Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is mediocre (imo)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Imagine making a post on KODEX that says "Underrail is a mediocre game"

Thats like wearing a sign in Harlem that says, I hate black people.. :)

Only in Harlem, of course, you might actually get murdered irl.

Camel

Scholar
Imagine making a post on KODEX that says "Underrail is a mediocre game"

Thats like wearing a sign in Harlem that says, I hate black people.. :)

Only in Harlem, of course, you might actually get murdered irl.
Why are you so cucked?
zvmg0Aj.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
5 Points:
Planescape: Torment
Underrail
Icewind Dale
KotOR
Baldur's Gate

25 Total.

I rest my case.
There has definitely been changes since then, but even if we take the list at face value, none of the games I listed are even close to as shit as Divinity Original Shit. You have bad opinions and you should feel bad about having them.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
There has definitely been changes since then, but even if we take the list at face value, none of the games I listed are even close to as shit as Divinity Original Shit. You have bad opinions and you should feel bad about having them.
Sorry bro, but if you really believe that garbage like Baldur's Gate or KotOR are good games, then you have no right to complain about motes in your brothers' eyes. I haven't played Divinity: Original Sin in over seven years and never tried its sequel, I honestly no loger care for those kinds of games, but still, I can assure you that D:OS is miles ahead of any Biowhore turd.

Tihskael

Learned
View attachment 25218View attachment 25220

I looked into some of these people that decided to rate OPs dreadfully retarded take.

Brofisters
And fuck me, New Vegas is amazing. The Avellone written DLC is amazing. I spent three months playing it almost nonstop, to the point where my girlfriend poured a bottle of soda into my PC’s innards to make me stop (I needed a new PC anyway so the joke’s on her).
I am sory but those new titles are well worth to be added next to the classics too. I am playing rpgs since the dawn of time or almost, i am not easily pleased by games and still i had fun with those
New vegas deserves to stand on the podium,no less!
D:OS is a great game
I quit Underrail within the first 30 minutes (I made a junk character to look around the first area, but never made a real character), because I just couldn't be bothered to min max my own build by memorizing every single feat and it felt lame to just copy a build from the internet.
Where is the debate? Of course, it's a worthy Fallout game. Not only that, but it's very, razor close to being better than the originals. Obsidian's world-building was just so damn good. Everything about the setting was just on-point. The experimental DLC, Dead Money, just weaved everything so damn well without looking out-of-place. I can't praise how well Obsidian did. As I said, one of the only games on the Bethesda engine I can play with very minimal mods.

Personally, Fallout: 2>=Fallout: New Vegas>Fallout: 1. Even though I have several hours of New Vegas, I think I played Fallout: 2 the most. I know the faggot NMA trash fucks hated New Reno, but that was my favorite part. Never gets old cucking Bishop. Also, saying "*Little* Jesus" fucking had me laughing my ass off seeing that dialogue. New Reno was better than the New Vegas Strip, though. They really dropped the ball there since you didn't get that intricate faction system like in Fallout: 2. I played through all the factions, and it was amazing seeing the small lore associated with each one, i.e. the
Fallout New Vegas got me pretty excited when it was released.
It might sound like I did not enjoy D:OS but I kinda did. I'd give the game a solid 8/10 overall.

Agreers
STARFIELD STARFIELD STARFIELD
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
Man, watching Todd makes me genuinely happy, a shining ray of hope in this fucking shitshow of an industry. I have been telling you motherfuckers, it is the year of the Todd. Believe.
hen I finally started playing Pathfinder and got hooked on the first try. Why? Well simple, the game was done right and with all the bugs and lack of polish it had a soul. It's like comparing very rough and unpolished gem and super polished shit wrapped in a beautiful gift paper - at the end of a day gem is still a gem and shit will always be shit.
So.

Fallout 3.

Game that i like and hate at the same time
This game (The Outer Worlds) is not perfect but it is a fun game in the vein of New Vegas that will tide us over until ELEX 2. Simple as.
Anyone who quit HZD because they didn't like the intro cheated themselves out of a great experience.

Agree... But the start IS really bad and unfortunately the second one is kind of the same (i've only played 2h on the second).. and for some reason they seem to think that the idea that it's mostly you by yourself in the first was something bad so in the second you often tag along with someone it seems like, very annoying imo. Graphically both games looks amazing, the first one still looks better than almost any current open world games including the latest Assassins Creed.

I would say the best part about the game is the graphics and the combat. The story is an absolute cringefest, the character you play is an absolute bore with no personality, no sense of humor, voice acting is not good either. A more light hearted and comic vibe would have worked better for this very, very ridiculous story, but instead they're trying to make it dark which only makes me roll my eyes throughout the main story.

Still worth playing for sure.. gonna dive into the second at some point, still have 1-2h left on the first.
Most Replayed RPG of 2021
Pathfinder Kingmaker
pillars of eternity

I could've found a lot more shit takes, but I thought this was enough to illustrate my point. These people are the lowest of the low. Harbingers of decline that enjoy dogshit, uninspired video games. There opinions are literally worth nothing.
Look at me, I went through 14 out of the 32 profiles that "rated" OP's "dreadfully retarded" take. What a wondeful investment of my time.
You have bad opinions and you should feel bad about having them.
Only I have good opinions. I have a lot of good opinions of which I am very proud. Did I tell you only I, ItsChon has the best opinions. I have the bestest opinions!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sorry bro, but if you really believe that garbage like Baldur's Gate or KotOR are good games, then you have no right to complain about motes in your brothers' eyes. I haven't played Divinity: Original Sin in over seven years and never tried its sequel, I honestly no loger care for those kinds of games, but still, I can assure you that D:OS is miles ahead of any Biowhore turd.

You see, this is why people like this should be beaten

BG 1 is part of the Renaissance and a cult game
SWKotOR isnt as good as peak Rennaisance, but is among the last good RPGs of that era. Also the last good Bioware game

Meanwhile Larian never made anything good. They were a third-rate developer back in the day, and they are still shit today. Comparing the Rennaisance with D:OS lol

Conclussion: you are a well known retard. Go put a butt plug in ur ass

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You began playing RPGs (what was left of them) after the Rennaisance was over

so you don't even know whats good or bad

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
character building in buildfag games would be more interesting if there was some kind of -- perhaps for a lack of a better term, random element -- to it that caused the player to react in some way rather than just following a simple template
going to think on this for a bit

there is

some games combine point buy with rolls such as Grimoire or Dark Sun

it is a reasonable compromise to min-maxing or rolling forever

I like any system which tells me to stop obsessing over "perfect" builds and just enjoy the game

Sunri

Liturgist
View attachment 25218View attachment 25220

I looked into some of these people that decided to rate OPs dreadfully retarded take.

Brofisters
And fuck me, New Vegas is amazing. The Avellone written DLC is amazing. I spent three months playing it almost nonstop, to the point where my girlfriend poured a bottle of soda into my PC’s innards to make me stop (I needed a new PC anyway so the joke’s on her).
I am sory but those new titles are well worth to be added next to the classics too. I am playing rpgs since the dawn of time or almost, i am not easily pleased by games and still i had fun with those
New vegas deserves to stand on the podium,no less!
D:OS is a great game
I quit Underrail within the first 30 minutes (I made a junk character to look around the first area, but never made a real character), because I just couldn't be bothered to min max my own build by memorizing every single feat and it felt lame to just copy a build from the internet.
Where is the debate? Of course, it's a worthy Fallout game. Not only that, but it's very, razor close to being better than the originals. Obsidian's world-building was just so damn good. Everything about the setting was just on-point. The experimental DLC, Dead Money, just weaved everything so damn well without looking out-of-place. I can't praise how well Obsidian did. As I said, one of the only games on the Bethesda engine I can play with very minimal mods.

Personally, Fallout: 2>=Fallout: New Vegas>Fallout: 1. Even though I have several hours of New Vegas, I think I played Fallout: 2 the most. I know the faggot NMA trash fucks hated New Reno, but that was my favorite part. Never gets old cucking Bishop. Also, saying "*Little* Jesus" fucking had me laughing my ass off seeing that dialogue. New Reno was better than the New Vegas Strip, though. They really dropped the ball there since you didn't get that intricate faction system like in Fallout: 2. I played through all the factions, and it was amazing seeing the small lore associated with each one, i.e. the
Fallout New Vegas got me pretty excited when it was released.
It might sound like I did not enjoy D:OS but I kinda did. I'd give the game a solid 8/10 overall.

Agreers
STARFIELD STARFIELD STARFIELD
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
s420.gif
Man, watching Todd makes me genuinely happy, a shining ray of hope in this fucking shitshow of an industry. I have been telling you motherfuckers, it is the year of the Todd. Believe.
hen I finally started playing Pathfinder and got hooked on the first try. Why? Well simple, the game was done right and with all the bugs and lack of polish it had a soul. It's like comparing very rough and unpolished gem and super polished shit wrapped in a beautiful gift paper - at the end of a day gem is still a gem and shit will always be shit.
So.

Fallout 3.

Game that i like and hate at the same time
This game (The Outer Worlds) is not perfect but it is a fun game in the vein of New Vegas that will tide us over until ELEX 2. Simple as.
Anyone who quit HZD because they didn't like the intro cheated themselves out of a great experience.

Agree... But the start IS really bad and unfortunately the second one is kind of the same (i've only played 2h on the second).. and for some reason they seem to think that the idea that it's mostly you by yourself in the first was something bad so in the second you often tag along with someone it seems like, very annoying imo. Graphically both games looks amazing, the first one still looks better than almost any current open world games including the latest Assassins Creed.

I would say the best part about the game is the graphics and the combat. The story is an absolute cringefest, the character you play is an absolute bore with no personality, no sense of humor, voice acting is not good either. A more light hearted and comic vibe would have worked better for this very, very ridiculous story, but instead they're trying to make it dark which only makes me roll my eyes throughout the main story.

Still worth playing for sure.. gonna dive into the second at some point, still have 1-2h left on the first.
Most Replayed RPG of 2021
Pathfinder Kingmaker
pillars of eternity

I could've found a lot more shit takes, but I thought this was enough to illustrate my point. These people are the lowest of the low. Harbingers of decline that enjoy dogshit, uninspired video games. There opinions are literally worth nothing.
Sorry, I'm just not a fan of fallout likes, so I didn't even play this game.

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

You see, this is why people like this should be beaten

BG 1 is part of the Renaissance and a cult game
SWKotOR isnt as good as peak Rennaisance, but is among the last good RPGs of that era. Also the last good Bioware game

Meanwhile Larian never made anything good. They were a third-rate developer back in the day, and they are still shit today. Comparing the Rennaisance with D:OS lol

Conclussion: you are a well known retard. Go put a butt plug in ur ass
Part of the Renaissance? Who cares? BG sucks and is massive decline for obvious reasons. Making an RPG better than BG isn’t a high bar lmao.

You make me want to play Divine Divinity just out of spite.

Trashos

Arcane
You DEFINITELY don't have to minmax below Dominating -so I don't know what anti-minmaxers are complaining about.
(That said, piling on you main offensive skill is always a good idea, which of course is how it should be.)

Beans00

Augur
My essay I wrote on another thread that ItsChon refused to reply to out of sheer cowardice.

Underrail dwarfs FO in terms of the sheer amount of builds you can play

Well you can't play Underrail as a pacifist whereas fallout gives you the option. So... Yeah I guess in terms of ways to kill scorpions Underrail has fallout beat.

You also can't interact with Tchort in any way. Which broke my heart playing it because I believe Tchort was clearly innocent and wronged by the faceless. In fallout you can convince the master to end his plan and destroy himself. He is given depth, you see his motivation and reasons. You are given multiple solutions to deal with him. You can do the underrail thing and kill him. You can convince him or you can set off a non strategic nuclear warhead.

What option does tchort get? Kill him with mind magic? Kill him with a sub machine gun? Kill him with a hammer? Kill him with a knife? Kill him with a shotgun? Kill him with fists? Kill him with chemical pistols? Kill him with energy pistols? Kill him with mechanical pistols? Kill him with assault rifles? Kill him with crossbows?

What vindication did Tchort ever get? He was scientists clearly working for the betterment of mankind before a bunch of violent brutes forced him to mutate. These violent brutes later murder dozens, maybe hundreds of people near CORE city and the railyard and then are painted as hero's. 'They're only mean because tchort aka society made them that way'.

BULLSHIT. The faceless are thugs, and thieves because they choose to be and want to be. Did anyone ever stop and think tchort may need the cube to survive? Did anyone ever notice all the good the institute of tchort did for the underrail? How good their soundtrack was? They gave me fair warning before going to the west wing. They gave me good experience and rewards. They sold me great items at fair prices.

Yet we are told 'these guys who murdered all these people at the rail yard and who attack you in a cave in core city' are good guys, and 'these guys who are nice to you and help you whenever you interact with them are bad'.

Not even going into all the propaganda against the protectorate, who are clearly a justifiable organization with mostly well meaning people. Although anarchists and criminals clearly wont see it that way. I gassed the free drones, deal with it.

I hope in underrail infusion we continue to see the entirety of south underrail choke on their own vomit. They don't deserve Tchort, or Biocorp, or the protectorate and I enjoyed watching them suffer.

The problem with Underrail is that the main plot railroads you into attacking Tchort. I like Tchort, I refuse to attack him.

WTF. I've been looking for another like minded individual who also appreciates tchort and all the good the institute did for Underrail. For the record I have been in many debates about this in Underrails discord but it's mostly filled with complete autistic mouthbreathers who don't understand the game or story beyond different ways to kill rathounds.

Tchort very clearly did nothing wrong and only defended himself. We are presented options and depth for the faceless, a group of literal freakish thugs who commit dozens or hundreds of murders. Yet the institute of tchort are bad guys.

Also I liked underrail quite a bit. It's overrated by some people who played it as their first rpg and then use it as a sign of elitism(the game isn't particularly hard). Though I enjoyed it alot :).

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
BG sucks and is massive decline for obvious reasons

okay kid ill bite

go on
Critiquing the original version without mods which I played up until Baldur’s Gate City. Won’t touch BG2, will mention briefly.

-I don’t think I’ve played a game or an RPG for that matter that makes moving my chars around a pain in the ass. Yet some genius thought moving 6 chars in real time in small spaces, corridors (who can’t push each other in the OG engine) was a good idea, this also makes combat a complete clusterfuck as it tries to be RT while having a system meant for (phase/turned based whatever the hell you want to call it).

-combat sucks because of the above^ and low level dnd does not work at all with high density combat encounters at all (ala rest spamming). This is remedied in the later game when you get higher levels but it’s still a clusterfuck and not fun to play, especially in dungeons due to the awful movement and bastard combat system.

-exploration is a huge draw of the game despite the engine not supporting nuanced exploration mechanics or any interesting mechanics as it’s FOW in the worst way possible. I am biased here against exploration in isometric games generally, but at least limit it like in Fallout and not build your entire game around it (ala tons of wilderness areas). Interactivity is limited and bare bones (almost no agency involved nor mechanics), part of the exploration is waving your cursor around the screen checking endless barrels and stashes with nothing in them. The first couple wilderness areas can be fun to explore (partially due to excellent graphics, sound, and ambience), but it gets old really quickly. Wilderness areas also require you (not force but essentially encourages you) to autistically scourge every part of the map just in case there may be some shitty quests or loot waiting for you that you might miss. Content is also for the most part uninteresting and spacing it out thinly makes it even worse.

-stat system translates terribly and requires a rework generally speaking, charisma includes some reactivity granted (very minor), but everything else only effects combat. Even alignments do nothing (this is one area where pathfinder kingmaker made an improvement by having it actually matter), but something should have been done with them. And again, the interactivity is limited which makes the game very uninteresting, especially compared to Fallout and probably Ultima (along with other RPGs I don’t know about or haven’t played).

Those are the main flaws and I could list more of them in depth but I’m to lazy atm.

The good

-Very pretty, great aesthetics (Beautiful UI included)
-good music
-story is actually pretty good (well grounded) and effects the world in some way at least.

But yea decline is very apparent, especially after playing Fallout. The other issue is that there’s no reason to particularly play the game. It doesn’t do anything to an outstanding degree and it’s not a sum of its parts like Fallout, no good reason to play it beyond for the novelty. Didn’t touch BG2 because it attempts to fix BG1’s flaws but ends up being just as flawed as the first game in a backwards way, Companions would be the major improvement.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My essay I wrote on another thread that @ItsChon refused to reply to out of sheer cowardice.
For some reason I totally missed this notification.
Well you can't play Underrail as a pacifist whereas fallout gives you the option. So... Yeah I guess in terms of ways to kill scorpions Underrail has fallout beat.
As others have stated previously, you technically only need to kill the final boss to do any of the main story line quests. Regardless, taking your point at face value, how retarded is it to think that you can solve every problem by just talking. The game isn't centered around a scientist working in the Engineering and Computing divisions at SGS, or an agriculturalist working in Hydroponics. You're expected to fight, and the station takes you because of your proficiency in it.
You also can't interact with Tchort in any way. Which broke my heart playing it because I believe Tchort was clearly innocent and wronged by the faceless.
I will admit that being able to interact with Tchort and deciding to join him could have been an interesting ending to the game, but even though the game doesn't have this feature, that's not a strike against it. There could also be a variety of lore reasons as to why this isn't allowed.
In fallout you can convince the master to end his plan and destroy himself. He is given depth, you see his motivation and reasons. You are given multiple solutions to deal with him. You can do the underrail thing and kill him. You can convince him or you can set off a non strategic nuclear warhead.
Kek. I always thought that this was so fucking stupid. The Master has this big, grand plan, but he never thought to check whether or not these Mutants he's creating are fertile or not? Let's just ignore the fact that massive amounts of radiation/viral exposure leads to infertility, and genocide everyone wihtout doing some research. He's had how many years to plan this? And he's supposed to have huge intellectual capabilities as well, right? As for his "depth", his motivations and reasons are retarded and utterly basic/uninspired.
What vindication did Tchort ever get? He was scientists clearly working for the betterment of mankind before a bunch of violent brutes forced him to mutate. These violent brutes later murder dozens, maybe hundreds of people near CORE city and the railyard and then are painted as hero's. 'They're only mean because tchort aka society made them that way'.

BULLSHIT. The faceless are thugs, and thieves because they choose to be and want to be. Did anyone ever stop and think tchort may need the cube to survive? Did anyone ever notice all the good the institute of tchort did for the underrail? How good their soundtrack was? They gave me fair warning before going to the west wing. They gave me good experience and rewards. They sold me great items at fair prices.

Yet we are told 'these guys who murdered all these people at the rail yard and who attack you in a cave in core city' are good guys, and 'these guys who are nice to you and help you whenever you interact with them are bad'.

Not even going into all the propaganda against the protectorate, who are clearly a justifiable organization with mostly well meaning people. Although anarchists and criminals clearly wont see it that way. I gassed the free drones, deal with it.
Literally none of this has anything to do with the critiques that were made in this thread regarding Underrail's systems, and it's all conjecture about the lore. The fact that the game actually allows for this kind of discussion and depth just goes to show how great the setting is. As for what you said.

The scientists working for the betterment of mankind were experimenting on the pre-Faceless, subjecting them to mutagens, viruses, and alien artifacts. I don't blame them for wanting to rebel and free themselves from their bonds of slavery and servitude. While the ensuing struggle did lead to the creation of Tchort, and that is on the Faceless, they have gone out of their way to try and contain the monster, with countless lives being lost in their eternal struggle against the Tchortists. As for them killing hundreds of people, while fucked, can be argued as necessary due to the sheer threat that the Cube falling into Tchort's hands would pose to the rest of Underrail. And don't try to argue this point with me, we've seen what happens to the victims of Tchort's experiments, as shown by Detritus, the countless Tchortlings which are from human experimentation, and the rejects in the basement.

As for the protectorate, I'd argue that it's not easy to make any judgement on them until we see what Dis looks like under Protectorate rule.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom