Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is actually quite good

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Age of Decadence has excellent C&C, best one I've seen in an RPG.
Atom RPG sucks dicks though. Trudograd (which I haven't played) might have improved the character building, but the base game had shit combat, shit char building, shit writing.
Underrail devs at least had the common sense to not make a complete Fallout clone, Atom devs didn't. And because they're not as talented as the Fallout devs were, they created something clearly inferior.
The only thing Atom has going for it is the novelty of Soviet aesthetics. Might be a positive for some, for me it's decidedly negative.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Atom RPG sucks dicks though. Trudograd (which I haven't played) might have improved the character building, but the base game had shit combat, shit char building, shit writing.
Underrail devs at least had the common sense to not make a complete Fallout clone, Atom devs didn't. And because they're not as talented as the Fallout devs were, they created something clearly inferior.
The only thing Atom has going for it is the novelty of Soviet aesthetics. Might be a positive for some, for me it's decidedly negative.
Haven't played Atom yet, but I have a hunch about it. Maybe I will change my opinion when I finally play it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I tried ATOM, its a sterile clone of Fallout

When I saw the same UI, same aesthetics, same chargen, same traits, just with Russian names. 1:1 carbon copy

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I tried ATOM, its a sterile clone of Fallout

When I saw the same UI, same aesthetics, same chargen, same traits, just with Russian names. 1:1 carbon copy

And yet the Soviet atmosphere gives it an original touch that I very much enjoy. Falloutish retrofuturism was getting kinda tiresome at this point.

Also, the combat can be much more brutal than in Fallout (especially in those bunkers, where there is little place to hide from bursts).

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Age of Decadence has excellent C&C, best one I've seen in an RPG.

The other big problem was that english language was badly translated to russian. Its best to play ATOM in russian, which is original language. The devs are too poor for proper translations which was shown with the polish translation fiasco.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
No reason to overly dwell on ethics, when you are living in the world as it is, and has to adapt to it. Do average people constantly dwell on the ethics of the world they live in? No they go to work, take care of kids and do some leisures. In the same way our underworld character, wake up, do some errands for his place of living[SGS], blast some shit that stand on his way, earn credits, and in the end if he got caught up in some fucked up circumstances, he just plows through. If during this work he finds some snippets about the past and the universe, its all the better. But unnaturaly forcing the character to ponder about stuff, will easily make the game overintelectualized boring shit with bad pacing and wall of texts happening out of context.

xuerebx

Erudite
I found the lore in Underrail to be really interesting, getting bits and pieces of information from PC terminals (mainly) and putting them together to solve the puzzle of what had happened and how the world as it is came to be. I finished the game, started reading other player's interpretations and explanations and realised that I learned nothing from my own playthrough - a hundred hours of gameplay! Playing as a psi caster was incredibly satisfying, it not OP at the end. The crafting system was fun too. Definitely one of the better RPGs in recent years.

ATOM was also very fun - clearly a Fallout clone and it didn't try to hide it - but that's not necessarily a bad thing is it? The language translation was poor though. I purchased Trudograd on alpha release just to support the devs, will only play it on full release though.

ciox

Liturgist
Underrail's writers were at the very least able to create a good skeleton that could be fleshed out more, that's more than you can say about a lot of games.
Core City in particular feels like a very "real" place, because of the density in environments, NPCs and quests, good example of what the devs can do when they put their mind to it.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Metal armor/SMG is the official RoboCop build, and quite viable if you also spec for grenades.

Pl_mt.png

Man, thanks for reminding me! Real RoboCop uses pistols though, I played the build back in 2017 and it rocked:

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2293

Inspired by this awesome thread I made my own Murphy, kind of slow in the beginning, but once you hit rapid fire, oh boy! Rapid reloader 9mm hammerer with expanded magazine is heavan. Spiked steel fist isn't all that good, takes too much AP. Better to use a dagger, but gotta stay true to the character. Changed the feats a bit though, picked Expertise instead of Conditioning and Grenadier instead of Point Shot. It's a bit sad, but without a lot of grenades it's mighty tough out there for a cyber cop. Toxic grenades and flashbangs are my favourites, with emps to deal with shields.

Currently at level 18, just purged the drones and am finally getting my mechanics up so I can craft super steel. Having a real blast, never knew a heavy armour pistol build could be this much fun.

Grenades definitely saved the day. Ended up finishing the game on top kek difficulty, for Tchort I had to use a sniper rifle first to destroy those damn tanks but that also fit pretty well since RoboCop did use the Cobra Assault Cannon to take out the ED-209. I haven't tried pistol RoboCop on dominating though so once I'm done with Fallout: Tactics I'm gonna do that build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom