Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It must be ring of Galbo again.

Zeem

Learned
Anyone figure out what the hell Coral's charms do yet?

Far as I'm concerned right now, the only thing that Coral does is let me know to restart my game since evidently she's mutually exclusive with Booth.

Seriously, FUCK that.
I dug through the psi beetle charm's .item file and it doesn't have any active or passive qualities outside of its ability to be equipped into an equipment slot and generic item properties (name, description, cost, weight, etc). If it does anything it must be running checks in some other place, like the guards in Port Zenith with Bob's pass or plasma walkers in Core City's research facility with Coretech's pass.

Mauman

Learned
I dug through the psi beetle charm's .item file and it doesn't have any active or passive qualities outside of its ability to be equipped into an equipment slot and generic item properties (name, description, cost, weight, etc). If it does anything it must be running checks in some other place, like the guards in Port Zenith with Bob's pass or plasma walkers in Core City's research facility with Coretech's pass.

Oh for fuck's sake :roll:

I wouldn't find this so annoying if it wasn't for the whole "No tattoo artist" thing.

Also, supposedly the traveler's curse is real based on someone's testing that I was reading about on reddit. I find that darkly amusing that her curses are real but her blessings are complete bullshit.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Her curse is real, it adds a huge penalty to hit chance that isn't displayed. 95% becomes about 60%. Tested at the SGS range by many people with decent samples, so it's not just a bias or an anomaly.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Its been a while so just to double check, will I miss any oddities by using the NoT agility shortcut instead of going around the longway? What if I use the vine shortcut? Any oddities on that route?

Trashos

Arcane
Are you talking about avoiding the creepers region? Yes, it does yield several oddities, including at least one unique that I remember. I do not remember all the details, but I remember that my conclusion was that I should not be avoiding the creepers lair.

Jezal_k23

Add a random chance for one of your items to be looted by Al Fabet if you stash it in Core City. And then make it so you can recover it by buying it back from him.

I would hate this, but also it would be funny.

Zeem

Learned

Oh for fuck's sake :roll:

I wouldn't find this so annoying if it wasn't for the whole "No tattoo artist" thing.

Also, supposedly the traveler's curse is real based on someone's testing that I was reading about on reddit. I find that darkly amusing that her curses are real but her blessings are complete bullshit.
Much like real life, gypsy charms are a scam, but gypsy curses are real.
Also, she can cast PSP on herself despite not being a psionic.

Trashos

Arcane
Got Balor on first try. lvl20, I was too worried about it to do it sooner.
Entered from the north next to the elites room. The next step needs to happen fast, because we need to kill the elites before Balor enters. Entered the room, Mental Breakdown on the 3 I could immediately see, killed the distant one with NO. Used the following rounds to kill the incapacitated ones one by one.

Then stealthed and waited next to the door from where Balor would enter. As soon as he entered, I closed the door, Mental Breakdown, and rained Temporal Distortions on him for 2 rounds. After the Temporal Distortions went off, I finished him off with NO.
Quick and clean, just the way I like it. This was essentially the same method I used with my glove build, but in the glove case the stunning came from the hits. Now on to finish the 2nd floor of the Emporion Mall, for which I haven't found a "clean" method yet.

dubLEs

Novice
Got Balor on first try. lvl20, I was too worried about it to do it sooner.
Entered from the north next to the elites room. The next step needs to happen fast, because we need to kill the elites before Balor enters. Entered the room, Mental Breakdown on the 3 I could immediately see, killed the distant one with NO. Used the following rounds to kill the incapacitated ones one by one.

Then stealthed and waited next to the door from where Balor would enter. As soon as he entered, I closed the door, Mental Breakdown, and rained Temporal Distortions on him for 2 rounds. After the Temporal Distortions went off, I finished him off with NO.
Quick and clean, just the way I like it. This was essentially the same method I used with my glove build, but in the glove case the stunning came from the hits. Now on to finish the 2nd floor of the Emporion Mall, for which I haven't found a "clean" method yet.

I'm playing the game for the first time and I found Balor's compound my first real "wall". I beat him at level 12 with my crossbow/metathermics build, but the whole quest was really hard (even for this games standards). I'm trying to minimise my use of the wiki/guides, so I had no real idea of what level I was supposed to be fighting him and his goons at.

Trashos

Arcane
dubLEs, this is my 1st try on Dominating, but I have been playing the game on Hard for a long time. So I knew the maps and my preferred route to reach Balor.

Generally, even on Oddity there are many easy level ups to get once the game opens up after Junkyard, and experienced players will often reach lvl14-16 before even considering any of the tougher quests. Experience pays off in this game (which is why the more you play it the sweeter it gets).

I do not like slow weapons like crossbows myself (and, regardless, I believe that crossbows are not a good weapon for beginners), but Metathermics is powerful so it will be fun!

grumf

Novice

Cheese method I use is to bear trap up to the door - kill the lunatic hiding in the room and use the door to break LoS while throwing gas grenades / molotovs.

Trashos

Arcane
My method is much-much cheesier, I am afraid.
Clear the south corridor with stealth kills (this part I am happy with). Then plant traps across the corridor, add caltrops, and use TNT to invite them over. After several rounds of this (not sure, 6 rounds?) they are all dead.
I am never in danger, but that's a lot of cheese. I am not willing to fight half the map at once, though.

dubLEs

Novice
My method is much-much cheesier, I am afraid.
Clear the south corridor with stealth kills (this part I am happy with). Then plant traps across the corridor, add caltrops, and use TNT to invite them over. After several rounds of this (not sure, 6 rounds?) they are all dead.
I am never in danger, but that's a lot of cheese. I am not willing to fight half the map at once, though.

I used stealth to very slowly clear groups of 2-3 enemies. It was my first difficult quest after obtaining a shield, which I now realised I should have fast-tracked getting. I was generally okay against ranged attackers, but melee enemies fucking destroyed me if they got too close (my physical attributes are all 3, save Dexterity which is slightly higher so I could get the Marksman talent).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Are there any oddities to be gained by attempting the four Naga fight, or doing Creeper/Hopper Island? Its been a while so I've forgotten.

Trashos

Arcane
Nice touch. Spoiler for Black Sea.
When the professor is kidnapped, Briggs accuses and has you searched. This time I happened to be carrying the com device from the Institute of Tchort (the one that the Physics department gives you). They found it and their suspicion grew!

It does not change anything, as they still reach the correct conclusion about the real mole, but I thought it was a nice touch.
I used stealth to very slowly clear groups of 2-3 enemies.

Interesting. Last time I tried to do the eastern room (after having cleared the south corridor), everyone from the north corridor joined in. This was a long time ago, but maybe I should try it again.

dubLEs

Novice
Interesting. Last time I tried to do the eastern room (after having cleared the south corridor), everyone from the north corridor joined in. This was a long time ago, but maybe I should try it again.

As I said, I used a crossbow which is obviously far quieter than a gun/attracts less mobs. Every time I tried to shoot my pistol, the whole area would add into the fight.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Are there any oddities to be gained by attempting the four Naga fight, or doing Creeper/Hopper Island? Its been a while so I've forgotten.
None, other than the Naga oddities. The hopper island has literally nothing of value in general.

Mauman

Learned
Nice touch. Spoiler for Black Sea.
When the professor is kidnapped, Briggs accuses and has you searched. This time I happened to be carrying the com device from the Institute of Tchort (the one that the Physics department gives you). They found it and their suspicion grew!

It does not change anything, as they still reach the correct conclusion about the real mole, but I thought it was a nice touch.
I used stealth to very slowly clear groups of 2-3 enemies.

Yeah, it amazes me how much this game takes into consideration.

Institute spoilers

Earlier today I was looking for Pavel and went down the wrong corridor (stupid nearly invisible door) and came across Efreitor Mateo. I backed away and didn't interact with him in any way. No clicking on him, no nothing.

When I finally got around to doing that quest I was able to tell the Protector guy that I had already seen him, that he was standing around looking at crystal, and no I didn't talk to him.

I was rather impressed by that.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
None, other than the Naga oddities.

I don't remember the situation with the Oddities, but it is not like there is no payoff. All those Nagas are there for a reason.
There is a unique Lemurian Spear there that is absolute dog. Other then that it's just a bunch of components and random loot that is of no use to any late game character.

As a side note, why do all the unique spears suck absolute fucking ass? There are only three of them, and they are all pretty late game unique weapons, with the only one that you could reasonablly rush and get being the Rust Maker which is even more shit than the other two Spears. Høddurform isn't even a spear, it's a staff for Psi users! It's pretty lame that all the other meelee weapons get uniques that are at least decent, with some of them being good enough to design builds around (Red Dragon, Balor's, Captain's Cutlass)! All I'm saying is that there should be some more Spear love.

Trashos

Arcane
here is a unique Lemurian Spear there that is absolute dog. Other then that it's just a bunch of components and random loot that is of no use to any late game character.

Not impressed by the Lemurian Treasure Room, I see.
Sell all the stuff and make a lot of money. It was a very lucrative location, I recall (although part of it was the loot from the Nagas itself, probably). Regardless, I thought the awesome location was a kind of strange payoff on its own.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=7831.0

A post I made in the Underrail forums under suggestions. If you guys agree with my points I think it'd be nice if y'all posted in the thread to show Styg that it's not just some random guy spouting nonsense, and if you disagree with something specific I said feel free to call me a retard in the thread.
here is a unique Lemurian Spear there that is absolute dog. Other then that it's just a bunch of components and random loot that is of no use to any late game character.

Not impressed by the Lemurian Treasure Room, I see.
Sell all the stuff and make a lot of money. It was a very lucrative location, I recall (although part of it was the loot from the Nagas itself, probably). Regardless, I thought the awesome location was a kind of strange payoff on its own.
I thought it was an awesome location too, don't get me wrong. I just wish there was a unique oddity to incentivize doing the Naga fight even after you've already been inside the treasure room once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom