Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Underrail: Infusion Dev Log #5: Character Model Customization

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail: Infusion

It didn't take as long as I expected for Styg to publish his next development update for Underrail: Infusion. This update is about the game's character model customization system. As you might expect, Infusion will allow players to customize their characters' skin color, hair color, hair style and so on during character creation. Where it will differ from most RPGs is that a character's body type will be determined by their physical attributes, a system that will also apply to NPCs. The devlog includes an image with examples of various male character models.

In this dev log, I'm going to give you a little sneak peek of what character customization will be possible in the new engine. Today, I'll only be showing and discussing male characters, but you can expect analogous customization for females as well.

As I mentioned in the previous dev log, we're now using PBR (physics based rendering) for characters. Might not be that apparent in the screenshot below, as all the characters are naked, but it'll definitely make a lot of difference once we start equipping them with gear made of different materials..

Of course, first and foremost, you'll finally be able to pick a skin color. Then you'll be able to select your hair style, beard and mustache styles and colors. Both skin and hair colors will be chosen from a predetermined list, so no orc, alien, or other unnatural silly characters will be allowed.

You'll also be able to choose a face from a predetermined list, though this will probably have the least visual impact due to the size at which models are rendered.

Characters also support having piercings, tattoos, scars and the like, but we'll see how we're going to make these accessible to player. For the most part, you'll probably not be able to choose these at characters creation, but will instead have to earn them along the way.

The most important feature, for me at least, is the body type variety. This you will not be able to pick freely, but instead, your visual body type will correspond to your physical attributes: strength, agility, and constitution. Strength will make you bigger, while agility will make you leaner. Constitution has a more complex interaction with your visual appearance as it is both a measure of physical sturdiness and endurance.

These things will also, generally, apply to the NPCs, so you'll be able to gauge their physical properties from their appearance.

That's it for now. I know a lot of you are very interested to see some environment screenshots, so hopefully we can get those out relatively soon as well. I think you'll be quite impressed with the upgrade from the previous game.​

Looks pretty good. I hope Styg can keep up this rate of updates.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
... your visual body type will correspond to your physical attributes: strength, agility, and constitution...

... These things will also, generally, apply to the NPCs, so you'll be able to gauge their physical properties from their appearance.
pretty cool and innovative

CHEMS

Scholar
... your visual body type will correspond to your physical attributes: strength, agility, and constitution...

... These things will also, generally, apply to the NPCs, so you'll be able to gauge their physical properties from their appearance.
That's nice. In OG underrail a frail old guy can sport 20 strength and turn you inside out with one kick

I for one would like to finally have the immersion to be the crack hobo i'm meant to be.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks like the first the Sims game. Good!

Aslo this:
The most important feature, for me at least, is the body type variety. This you will not be able to pick freely, but instead, your visual body type will correspond to your physical attributes: strength, agility, and constitution. Strength will make you bigger, while agility will make you leaner. Constitution has a more complex interaction with your visual appearance as it is both a measure of physical sturdiness and endurance.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
gZSSpqa.png

Sir, installing that malware protection software for you will be only $285.

Alpharius

Scholar
A risky idea. Now most of the reviews for this game will devote half their text to complaints about how one can't pick a female body type for a male character. And the devs might give in thus reducing sales due to their decline-enabling attitude.

CHEMS

Scholar
A risky idea. Now most of the reviews for this game will devote half their text to complaints about how one can't pick a female body type for a male character. And the devs might give in thus reducing sales due to their decline-enabling attitude.
Even better, i only read reviews that are funny and i find body-positive butthurt to be really really funny. Depot A butthurt got kinda stale by now.

Trashos

Arcane
At least one of my playthroughs is going to be: making a character look exactly how I want him to, and then trying to deal with the consequences.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
Kenshi did this and I initially liked it but came to realize all my characters ended up looking the same.
It's been awhile since I played Underrail but if I remember correctly it has a limited stat pool which I guess would alleviate this concern.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher

All rpgs with stats should be doing once going 3D models. Its simple and interesting.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yeah I am not sure.

Even looking at example from some distance, imagine gear on them so you won't see skin color difference as much, and then add Underrail shadows - I remember game being quite dark and stuff, and most differences would be diminished greatly.
I doubt it would produce same effect as Chosen One, Vic & Myron standing near each other. It's not exaggerated enough.
And scars, tattoos, and all that stuff, people probably would like it for 5 mins and then forget it for the rest of the game.

If anything, for isometric game I'd focus more on trying to make armor, light/heavy, and weapons, as distinct as possible, so you could easily tell what anyone is holding, not bodies.

ciox

Liturgist
Yeah I am not sure.

Even looking at example from some distance, imagine gear on them so you won't see skin color difference as much, and then add Underrail shadows - I remember game being quite dark and stuff, and most differences would be diminished greatly.
I doubt it would produce same effect as Chosen One, Vic & Myron standing near each other. It's not exaggerated enough.
And scars, tattoos, and all that stuff, people probably would like it for 5 mins and then forget it for the rest of the game.

If anything, for isometric game I'd focus more on trying to make armor, light/heavy, and weapons, as distinct as possible, so you could easily tell what anyone is holding, not bodies.
That last bit should be covered given what they shared in this devlog https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/3-real-time-3d-models.html

Would expect most unique weapons to be represented properly, characters that crawl in vents instead of jogging around at full height, etc

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That last bit should be covered given what they shared in this devlog https://stygiansoftware.com/infusion/devlogs/3-real-time-3d-models.html

Would expect most unique weapons to be represented properly, characters that crawl in vents instead of jogging around at full height, etc
Looks quite better (miles better tbh) than Colony Ship at least. The backgrounds are rich with color, so models should look nice on 'em.
As Ciox pointed out, Styg is redoing the sprites to reflect the different weapons and armors to make them more easily distinguishable, and I assume to go along with that, he's also doing the characters bodies and so on. I had worries about how the new sprites would look on the 2D-Rendered Backgrounds, and I mentioned this to Styg.
View attachment 25922
A preview of some of the 3D models that Styg and crew have been working on. I asked to see what the new models might look like on a background so we can get a feel for them, and he said that the backgrounds need to be brought up to par first.
View attachment 25923
Some comments regarding Stygian's design philosophy and the engine upgrades planned for Infusion and Underrail 2 in the distant future.
This was his response, and it addressed my concerns. The maps themselves are getting upgraded so that they are more conducive to these new new sprites, which I assume will also answer some of your worries regarding the visibility of the new character models.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom