Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail is mediocre (imo)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
To argue about Fallout vs Underrail is like arguing about which-one of your kids you love more.

CHEMS

Scholar
What's the benefit of Mercantile? None. ( you get rich pretty fast)

That makes 0 sense. Mercantile useless? Resource management makes a huge importance in every playthrough, unless you're playing in easier difficulties where you would be swimming in charons just killing shit. I'd like to see you say that playing on Hard, let alone play on Dominating.
And most of the builds end up poorly, so like most players you dig for recommendations on the forums.
That one is the most absurd of all. The game has immense potential for synergies between feats, stats, gear and gameplay. You say that because you insist in comparing it to Fallout 2 where you basically just shove all skill points in small arms and get AGI to 10 and wreck the entire game. Underrail has a way bigger approach on planning ahead and making use of your surroundings, so a "jack of all trades" simply won't do. Know what you're building and you'll do fine.

There is no interaction between NPCs, whereas Arcanum, released 14 years before, does have.
Underrail has way more interactible NPCs than Arcanum, by far. Both are great games that have excellent written dialogue and plot. The difference is that Arcanum had Troika behind it while Underrail is 3 serbs in a basement. And yet you can make that comparison, which though unfair, just goes to show how great writing Styg and his team achieved.

All in all, i'm gonna agree with some already said in the thread: you should just git gud.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Yes, exactly. In Fallout you can't even bypass entirely random encounters which is why for example I've marked scout the northen wastes as combat quest. You on the other hand treat any UR quest which requires traveling as combat ones which is silly.
In my pacifist playthrough I had no problems avoiding random encounters with high Outdoorsman and Stealth. Like at all

jackofshadows

Magister
Yes, exactly. In Fallout you can't even bypass entirely random encounters which is why for example I've marked scout the northen wastes as combat quest. You on the other hand treat any UR quest which requires traveling as combat ones which is silly.
In my pacifist playthrough I had no problems avoiding random encounters with high Outdoorsman and Stealth. Like at all
The point was that dude didn't realize feature "do you want to skip x encounter" been added only in the sequel.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Srsly, whining about combat in RPGs? Decline.

What cracks me up about Underrail is the action point balancing. In Fallout 1/2 you can either shoot and move or shoot twice per turn with a basic bitch build, or you can min max to the hilt and get four shots, and it's not really worth it or neccesary.

Meanwhile in Underrail everyone gets to shoot like five times by default, or 3 shots and two grenades, or three insta-killing PSI casts, or whatever. I can't remember the exact balancing but the point is Underrail characters can do a lot more in a turn than in Fallout but you fooking NEED it. Unless you're playing on chump difficulty or using specific tanking builds you pretty much have to kill every single enemy the moment it comes into range or you'll die after your turn.

I'm not saying it's better or worse it's just... interesting is all. Underrail is a game about building as unfair an advantage over your opponents as possible, then going like 300% beyond that because one fucking wrong move and you're toast.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Srsly, whining about combat in RPGs? Decline.

What cracks me up about Underrail is the action point balancing. In Fallout 1/2 you can either shoot and move or shoot twice per turn with a basic bitch build, or you can min max to the hilt and get four shots, and it's not really worth it or neccesary.

Meanwhile in Underrail everyone gets to shoot like five times by default, or 3 shots and two grenades, or three insta-killing PSI casts, or whatever. I can't remember the exact balancing but the point is Underrail characters can do a lot more in a turn than in Fallout but you fooking NEED it. Unless you're playing on chump difficulty or using specific tanking builds you pretty much have to kill every single enemy the moment it comes into range or you'll die after your turn.

I'm not saying it's better or worse it's just... interesting is all. Underrail is a game about building as unfair an advantage over your opponents as possible, then going like 300% beyond that because one fucking wrong move and you're toast.

how about 20 shots per round

notpl

Arbiter
I love underrail but there is a hell of a lot wrong with it beyond just one shitty area. Save scummy as all hell, very tedious world traversal even with the quintuple speedhack (that it took him years of begging to integrate), heaps of trash loot, dialogue skills are poorly implemented - ignoring this ridiculous pacifism argument, they're still bad. Plenty of dud feats even with the game's surfeit of build options. Most of those things are even worse in Fallout, though, if you can bear to take off the rosy glasses. Except for some good (when I was 13) writing there really just isn't much to say about Fallout.

Last edited:
I love underrail but there is a hell of a lot wrong with it beyond just one shitty area. Save scummy as all hell, very tedious world traversal even with the quintuple speedhack (that it took him years of begging to integrate), heaps of trash loot, dialogue skills are poorly implemented - ignoring this ridiculous pacifism argument, they're still bad. Plenty of dud feats even with the game's surfeit of build options. Most of those things are even worse in Fallout, though, if you can bear to take off the rosy glasses. Except for some good (when I was 13) writing there really just isn't much to say about Fallout.

All of that is pretty difficult - if possible for one man to achieve in a single lifetime. He would have had to have cut corners somewhere. I'd like to see a counter example.

notpl

Arbiter

All of that is pretty difficult - if possible for one man to achieve in a single lifetime. He would have had to have cut corners somewhere. I'd like to see a counter example.
I have no idea what you're saying. A counter example of what?

Are there any CRPGs made by a single person that achieve fleshed out, mature systems?

notpl

Arbiter

Are there any CRPGs made by a single person that achieve fleshed out, mature systems?
Oh. I don't know or care, I judge things by their finished merits as presented to me, it's none of my business whether it was designed by a single Serbian crippled war veteran over a weekend or workshopped for ten years by an international committee of nobel laureates. Certainly impressive work for that guy, it would be a factor if I were hiring him for something I'm sure.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
not pandering to C&C faggotry is one of the reasons Underrail is good. RPGs are not about story choices, they are about slaying demons and dragons to save the kingdom

C&C well made isn't the problem, the problem is mediocre C&C out-shadowing crucial RPG components.
Good C&C should be the cherry on the cake, not the main feature, focusing on C&C while forgetting about everything else is just making a visual novel.

Good C&C would be helping to defend a village and then solving its problems makes it grow adding NPC and shops while ignoring the village either gets it destroyed or taken over by raiders.

Still, it only matters if the quest design is well made, the system solid and the combat and encounter design good enough.

Silva

Arcane
Just finished Shadowrun Dragonfall and found it more memorable than Underrail. When you lose to a tablet game with the depth of Angry Birds, you know you're mediocre.

P.S: did they ever implement faster walking speed settings? I swear I spent more time seeing my char walk between screens than doing anything else in this game.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
Are pure psychics shit? I have the two schools that aren't fireballs and I struggle a lot and have to keep reloading combats. But I restarted with a stabby guy and easily wrecked all the combats that gave me so much trouble as a psychic.

I only recently reached core city btw

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom