Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UnderRail review at RPS - and it's negative!

ciox

Liturgist
I guess it doesn't work because there are game mechanics that operate outside of turnbased combat which would be affected by your walk speed, like stealth, or segments where you run around and have to avoid electric floors or complete some other timed challenge all of which are balanced for the current slow walk speed. It seems there's no elegant solution to this for the team to add so they're staying away from it. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.

All of those gameplay interactions probably consume about 1% of your actual playtime of the game, compared to the vast majority of the time that has been spent walking around. The quality of life balance for faster walking convenience vs breaking some fairly minor gameplay elements is pretty obviously tilted, the game would probably be a bunch higher on metacritic, be far better reviewed and have higher sales if they just patched the running animation.

Some people on the Codex have way too much time & autism on their hands to wait around for glacial run speed and aren't bothered by it. The rest of us have no desire to be hindered by something so annoying, because the only time we've got for our RPGs is 4h after work on Fridays.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just trying to see the dev team's angle on this. We're better off writing complaints about this stuff on the official Underrail forums anyway.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
characters that serve only as quest givers or quest targets and don't have much of personality.

If anything, some of the characters have too much personality to the point of being cartoonish. This should be criticized, not praised. It’s a good thing that most NPCs are simple because Underrail is a conventional cRPG whose strengths lies in combat and exploration. I miss the earlier versions of the game when NPCs didn’t have over descriptive texts writen in yellow.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
"“it’s like Fallout or those old Infinity Engine RPGs, but with an interface designed for humans”"

Retard
Yeah, what was wrong with Fallout's UI? The inventory was a little bit of a drag, but otherwise I seem to recall its being extraordinarily approachable.

I think that by “the UI of FO or those IE games” he means “the engrossing mechanics and its related management” that he hates.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
If anything, some of the characters have too much personality to the point they sound cartoonish. This should be criticized, not praised. It’s a good thing that most NPCs are simple because Underrail is a conventional cRPG whose strengths lies in combat and exploration. I miss the earlier versions of the game when NPCs didn’t have over descriptive texts writen in yellow.
You're going to other extreme and completely miss my point. I'm not talking about NPCs that would dump lore on you or tell their life story. I'm talking about NPCs that would seem realistic, made from flesh and blood not pixels (or just interesting). Take Miltiades for example. He's a very colourful character and when we first meet him he doesn't give you a quest, on the contrary, WE are his quest. Or Neleos, he doesn't speak much but the things he says are interesting and his pragmatism and coldness are very refreshing. Feng on the other hand is antipathetic and bitter but under right circumstances we can learn a bit about his past and profit from it at the same time. In Arcanum (Bates for example) or Fallout (Gizmo, Harry, Harold and tons of others) or Vampire the Masquarede: Bloodlines or any other great RPG it's the same and NPCs don't seem like scripted NPCs but have certain charm to them. Underrail lacks this and there isn't a single NPC that I care about.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're going to other extreme and completely miss my point. I'm not talking about NPCs that would dump lore on you or tell their life story. I'm talking about NPCs that would seem realistic, made from flesh and blood not pixels (or just interesting).

I will repeat my point: Underrail is a conventional cRPG whose strengths lies in combat and exploration. I have the suspicion that a well-written game would require not just realist NPCs, but a completely different game world that goes against the design principles. That would require a complete different game. Besides, complaining about writing is repeating the obvious. Comparing it to AoD is pointless since you would need another writer like Vince, which is a master of classic prose.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I bet he gave it a low score because he was waiting for the funny talking skeletons and goat MILF but they never showed up.

the_shadow

Arcane
However, Certifex or Pontifex or whatever his name was was bullshit, that one really did all end up as reloading until he doesn't fuck you up in the first round.

Carnifex was a very unfair fight, but it never bothered me because he's an optional side-quest boss who is intended to be a ridiculous challenge. He's essentially the Demogorgon of Underrail.

Sykar

Arcane
Higher speed makes it easier to stealth. Not harder. Personally in over 300 hours UR I not once felt the need to increase the speed outside of combat.

I hope Styg will keep the speed as it is. I would not mind if he allows for an option or a toggle which I can safely ignore.

Why would it be easier to stealth? The game mechanics are the same, you just have to position and react 5x faster in real time. I obv. found it harder than on 1x.

Combat speed is much better, but even that is better on at least 2x. Walking around core city on 1x made me want to look up a suicide prevention hotline.

The main factor for being discovered is the amount of time you spend in the vincinity of the enemies when you move past them. Less time spend being near them would lead to a lower risk of being discovered. Unless you mean that not only you but also the enemy moves faster.

Also in tricky situations you can just press Enter and move past them in combat mode negating the risk to bump into them.

Parabalus

Arcane
The main factor for being discovered is the amount of time you spend in the vincinity of the enemies when you move past them. Less time spend being near them would lead to a lower risk of being discovered. Unless you mean that not only you but also the enemy moves faster.

Also in tricky situations you can just press Enter and move past them in combat mode negating the risk to bump into them.

If you speed up the game with Cheat Engine everything is faster, including the timers you mentioned. That's why it's harder for you(the human at the keyboard) to react at 5x speed.

Your post makes zero sense.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I can confirm that Underrail is the best shit I've played for years. RPS is clueless and doesn't even know that games are meant to be played, not consumed like McDonalds.

Sykar

Arcane

If you speed up the game with Cheat Engine everything is faster, including the timers you mentioned. That's why it's harder for you(the human at the keyboard) to react at 5x speed.

Your post makes zero sense.

I have never used the cheat engine and will never do so. I was unaware that it speeds up everything and therefore assumed it just speeds up the character. Under that assumption my post makes perfect sense.

TC Jr

Scholar
I'll need to give this game another shot, I went in expecting fallout, so I didn't pay too much attention to combat stats and honestly got my arse kicked, also somewhat lost.

It sucks for games like this cause my experience would be enough for people to think the game is shit/unfair but honestly it's more about being impatient and not learning the game systems or expecting things to work that would work in other RPGs.

Btw is stealth somewhat mandatory? I'm not a fan of it in isometric games.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not mandatory, but definitely useful. If you skip it, make sure your combat is up to par.

Keep in mind that stealth is implemented very well in this game, and is not just an afterthought. Very fun to fiddle around with.

Sykar

Arcane
Not mandatory, but definitely useful. If you skip it, make sure your combat is up to par.

Keep in mind that stealth is implemented very well in this game, and is not just an afterthought. Very fun to fiddle around with.

I love stealth in this game so much that most characters I make have it to some degree. That being said the game is very generous with gear with stealth bonus on so you can do okish without investing in it albeit then you would use stealth mostly to initiate combat and not circumvent it much.

Parabalus

Arcane
I love stealth in this game so much that most characters I make have it to some degree. That being said the game is very generous with gear with stealth bonus on so you can do okish without investing in it albeit then you would use stealth mostly to initiate combat and not circumvent it much.

You can stealth through Deep Caverns with 0 points spent in stealth - using full HQ black cloth gear gives you >150 stealth, and you can use the Cloaking generator as a boost in tough spots.

IMO spending points in stealth above feat breakpoints is very wasteful, even for a "stealth char", because of the ample bonuses you mentioned.

Sykar

Arcane

You can stealth through Deep Caverns with 0 points spent in stealth - using full HQ black cloth gear gives you >150 stealth, and you can use the Cloaking generator as a boost in tough spots.

IMO spending points in stealth above feat breakpoints is very wasteful, even for a "stealth char", because of the ample bonuses you mentioned.

Full stealth allows me to wear pieces which do not have a stealth bonus. I see nothing wasteful there. Also plenty areas are very tough to sneak through completely even with full stealth + stealth gear like parts Depot A.

Also anyone who uses Snipe needs to max it and get all the stealth gear he or she can get.

Black Angel

Arcane
Can you confirm if stealth bonuses from gears count toward Snipe's bonus damage increase? I think it's still worth it for snipers, even though it might be overkill.

Either way, the game is totally viable if you invest in Stealth or not.

Sykar

Arcane
Can you confirm if stealth bonuses from gears count toward Snipe's bonus damage increase? I think it's still worth it for snipers, even though it might be overkill.

Either way, the game is totally viable if you invest in Stealth or not.

Yes it does, just tested it again. My Snipe damage went up according to my toolip when I put on my stealth leather armor instead of being naked.

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The reviewer was a savage. His review is laughable and contains many statements that are completely false. He was either being extremely disingenuous or outright lying on purpose. This is why reviews are useless from monkey people with no depth or breadth to their rpg knowledge. No refinement. A Boones drinking claiming to be a wine aficionado.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Funny, despite this review RPS is the only major-ish website covered the release of Expedition: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ki-underground-in-underrail-expedition-today/

By the same author even.

You can drive a jetski underground in UnderRail: Expedition today

Tunnel-diving RPG UnderRail has its own waterworld as of today, as creators Stygian Software released an expansion named Expedition. Taking place partway through the base game, it opens up a giant underwater lake called the Black Sea (no, not that one), over and around which players can scoot on a range of jetskis, and fight sea drakes, pirates, and dormant robots, and meet a society of boneyard dwellers.

This “secondary campaign” adds over 250 areas, three new weapon classes, and a heap of new character feats, items, and craftable gubbinses. A trailer entrails below.

After much initial optimism I got bogged down in annoyances and struggled to enjoy UnderRail, but its efforts to recreate but also modernise the much-vaunted original Fallouts were not in vain, and the underground sea setting could add an interesting new flavour and a curiously Ultima-ish tint to its leather-clad proceedings.

An update to the base game also addresses one of my biggest complaints by (optionally) speeding up the game outside the turn-based combat sections, alongside the usual tweaks and pokes. You can read more details on the game’s site.

UnderRail: Expedition is available from Steam and GOG for £8/€8/$10.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaptorRex888

Learned
548849725164d18001903007f1f2bbbfd87789a6ebf63299f4336f8f35676de77b4b52bd.jpg

polo

Magister
Guy is a casul but makes some decent points we already knew Underrail failed at.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom