Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Ironman

Tygrende

Arbiter
I think it's about time to share my endeavor with the Codex - I'm currently in the process of trying and documenting my attempts at beating Underrail on DOMINATING without reloading/dying - currently on my 2nd attempt, pretty close to Depot A, going smoothly so far. I wouldn't exactly call this a Let's Play since there's no commentary, but I've seen some people here express interest in seeing something like this so here you go. I don't skip the boring parts, but later videos have timestamps to skip them if anyone wants to.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
regarding rathounds by omega: unless you wanted to kill that guard, what I usually do is lock myself behind fence instead. This way rats never lose your aggro. Meanwhile SGS guard will unload all his ammo and eventually kill everything with his fists. I usually do this while still being lvl 1.

Tygrende

Arbiter
regarding rathounds by omega: unless you wanted to kill that guard, what I usually do is lock myself behind fence instead. This way rats never lose your aggro. Meanwhile SGS guard will unload all his ammo and eventually kill everything with his fists. I usually do this while still being lvl 1.
I specifically wanted to kill that guard. It give me a really good vest and SMG early on, while also allowing me to do GMS before Newton. The beetles there are really tough on DOM, so going to GMS first is a good idea. Especially with that vest from the guard, makes you nearly immune to bots.

Tygrende

Arbiter
my best setup against them was 4x bear traps at first door and a bunch of grenades. Throwing this here just in case :)
Kinda risky at 1st door, attract too many and you can still get overwhelmed. What I settled on is letting them wander inside the open door, only to close it when they get inside and kill them in a 1v1 fight. Typically can kill 1-3 that way, giving me more breathing room to deal with the rest. From that point it's bear traps/mines/molotovs/etc. unless I manage to single more of them out.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Underrail on Ironman ...
Just imagine having to replay the very beginning of the game over and over again.
It'd work with ToEE's moathouse, Wiz 8's monastery, Dark Sun's arena but Underrail?

That's called masochism.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Underrail on Ironman ...
Just imagine having to replay the very beginning of the game over and over again.
It'd work with ToEE's moathouse, Wiz 8's monastery, Dark Sun's arena but Underrail?

That's called masochism.
Well if everything goes right I won't have to!

I probably will have to.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
my best setup against them was 4x bear traps at first door and a bunch of grenades. Throwing this here just in case :)
Kinda risky at 1st door, attract too many and you can still get overwhelmed. What I settled on is letting them wander inside the open door, only to close it when they get inside and kill them in a 1v1 fight. Typically can kill 1-3 that way, giving me more breathing room to deal with the rest. From that point it's bear traps/mines/molotovs/etc. unless I manage to single more of them out.
idea is to attract all of them and force crowd on choke point. Use corner of storage room to break line of sight. Did it with throwing knives on dom so... you might say with grenades exclusively

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Is this even tough? How many fights are forced until the game opens up?
How hard it is to find all the oddities that dont require combat? Cause I figure that this would be the main strat - overlevel as much as possible.

I dont think this is particularly super impossible - there is not much RNG here... and you have perfect knowledge.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Is this even tough? How many fights are forced until the game opens up?
How hard it is to find all the oddities that dont require combat? Cause I figure that this would be the main strat - overlevel as much as possible.

I dont think this is particularly super impossible - there is not much RNG here... and you have perfect knowledge.
It's not that simple - there's only so much XP you can get safely. And trying to sneak past fights you can't win only gets you so far until you screw up, bump out of stealth and die.
attempt 1 part 3: got lazy and got eaten by beetles lelelele
Yeah, I could just go behind the door. But I got greedy.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
heh, played the beetles reckless the second time too, could have died if 2 rifles shots missed and a second beetle suddenly appeared when you missed the first time...

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
It's not that simple
It isnt, but you should spend 3+ hours plotting out exactly how to walk the oddity walk - thats how long your first attempt took... Or not and just wing it for funz!

Tygrende

Arbiter
heh, played the beetles reckless the second time too, could have died if 2 rifles shots missed and a second beetle suddenly appeared when you missed the first time...
I think I played it pretty safe - I counted them and still had flashbangs/taser just in case. I'm sure there will a lot more closer calls in the future.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
My experience with trying to play CRPGs ((Pillars of Eternity 1 and Kingmakerm mostly) in ironman is that I die over and over because I get bored and careless and I burn out on going through the early stages of the game over and over again.

It's exciting to win a close fight, but all it has done to me so far is ruin the games almost beyond repair.

jackofshadows

Magister
Oh, you went for sniper build? :greatjob: Although it might be tricky unless you gonna skip a few native bosses

Loading screens are kinda long, you didn't forget to turn auto-save off, did you? I mean...

By the way, admit that doing unoptional iron man run gives some notable extra feeling? I'd try to do it myself but I don't know the game enough for that yet.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
Oh, you went for sniper build? :greatjob: Although it might be tricky unless you gonna skip a few native bosses
There's two reasons - it's what I'm most comfortable with and it's one of few builds that have naturally high PER, which is good because I really want to have high detection - stealthed enemies are among my biggest worries.

Loading screens are kinda long, you didn't forget to turn auto-save off, did you? I mean...
I had them off, then I forgot to manually save after recording an hour of footage. They are on since then. At least if that happens again I can reload the last autosave and retrace my steps to get to the same point in the exact same way.

By the way, admit that doing unoptional iron man run gives some notable extra feeling? I'd try to do it myself but I don't know the game enough for that yet.
Well I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't fun, right?

Tygrende

Arbiter
fun is when you die to a misclick,
cant wait
The recently added no interaction button should help with that. But yeah a misclick is gonna happen sooner or later, I'm doing my best to slow down when I can't afford mistakes.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
random plasma sentry rushes you at the door
panic enter butan!

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
heh, random gangsters drop grenade on you, almost dead :shredder:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom