Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail Ironman

Yaz

Learned
Or playing Underrail without dying.

During the years I've played Underrail I've noticed a lot of people under the impression that one cannot play this game with deterministic 100 % success. There have been folks who've went flawless before the recent Psi changes(and possibly even after upholding now updated Psi builds), although I never was one of them because legacy Psi - as it is called now - never truly appealed to me. Always found it to be fun but ultimately not engaging. After a certain point(roughly after taking Locust of Control) it always plateaued rather quick, i.e., powerful but samey. On a side note - not the point of the thread - I fully support the recent Psi changes.

Rather, after the changes hit, Psi now looked more interesting to me, and since I've always liked Underrail for the possibilities of hybridization I made myself an Ironman build that did exactly that. It did take a while and a few failed attempts, but I got there in the end :).

================================================================================

The Travelling Merchant.

QxcZYVG.jpg

The build starts with 10 Dex and puts every point earned into Dex.

6HVcvE1.jpg
JRRVDNC.jpg

That's the final skill distribution but the build initially didn't have a single point into any of the Psi schools. Rather, I was putting small points into Metathermics until I reached 35(at level 7) and could get both Cryostasis and Cryokinesis. These two skills will always give 5 turns of freeze providing a good cc tool. After that I focused only on Temporal Manipulation until I could get Limited Temporal Increment, which allowed for two consecutive grenades and permanent Cryostasis. Finally I dumped some points into Thought Control only to have a tool for dealing with Tithonus Lab(it's an overinvestment, actually).

EesAKDv.jpg

From the crafting disciplines I initially heavily prioritized Chemistry allowing for MKIV Frags even before getting the drill parts, i.e., opening the global map. Soon after that MK V were available together with a very good Chemical Blob Gun, but more on that later on. I let Mechanics lag for quite a while. I still had enough into it to make a Tactical Vest for the bots at the GMS compound and the odd Repair Kit.

The Perk Progression:

5lY2PRb.png
ZnCQ4O2.jpg

Since the idea is to be a Travelling Merchant, Pack Rathound is an essential skill. I heavily prioritized Mercantile in the early game and opened up Constantine's highest tier merch as soon as I left for Core City. The point of taking Dirty Kick early is mainly to be able to deal with the Protectorate soldiers in the Junkyard Embassy's prison. The combination of 5 turns freeze with two turns stun allows for stealthy takedowns with Toxic Gas Grenades - one sludge is always available in SGS tunnels; more can be bought from the merchants around. Since you always have highest accuracy on Dirty Kick from stealth it's unlikely that one will miss, but even if one does you just freeze your target and retreat without hassle to try again after cooldowns. Opening Oculus and Constantine's merch on lvl 11 is a huge boon as the weapons available(and Vanishing Powder Grenades) outclass anything one can craft at this stage even if one is a dedicated crafter. Important to note that I deliberately went for a female character in order to make all of that easier/quicker.

Escape Artist isn't necessary to deal with the dogs in Depot A - it's quite possible to use LoS and just bomb them from inside the surveillance room while trapping the exit with Bear Traps. The Plasma Turrets are taken care of with a laser pistol, either looted from Elwood's house or crafted.

40 points of Pickpocket are essential as one can get roughly 20 Oddity XP throughout the game, as well as thousands of charons worth of coins, bullets, meds, ect. Once you hit 40 no more points are needed. A good trick is after solving the very first quest about reclaiming the outposts one can go back there and steal bullets from the SGS sentries. At this stage of the game you can go to Junkyard with 1000 + bullets to sell even before you move in to save Newton.

But all that money from quests and items sold shouldn't be easily wasted. The point of the build is to save as much money as possible to buy the Devastator Jet together with a 30 % Stability Suspension skis early. That will make it so there's no difference between ground and naval combat(if you take the perk available from Ladelman as soon as Expedition starts). More so for this build which wanted to do a Pirate playthrough because of Katya's shop. The Fusion Cannon allows for the easy clearing of many areas of the Black Sea. The native shores should always be approached with care and the serpents avoided unless you have great Bio/Acid/Mechanical resistance, but the rewards are worth it. Not only can you get abundant quantities of Demon Squid, but also various Expedition leathers of decent quality.

3hNamMI.jpg
c3PtDtw.jpg

This is a set I managed to make fairly early into the game. Together with any metal helmet it provides immunity to the physical portion of any melee attack. The boots together with the Tesla Armour were for Coil Spiders. If one's lucky one can get good Hard Foam Padding and achieve that with just two pieces of equipment; if not you'll have to use a metal helmet for the small additional physical resistance. Full melee physical immunity together with the Aegis and Irongut meds means that the natives can't hurt you. Their psichers can, but those are top priorities regardless of your build; they're are easily taken care of with various grenades. You can always just fight close to exits and even if your grenade throws are wonky, retreat and try again from another side. Or thin the herd with the Devastator.

The build also sports various ranged weapons.

cNf6qqH.jpg
okiADiZ.jpg
1JpcQgI.jpg

All of these benefit from the build's high Dex and each is useful in a different situation. SMGs powered by high Dex Versatility are a little weak in the beginning but really pick up later on(since they scale both in damage and AP reduction). In the early game I was using only Laser Pistol/Acid Blob Gun. Corrosive Acid Vials were available from Katya's shop as soon as I joined the pirates - easily achieved if you solve the first task for Aegis and then use Jenkins to go back to CC. He'll be alone and an easy target for you to deal with. The Corrosive Acid allows one to deal with stuff like Naga Protectors(75 % resistance reduction). Funny when you can poke them down with a knife. Or one can just sneak around them with a good enough Cloaking Device(for when you want to take the Hypercerebrix blueprint, for example).

Although there are builds that can one shot the last boss several times over this build doesn't do too bad there. It uses the XAL without firing any shots before that to empty a load of Corrosive Acid and then just poke it down with a knife after attempting Expose Weakness. There are various tools that greatly help with that like Bison Milk and Supersoldiers.

JIhktnd.jpg

Here I deliberately didn't use Expose Weakness(as though I've missed) and Bison Milk, together with an inferior Steel Combat Knife, instead of a Tungsten Steel Knife(more crit damage). The boss still goes down before The Bullhead expires and I didn't have any problems since I was always freezing the brain tentacle. You could probably double that damage if one takes more time preparing and there's the possibility of using some Leper Poison Knives, as well.

Thanks for reading. I hope you've enjoyed it :).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Yaz

Learned
Difficulty level?

Dominating, Oddity. I haven't actually played anything else in years...

Did you finish Arena? Or just up to Master Exploder, to progress the story?

After you get the melee immunity set there's nothing preventing you from finishing Arena. I did Master Exploder fairly early to help with opening Coretech's shop; having a decent Shield Emitter is enough to do it without problems, but Arena as a whole I did slowly over time. Used the CAU armour set together with Biotechnician's Boots(you can easily get these from a scientist on Expedition island) against Chemical Agent and the Twitch drug/Root Soda to deterministically take 1st turn against Zap and Stygian Exorcist.

what quality crafting ingredients did you see in special stock? Nothing special? 140+? 160+?

Constantine's stock? Over time I saw a lot of good/interesting stuff, of course. As well as as every other shop that has tiers unlocked with Mercantile. The most important thing to point out about that particular spot at that stage of the game, i.e., as soon as you hand in the drill parts, is that crafting will not give you the same level of equipment you can get as buying ready-made weapons from Constantine, provided you opened his 2nd tier mech. Having a 2,4k durability Tungsten Knife/Pneumatic Leather Gloves practically as soon as you leave SGS is a huge boost to the build's ability to play further, ect.

Yaz

Learned
Some proof would be nice. Theres an achievement for ironman domination afaik.

There is? It must be well hidden. Maybe I will retry the run :).

I did finish every encounter or disengaged safely but in the case of the Lunatic Mall I wasn't happy with my initial result. The second floor to be specific. And no - I didn't die initially, but I reloaded the only save I used on this character from earlier and did the whole thing so I was happier with the outcome. Could it be why?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Some proof would be nice. Theres an achievement for ironman domination afaik.

There is? It must be well hidden. Maybe I will retry the run :).

I did finish every encounter or disengaged safely but in the case of the Lunatic Mall I wasn't happy with my initial result. The second floor to be specific. And no - I didn't die initially, but I reloaded the only save I used on this character from earlier and did the whole thing so I was happier with the outcome. Could it be why?

The achievement is a joke among underrail official discord ;)
I would love if you could record your whole run on twitch or upload it on youtube.

Yaz

Learned
The achievement is a joke among underrail official discord ;)
I would love if you could record your whole run on twitch or upload it on youtube.

How much Gigs do you expect a run of this calibre to take?

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Assuming you could do a main quest in 20-30 hours, and with good codec you could get this down to 1GB per 1 hour so 30GB. Without encoding on the fly it will be of course something like 150-300GB.

Yaz

Learned
Assuming you could do a main quest in 20-30 hours, and with good codec you could get this down to 1GB per 1 hour so 30GB. Without encoding on the fly it will be of course something like 150-300GB.

I am actually down for recording all of it... but man, you're talking to a tech noob of sorts here. I do have 900 Gigs on the side but I am most certain I won't be doing main quest in 20-30 hours :).

It will take longer than that. And it will be Oddity Expedition.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

I am actually down for recording all of it... but man, you're talking to a tech noob of sorts here. I do have 900 Gigs on the side but I am most certain I won't be doing main quest in 20-30 hours :).

It will take longer than that. And it will be Oddity Expedition.

Well remember that officially game just ends when you kill tchort and then uncover tanner past. Everything else is a filler that is not needed. Unless you mean 100% game completion -doing every quest, but i doubt you are going to make a southern fishing trail ;) so no it won't be full game. Anyway its up to you how much content you want to finish on your ironman. Either way will be impressive.

Yaz

Learned
Well remember that officially game just ends when you kill tchort and then uncover tanner past. Everything else is a filler that is not needed. Unless you mean 100% game completion -doing every quest, but i doubt you are going to make a southern fishing trail ;) so no it won't be full game. Anyway its up to you how much content you want to finish on your ironman. Either way will be impressive.

Good point. After all it does show understanding of the game when you can do things quickly. I don't think I am that man, though.

I am using a lot of different pieces of armour - this defence, that defence, ect. It's getting those that generally inflates the a run as several pieces are needed to run DC smoothly, and some extra ones to get those beforehand. As well as some levels for weapons' stats.

Trashos

Arcane
Inspiring.

:excellent:

I haven't ironmanned Underrail yet. The closest I got (on Hard/Oddity, mind you) was before the expansion. I think it was a Psi build, and it went all the way to DC without any deaths. Then I got completely BTFO at the power station. I sneaked in without killing the burrowers, then the burrowers completely surrounded the station exits. But I didn't know that. So I overwrote all my saves within the station, and then I couldn't get out from either exit without getting attacked and killed immediately.

So not only did that build not ironman it, it didn't even manage to finish the game! What a sad ending.

But I will be back.

Yaz

Learned
Inspiring.

I haven't ironmanned Underrail yet. The closest I got (on Hard/Oddity, mind you) was before the expansion. I think it was a Psi build, and it went all the way to DC without any deaths. Then I got completely BTFO at the power station. I sneaked in without killing the burrowers, then the burrowers completely surrounded the station exits. But I didn't know that. So I overwrote all my saves within the station, and then I couldn't get out from either exit without getting attacked and killed immediately.

So not only did that build not ironman it, it didn't even manage to finish the game! What a sad ending.

But I will be back.

Hmm... strange. I'd expect that if you're able to sneak in Arke you'd be able to at least set up properly once you exit. Especially since you managed to walk in. You do know there's a second exit which you open up once you traverse the basement area, right? It's not camped as heavily. You just precast all defensive Psi stuff plus pump yourself full of Meds and try to sneak out of the rear exit to set up kill zones for Cryokinetic Orb and LoC Enrage. Neurovisual Disruption is also on the table(I really like that skill.)

And - yeah, legacy Psi was when a lot of people beat the game without really breaking a sweat/no deaths :). It's still doable now and - I will probably rile some folks up - it's more interesting than before.

Trashos

Arcane
Yes, I tried both exits multiple times (ironman was no more, but I still wanted to finish the playthrough). What happened was that all the burrowers in the map had gathered in front of the 2 exits. That was not normal behavior -I had sneaked in the Station before (but I never did it again!), and had never seen this behavior. I do not know what caused it.

It has been a long time, and I do not remember the details of what I tried. But I even rebooted the machine in hope that it might change the arrangement of the burrowers. No such luck. Anyway, I learnt my lesson and I kill the burrowers beforehand ever since.

Trashos

Arcane
It could have been an orange eye I guess, even though I didn't notice such a thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom