Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Tigranes

Arcane
(and yes, I do have a notebook with the builds I have used and their exact progression):

I wish I had done what this hero of the realm did, because dear god I've kept myself away from underrail for the xpack and now I've forgotten everything I learned from my original ~5 playthroughs

Is there a consolidated Kodex Opinion on shotgun based build styles or not yet?

agris QT at start will set you up for a huge amount of utility in the early game, and I'd think you can make the call as you go on how big you want traps to be in the mid-late build. I'd say that QT is enough for traps to carry you through difficult early game moments.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks. I haven't played since ~2014 or so and have forgotten almost everything, except that I will go insane with a suboptimal build.

Goromorg

Savant
what's the right amount of points to invest in Guns and Throwing?
For an SMG build, the best possible way right now is to dump PER, max DEX and max melee with Versatility, because:
1) There are no essential SMG feats that require PER.
2) You can go all out on maxing dex, while having decent AGI and CON.
3) You can achieve very high effective throwing skill for Three-pointer feat.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I once made a batman themed character.
A stealthy bastard that shot its crossbow from the shadows, luring enemies into traps and killing the rest with his fists.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
what's the right amount of points to invest in Guns and Throwing?
For an SMG build, the best possible way right now is to dump PER, max DEX and max melee with Versatility, because:
1) There are no essential SMG feats that require PER.
2) You can go all out on maxing dex, while having decent AGI and CON.
3) You can achieve very high effective throwing skill for Three-pointer feat.
Trashos in addition to detection bonuses and the required 10 AGI for Blitz, is there a more nuanced set of reasons you recommended 8 AGI for my sneaky SMG/thrower glass cannon build? I appreciate than a tin can SMG wielder is different than a sneaky leather armor one, just curious if I'm missing something here.

Goromorg

Savant
Regarding SMGs, I forgot to add that with high melee and 5 int, you can also get Exploit weakness for dealing with armored targets. Dirty kick may be worth to take as well.

Trashos

Arcane
Trashos in addition to detection bonuses and the required 10 AGI for Blitz, is there a more nuanced set of reasons you recommended 8 AGI for my sneaky SMG/thrower glass cannon build? I appreciate than a tin can SMG wielder is different than a sneaky leather armor one, just curious if I'm missing something here.

(Let me just remind everyone that I still know nothing about the expansion)

You are going the sneaky route, why are you interested in being a tin can? Don't try to be everything at once, your build won't end up being very good. Is it the "Full Auto" feat that you want? Leave that for Assault Rifle users, it is not worth the investment for SMG builds. Generally, if you are more interested in being a tin can than being sneaky, then Assault Rifles are more appropriate than SMGs.

As for AG:
- It buffs your Stealth. Very important for SMGs, as you will often want to get close before you start combat.
- SMG is a fundamentally a mobility build. Get in, get close, cause havoc, get out. AG increases your Movement Points. Increased mobility also allows you to get to the right angle of attack every time, so that you hit multiple enemies with your burst.
- It allows you get Blitz (at 10), Sprint (6), and also Uncanny Dodge (8), Interloper(7) and Hit&Run(7) if you choose so.

All in all, AG is very important for SMGs. If you need more Ability points for DEX, I 'd cut them from CON (the additional points that come later). Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other ways to go about it too, but I would be surprised if they play better.

What are the essential ones?

Before the expansion at least, Spec Ops and Commando. Also crucial are Sprint, Quick Tinkering and Expertise (although you need to check if Expertise is helpful nowadays- it used to be very OP for SMGs and I wouldn't be surprised if it has gotten nerfed).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Trashos I am not trying to be a tin can, that comment is in regards to Goromorg's suggestions and appreciating they may have a different intended resulting build than what I'm going for.

Thanks for all your input.

Cold Guillotine

Barely Literate
Wanting to use the new stuff I've decided on making an in-your-face shotgunning time manipulator, and I need some build advice to avoid excessive restarts.

This is what I'm thinking: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAgDAwoIBgduOAAAAAAAYG4AAG5QAABuAAAAbgAATCtPJgjCsMKGKmMVwpdVwo_fvw

Would this build be good? I'll be playing on hard.

I have 1 feat left over I'm not sure what to go with. Armor sloping/Gun Nut? Also wondering if opportunist will be worth it, IIRC from a previous playthrough the 15% opportunist bonus damage worked on Cryokinesis which doesnt say 'slow' in its description, just -10 movement speed, so it should also work on Temporal Distortion with its -27 move speed. It will also combo with telekinetic punch and various grenades.
Or surpressing fire? No idea how that would work with shotguns.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Why stop at level 20? Why pick WIL 6 (temporal psi is not that dependant on Will as far as i see)? AGI 3 on a mobile character is not good (to be "in-yo-face" you'll need to move a lot, also to utilize shottie's cone you'll need to move as well). In general from what i've read going tin can (which you are planning on, judging by Juggernaut) is not really suited for shotguns, they are closer to dodgy-mobile SMG warriors. Expertise wont work with shotguns, it is for "bullet based" guns (not pellets). Continuum ripple looks out of place, you should spend your APs on shotgun, sure ripple gives you AoE, but so does shottie's cone. Premeditation looks weird as well, PSI is for support. You did leave out a few interesting perks -- Psycho-temporal Acceleration (this buffs temporal support spells), Kneecap Shot, Suppressive Fire, Pellet Mayhem (might not be strong).

ciox

Liturgist
Wanting to use the new stuff I've decided on making an in-your-face shotgunning time manipulator, and I need some build advice to avoid excessive restarts.

This is what I'm thinking: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAgDAwoIBgduOAAAAAAAYG4AAG5QAABuAAAAbgAATCtPJgjCsMKGKmMVwpdVwo_fvw

Would this build be good? I'll be playing on hard.

I have 1 feat left over I'm not sure what to go with. Armor sloping/Gun Nut? Also wondering if opportunist will be worth it, IIRC from a previous playthrough the 15% opportunist bonus damage worked on Cryokinesis which doesnt say 'slow' in its description, just -10 movement speed, so it should also work on Temporal Distortion with its -27 move speed. It will also combo with telekinetic punch and various grenades.
Or surpressing fire? No idea how that would work with shotguns.

Not sure if the builder handles that properly but it seems like your strength starts at 3? You need at least 5 for shotguns to not lose accuracy.

I would also get Psychotemporal Acceleration asap, you want to run around as much as possible to shoot people in the face, and getting 3 turns of extra MP and AP will help a lot.

Cold Guillotine

Barely Literate
The starting stats are not accurate no, I'd probably start with at least 7str/7con/7per

And yes you're right Psychotemporal Acceleration is a must, that + Psycho-temporal Contraction would be enough extra movement so the 3ag shouldnt matter.

I should probably go WIL 4.
The thinking behind continuum ripple is to start out fights with some Temporal Distortions which will then proc and continue doing damage as the shotgunning continues.
Premeditation for those 0ap casts, and some psi conservation

Using 'bullet based' in expertise could definitely be clearer, didn't pick up on the distinction there.

Cross-posting:

Expeditions Build:

I name it nignog of the machete horde:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgY...NSyoWwpnCjsKzEzzin4QB4qK1AuKyiAXisokC4rKSBd-_

6 str and versatality for Ar burst when flurry misses.
max dex as melee is primary and dex inc. melee crit chance
7 agi (can be 6 cause sprint but eh)
3 con
3 per
5 will (for feat pre req)
6 int (for weaponsmith; cna be 5 otherwise)

Idea is simple craft a tungsten curved machete; go for flurry and stack the onslaugt stacks. ofcourse keep flashbang/sting ball grenades for cc.
70 temporal manipulation for stasis.
I think the crafting/social skills reach thresholds; cannot be sure but other than that it should be quite self-explanatory

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Pope Amole II, new builds for the expansion when?

I've received my key yesterday. I can pull them outta my ass and theorycraft like no tomorrow, but do you really want that?

I'll try to do hoplite by tomorrow. Then it's gonna be machete and then shotgun. And an overview for all other classes somewhere in-between.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I am going with my Templar suboptimal build. Smashing bandidos with my mighty electric charged sledgehammer while wearing heavy armor and using psychokenisis for crowd control is a blast.

There are incredible builds options that make the game a lot of fun. The option to break it or make yourself overpowered is there but I opt to avoid it.

ciox

Liturgist
So Versatility is not useless?
Depends a lot on what you want to do with it.

Chemical pistols and crossbows can do cool stuff even without feats.
You can also max out its specialization to get 80% synergy instead of 60%, if you want to.
So it's workable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom