generation.
    • Procedural quests.
    • Grid based movement in a 3D world.
    • Tactical formations.
    • Item crafting.
    • Survival (supply management)
    • Exploration.
    You can find a more detailed description of its features here.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Interesting Interesting x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • incline incline x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    So in 2013 you start
    http://kharmasoul.blogspot.com
    A roguelike with a yuge feature list, drop it later.

Then in 2017 start
    https://rebel-crusader.blogspot.com
    A remake in rl style.
    Also lol:
    "I don't know when RC's development will resume since I'm truly focused in Kharma Soul for the time being, a massive Roguelike being developed by me my bud Ki. We are committed developing a game set in an unique world offering a deep story, races and lore. I will reveal further details when we have most of the features settled down."
    and
    "Rebel Crusader's development unfolds in my spare time and everything is being done by myself and I tend to sacrifice my personal life with friends and family when working on it. This means its development rate is rather inconsistent but I do plan to eventually finish it, knowing it currently stands as one of my life's goals."

Now, its datetime.current_year and a new life goal is Underlair, now in Unity!

See you in... 2013 2017 2021 2025!

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Despair Despair x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler

All you say is correct but unfortunately, your list is far from being complete. Looking into to my project folder, it actually goes back to the year 2005, with a total of nearly 20 projects, none of them finished, naturally. Regardless, it has been a great learning process and all I can say is that I should have started using Unity long ago. In 6 months using Unity, I managed to develop more than all those past years combined and the funny thing about all this, is that I've come to know other game developers sharing similar experiences, which is a sort of a mental relief to me.

Thanks for the trouble you went through to remind me of my incredible journey. See you in 2025.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 18
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    As a big fan of roguelikes, you should rethink this. I've never seen them done in an interesting way outside of a very few specific instances that took a long, long time to get there(e.g., Dwarf Fortress.)
    Most good roguelikes have hand-made quests.
    Looks neat, going to keep an eye on this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Yes, I totally understand what you mean. That is something I will actually leave for last.
    There are several aspects of the game that I still need to take care of. Some things have already changed when I look back at the original premise. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    Imma point out more things:
    No one is playing blobbers. Deadest genre ever. Who are the 13 players globally gonna co-op with lol?

• Disagree x 6
    • Agree x 4
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Nobody plays them because developers refuse to learn from Wizardry 8 and instead keep trying to remake the wheel.
    It would be like if every cRPG was just a rehash of goldbox games after Fallout was released. Enjoyable, but it would get stale.

^ Top  
  8. gabel Learned

gabel
    Yeah, no thanks. Good luck though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    >gives 'disagree' rating to post about none playing blobbers
    >posts 'nobody plays them because!'
    hehe

I dont like blobbers, but my guess would be that their defining characteristics - gridbased, 3d fps tb combat in a blob - were real technological limitations once and are now dead. None but nostalgics accept them.
    If you remove both - grid and tb in a blob - than the game is not really a blobber anymore.

With the removal of 1 - still a blobber. Eg Might and Magic, free movement, blob phase combat.
    Or Grimlock with grid but rt hacking.
    If you drop both, its a walking sim like Oblivion.

Imo, after thinking about this while writing this posit, the only innovation in blobber design is toward more abstraction. Combat can be made into cards! WOW CARDS! Every tard loves cards now!

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Patron Shitposter Developer

Tavernking
    Best of luck with this project, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

^ Top  
  11. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Blobbers will be obsolete when someone comes up with a better way to do first person RPGs with full party control.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Morpheus Kitami Learned

Morpheus Kitami
    This sounds more promising than 90% of devs shilling their stuff here, but buddy, unless you're committed to the whole survival crafting bit, don't do it. Most people are going to glaze over then ignore another game with crafting+survival elements. I'd also say that pre-generated content is nearly always better than procedural stuff, but it depends on how long you plan the game for. Point is, so far you've got a lot of buzzwords that are getting a bit tedious to hear about.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  13. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Looking good, but no one here believe you are going to relese anything anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bester ⚰️☠️⚱️ Patron Vatnik

Bester
    It looks very polished for a demo like that, especially the audio. And no shitty assets -- if these are AS assets, they're seamlessly integrated. I'd normally say that the outdoors area is too dark when it's under a clear sky, but when combined with an ominous music, it actually works just fine - creates a feeling of dread and danger. The UI is the only thing that stands out as indie, not sure if there's any appeal in that, so a UI overhaul could benefit from a modern look, but it's not a drastic problem. Overall, very good.

But it's not quite there yet without the combat. Is it turn-based? What do you mean by "a mix of real time and turn based mechanics"? When the combat video is out, then we're in business.

Also, how would co-op work in a game like that? And why? Not sure it's needed here.

^ Top  
  15. Feargus Jewhart Savant Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Feargus Jewhart
    Can I be a Jew in this?

Sent from my Nokia 1200 using Tapatalk

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Thanks. I'm also curious to see how things will shift throughout development because I'm pretty aware I'll end up changing many aspects of it.

^ Top  
  17. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Yes, they are mostly assets. Unfortunately, I don't have time or the budget atm to develop custom content, as I would love.
    The sound design is something I really prioritize, I've been receiving good feedback from it, which motivates me to keep going.
    Regarding the UI, I wonder how you would like it to look like. I would really appreciate more feedback on this.

Think of fallout / Wizardry 8, turn based happens for combat and when out of it, the game unfolds in real time,

It's something I always wanted in a game like this and it's currently one of the main features that is getting people both excited or curious. The game will play pretty much the same as a single player game of this genre, the only difference is that your party members get split among players when in a co-op game. For a 2 player co-op game, each player controls 3 characters and for 3 player co-op game, 2 players. My current challenge is deciding how players will be represented in the 3d world. The 3 players can merge their party at any time and have the "leader" player moving everyone. but at anytime, players can split the party and be autonomous. This is all theory, I will stilll need to test this out and hear the feedback from players.

^ Top  
  18. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Thanks! And they are right to believe that, because I won't release anything until I have the core in place. I anticipate a tech demo within 1 year at the current pace, considering the current daily 5 hour of development time and full weekends.

^ Top  
  19. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Oh, I had no idea there was a campaign against survival and crafting. I shouldn't be surprised though, nowadays there are campaigns against everything.
    Crafting goes as far as Skyrim does it, where you can craft items, armor, potions and some other minor equipment.
    Survival is more about dealing with food and water when venturing throughout the world, specially when exploring underground places, where it can expose you to long periods of time without access to vendors for resupplying. It has nothing to do with gridding wood and stone to build settlements. It shouldn't be a problem or annoying if you are cautious about it. You won't even need to feed each character member manually, they will do it automatically, while keeping information on the current supplies remaining.

Thanks for the info, I will upgrade my descriptions.

^ Top  
  20. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It depends, really.
    If it is in any way similar to the crap they did in the later Elder Scrolls games, sure, that's a hard pass.
    But some of the quests in Daggerfall were pretty cool.

I think what made them cool is how they combined hand-made quest content with procedural quest content.
    Definitely could see a system based on that, but improved, working very well where a designer manually creates the "outline" of a quest (probably including the writing), and the procgen then fills out the details.

For example "X was stolen by a group of A hiding in B. Go to B. Find out that A are not actually there anymore, but leave a hint to C. Go to C. Get X."
    I find it easy to imagine this with better writing for replaceable X, A, B, C working fairly well if it is ensured that all variables are thematically compatible and you aren't sent off to fight a fire wizard in the sewers or some nonsense like that.
    But it would indeed require quite some effort to pull off. Not that I've done some pages-long research on exactly that for my own project or anything like that...

^ Top  
  21. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Legend of Grimrock sold about 600k in the first year and Legend of Grimrock 2 was even a greater success. The franchise has been praised a lot since then and holds a considerable fan base.
    Granted, this genre is definitely not the most popular, but saying it is dead and that no one is playing it, only shows how unreliable your information is.
    Perhaps, instead of you searching other people's nicknames on Goolge for free defamation attempts, you could use that time to expand your knowledge on topics you seem lack information on.

There could be more people playing this genre if there were more games like that. Unfortunately, it seems that lately, only indie developers are willing to innovate and experiment with new concepts. Established studios just stick with the same formulas, over and over.

Can't answer that, but it won't be in Underlair, since it's limited to 3 players only.

Alas, it's perfectly fine you don't enjoy the genre.

^ Top  
  22. :shredder:
    Before opening the thread, I thought this was going to be some sort of a sequel to Underrail for a moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    This looks fantastic, but I agree with those who are warning you against co-op. Maze crawlers and co-op don't mix.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Yes, I understand, I'm currently wrapping my head around it. Lets see how it turns out.
    Just consider that, dropping the co-op feature won't have any impact on the single player experience. Co-op is an extra feature and not a foundation the game is built upon.

^ Top  
  25. Ularis Badler Arcane Developer

Ularis Badler
    Absolutely. The trick is bearing a fertile imagination.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.