Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    while indeed thats superior option to get uber items, its quite intensive on char planning.

What I meant however was different way of metagaming, as in which builds can get similar results with mercantile as with dedicated crafting while spending waaaay less points

^ Top  
  2. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Finding Raul looked tough (all those health points!), but I got it on 1st try (doors are OP). The 6 Goliaths outside Azif almost gave me a heart attack, but I got it after taking some time to think about it.
    Show Spoiler
    I sneaked to the east, planted traps on the corridor bridge and attacked from there. I do not see any other way of doing this, other than the old kill-them-slowly-with-traps, which would take forever.

Speaking of Mercantile, has any of you ever tried playing Dominating without it? I have invested heavily in it, I am a cheapass psi build, and still my finances are nowhere near as comfortable as I would like them to be. So I am questioning whether I should play without Mercantile (in ADDITION to crafting) ever again.

^ Top  
  3. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    If you forget TNT/Jackhammer in Finding Raul you have to clear 6 Goliathuses to get it, but in a small, constrained area. Very tricky if unprepared.

Not fun, especially after Chems freighter trick was patched. Doable if you don't need super steel, but the penny pinching sucks the joy out. Especially the raw charons from increased rewards are noticeable, and nn Ray's shop.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    ^ Top  
  4. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Not too bad but forget about buying a lot of super steel and/or top tier jets. Pickpocket is a very good money maker. All money issues disappear after selling the reef glider and especially the acorn nonetheless.

Also, psi is not that cheap anymore, at least early. Inhalers are pretty expensive, so are mentors.

^ Top  
  5. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    as others said, i feel like main factor for mercantile is to generate charons to get some supersteel.

Problem is that infused leather armors arent that good anymore, also if you have bad luck it migh be easier to get mid tier quality from nagas.

Melee builds that need only light crafting for grenades or such are fine without mercantile even on dom. I think its actually harder other way around - mercantile without crafting. It felt like I was lower on funds when I had to buy mk4 grenades and such

^ Top  
  6. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    And to think that, back in the day (before Dominating came to life), I was one of the players lobbying for harsher economy. My only suggestion ever apparently that Styg was on the same page with (surely by pure coincidence).

I am not entirely certain that the economy should be that harsh for crafters. I think crafters should be perfectly fine without Mercantile, able to buy their super steel and their Devastator. Anyway, I will take a too harsh economy over an EZ life economy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    WHO FOR FUCK SAKE THOUGHT THAT AMAZEMENT WAS A GOOD IDEA????

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Tried a build which kept stealth, evasion and traps in the mix with the crafting stuff.

Started out strong but soon became miserable, not able to keep up with tougher locks and so on. Needing chemistry as well as tailoring to work on Mutant Dog hide was a big fuck you.

This time paring things down to Guns, Throwing, Lockpicking and the Crafting stuff. Seems you need to sacrifice a lot to keep pumping points into those disciplines early.

Overall, crafting definitely adds a lot to this game. ATOM put me off the idea of crafting in this style of game but Underrail definitely seems to do it right from what I've seen so far. For example, no random crafting failure with chance of losing the ingredients. :)

^ Top  
  9. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    I can't believe you people still haven't figured this one out in all these years.

Show Spoiler
    It's colors. The doors have colored lights for a reason. Red, green, blue, repeat.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Yeah I never figured this out.
    Show Spoiler
    Which color should we follow?

^ Top  
  11. Zariusz Arbiter

Zariusz
    To be honest only thing that i figured (and its maybe not even true) is that if you found the key in one of the corners then then the door will be in its opposed corner and vice versa.

^ Top  
  12. Spark Mandriller Augur

Spark Mandriller
    The funny thing is that Gauntlet is meant to be a live broadcast that people watch to be entertained. How could anyone be entertained watching amazement? It's the most boring shit imaginable. I guess most of the other floors wouldn't be that fun to spectate either, but at least they don't take forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. normie Arcane Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Insert Title Here
    I'd find some retard lost in a maze with their life at stake pretty fucking entertaining

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Especially when he finally finds the elevator, cheerfully rushes towards it, only to be blown up by the mines right in front of it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Gotta say, the TC/TM build (Tranquil) is pretty good, and I recommend it. TC and TM synergize very well, as Time Distortion does not break Mental Breakdown on application (it only breaks it when the damage is done).
    The main combo I am using of course is LoC/Mental Breakdown-->Neural Overload for living enemies. Distortion on robots. Due to the way Distortion works, the toughest test is going to be when I will have to face multiple robots (Black Sea and Arke- I will take the easy way out of RAF).

^ Top  
  16. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Why do so many people complain about robots? Once you get a 1500+ energy shield, all of them become trivial.

^ Top  
  17. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    We will see about that, I guess. I cannot predict it currently.

(I am not really complaining, btw. I knew right from the start that robots are going to be a tough challenge for this build.)

^ Top  
  18. Twiglard Poland Stronk Patron Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Strap Yourselves In
    I hate my sword build.

It's pretty survivable even at high levels (despite the lack of parry feats), but having to lure enemies around the corner and cast temporal contraction is annoying. I feel like finishing the game would be a matter of little more than gaming the Eye of Tchort timer. Crit for 500 dmg is decent but it's not worth the hassle.

Damn swords require 6 DEX with no AP benefit. And for what, if Flurry fails randomly with 95% THC? Fail it twice in a difficult fight and you have to reload. Try that Lemurian Grand Archives fight without reloading on flurry miss... It should either drop the 95% cap, reroll once, or only go on cooldown when missing twice in a row.

I have 5 ways of stunning the enemy but what's the fucking point.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Machetes have extremaly high highs and extremaly low lows. Running around with 20 stacks of onslaught is crazy, as is spamming flurries. On the other hand you can miss a flurry and that's that.

I actually hate this kind of gameplay a lot and hate how the sniper rifles got changed into being the exact same thing - extremaly high body count if you keep shooting spree up, or you miss/don't kill on the 1st shot and cry.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sheepherder Savant

Sheepherder
    Nah, swords do fine even if you miss a flurry. They cost 15 AP and have Ripper boosting their critical damage along with CP. Plus there's LTI. And Red Dragon. So they have high highs and average lows.
    Snipers do seem to have been a bit shafted by the increase in AP costs, but as with any other issue a weapon type has - there's always a remedy for that if you have TM :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I just noticed this:
    That "otherwise".... Does he mean the laser cats inside or... does he mean the player character?
    I remember one of the ending slides saying something like "what happened to the Free Drones will haunt you until your death" (not exact quote- but I remember the mention of eventual death), so I am probably reading too much into it.

All these questions that will never be answered, sigh. I have been wondering for a long time whether our character is just a nobody or someone with a past connected to major events.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Twiglard Poland Stronk Patron Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Strap Yourselves In
    It's actually not that great. A fully-charged and specialized flurry is 10 AP. It kills up to 1 enemy. It has no penetration unless using expose weakness with its long cooldown.

SMG burst costs 8-12 AP, kills 3-5 enemies, missing will kill 1-4 enemies, always has penetration, and has some range. It's easier to kill either groups of enemies or extremely tough enemies on a lower level taking less risks and using less drugs.

Or try a rifle build. Shooting Spree with Snipe + Aimed Shot, then 4 bursts using Commando, drugs and TM. It can only fail at 2 points (using Shooting Spree) and even then, you can still use the bursts. Sword has to hit with 95% THC 3 times per 10AP flurry.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Making some headway this time with a more focused build. Finally got my gun nut shotty and a king's ransom in cartidges.

Just a noob question for you guys, how do you manage all your crafting garbage. My latest run I bit the bullet and keep it all in my private quarters, ferrying back stuff from remote stashes that I know I will want to use.

Is there a better way of doing this I'm missing? It feels annoying leaving stuff I might want later in out of the way stashes.

I guess it will be less of an issue as I figure what's actually useful, but interested in any tips for managing all this junk.

^ Top  
  24. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    With TM you can game the cd a lot with stasis and LTC, but still annoying.

I went with a 18 DEX build with the katana and found the damage more than enough.

Not worth it, drop it at trainstations, on the floor. It never goes away. Useful for traders, always drop excess loot at their feet, so you can sell it when you pass by.

A bit later you can do it at your house, you'll see why it's worth it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AdamReith Magister Patron

AdamReith
    RPG Wokedex
    Thanks, it's a shame there isn't a more "in universe" way of managing the stuff. Like a shuttle service or a vehicle of some kind. Leaving my junk in trash cans or in front of a trader feels kind of goofy.

Will be interested to see how getting a house shakes things up.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.