Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is mediocre (imo)

Tigranes

Arcane
3 STR characters can easily carry 30 traps unless you're carrying a bunch of other pointless things. It's up to you, but they are useful throughout the game. Certainly more than dodge/evasion on DOM.

I love my chem pistolero but thinking what could spice things up a bit. Usually I am an acid pistol + cooked shot boy with a secondary energy pistol using SI etc. for superhigh crit chance, and sometimes I'm pairing it with Metathermics for fire & chaos, sometimes I'm gunning for XAL and super-low shot AP. But is there anything else that would make sense? Acid pistol entanglement + shotguns, perhaps....?

Tigranes

Arcane
I forget normie were you the one insisting dodge/evasion is good on DOM or were you the one insisting it's not

CHEMS

Scholar
3 STR characters can easily carry 30 traps unless you're carrying a bunch of other pointless things. It's up to you, but they are useful throughout the game. Certainly more than dodge/evasion on DOM.

I love my chem pistolero but thinking what could spice things up a bit. Usually I am an acid pistol + cooked shot boy with a secondary energy pistol using SI etc. for superhigh crit chance, and sometimes I'm pairing it with Metathermics for fire & chaos, sometimes I'm gunning for XAL and super-low shot AP. But is there anything else that would make sense? Acid pistol entanglement + shotguns, perhaps....?
Dodge/Evasion gets pretty gimped on DOM because enemy skills are jacked up, i believe 2x more skill than they have on Hard. So far on this TC sniper i have pumped those stats and nobody fucking misses. When i get gear and drugs, it'll get better.

About the chem pistols, i think your build is just right. It's the way i play them. Ice Pistols are very underrated, specially if you have metathermics to combo.

Trashos

Arcane
Acid and Incendiary pistols for me (too obvious?). The Incendiary pistol is beautiful with Ambush. So no metathermics for me, just the usual 70 points in Temporal.
(And yes, Cryo gun against the fish, as CHEMS mentioned in the other thread. Acid is ineffective against them, while fire makes them dive and escape. I generally wield the cryo when enemies are resistant to one of the other 2 pistols.)

Sykar

Arcane
NO spamming on dominating wasn't required even with my TC/PK build. Funny thing: since it's a silent ability, i was able to reliably kill all goliathuses on Silent Isle by casting Mental Breakdown, Frighten, and then running after it like a lunatic spamming NO until it died. That's eight turns with a enemy with low MP running from you. Very fun OP combo that works with bosses even in late game.
Works nicely in Arena as well. Usually the last one to survive is one Goli. I tend to let my team mates "accidently" die so I can loot some nice stuff occasionally.

I just played this game for the first time ever. Started the game on hard. I got into those caves at the bottom and I absolutely hate the combat. Maybe it's the difficulty, but it's obviously going to be one of these games where you have to save scum in order to progress. So I had 3 medical hypos, and I had to use up exactly three of them - and there's no way to avoid that. These dogs, or whatever is down there, charge at you immedietely. I also have three flares - and each one lets me kill exactly one of them with my starting weapon. It's really annoying how everything needs to be done perfectly in order to progress. And there seems to be only way to approach this combat zone for now (no alternate routes as far as I can tell).
I'm going to restart now on normal, since hard seems to be that kind of difficulty that expects you to know where certain strats/items/loot.

notpl

Arbiter
Underrail definitely suffers from some d&d-itis where low level combat is a boring missfest where you die too quickly. You just don't have enough abilities yet. Nobody has any business playing on Hard unless they've already beaten the game on normal (or even easy) though, that's what it's for.

Tigranes

Arcane
I just played this game for the first time ever. Started the game on hard. I got into those caves at the bottom and I absolutely hate the combat. Maybe it's the difficulty, but it's obviously going to be one of these games where you have to save scum in order to progress. So I had 3 medical hypos, and I had to use up exactly three of them - and there's no way to avoid that. These dogs, or whatever is down there, charge at you immedietely. I also have three flares - and each one lets me kill exactly one of them with my starting weapon. It's really annoying how everything needs to be done perfectly in order to progress. And there seems to be only way to approach this combat zone for now (no alternate routes as far as I can tell).
I'm going to restart now on normal, since hard seems to be that kind of difficulty that expects you to know where certain strats/items/loot.

Play on Normal. Later you'll see why this is not the case and the game gives you a very wide range of tools (even in the first area, though not as much).

wishbonetail

Learned
Back when i played it, melee enemies were a joke as you can hit one and run to another location, rinse repeat. Never was i challenged on hard and my wide range of tools consisted of knuckle sandwich only. Game became boring pretty fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom