Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Crafting armor and weapons picks up once you get to around level 16+ I'd say, as it's only then that you get enough skill points to truly make some dominating gear that is better than what you can find on the market. And that's not even mentioning a lot of the custom armor that you can only craft and not buy when it comes to leather armors and such.
    If you're a tank, you can deal with up to four goliathus's fairly comfortably I'd say, but larger numbers than that and you're going to have a hard time surviving their massive damage output.
    If you rush to core city right away than I'd say no. Once the world opens up I like to go Camp Hathor, Rail Crossing, Foundry, and then Core City in that order, and the game flows really well that way. It's possible you're overwhelming yourself by rushing Core City early and this will help put some structure into the game to keep you motivated, but chances are the game just isn't for you if you've tried so many builds and just can't stay motivated.

I personally think the world building is quite excellent, and the writing pretty damn good, so those things kept me interested, along with the great combat and so on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Did that - I sneaked around but killed them all after regardless. So, possible, but tedious.
    I would kill myself if I would be forced to stealth through the labyrinth at any difficulty. Why do that when you can get 100% immunity?

^ Top  
  3. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    How? I do not see how it is possible.
    Both times I did this area on DOM there were always several burrowers and spawn right at the ladder. I would stealth kill the ones that would move away to thin out their numbers, but there were still several.

Right, I do it by going 100% Acid resistance myself. But this dungeon has obviously been designed to have a stealth solution too, and I do not think it works very well. Too small room for error for a long time, and too much luck needed.

lukaszek reported above that he did it by stealth with a lot of patience. I respect that, but I still believe it needs luck regardless of patience. There is very little room with all those creatures around.

^ Top  
  4. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Just not this.

^ Top  
  5. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Pure Tranq PSI still wants Psychostatic Electricity and in fact max Specialization points in it to deal with robots. It is doable without but having 70% crit and Tranq crit bonus helps a lot against them. Continuum Ripple is workable but waiting 2 turns and hope that RNG is merciful is not much fun tbh.

^ Top  
  6. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I have started a TC/PK build on DOM. This is my 2nd effort at a psi build with the new system (the first one was TC/TM). While I prefer the new psi system to the old one, here are some suggestions that I believe would improve it.

- Introduce a feat that increases psi slots. If the developers would rather not increase psi slots for psi support builds, the feat could have a minimum requirement of Will 8 (and maybe INT 8 too).

- I believe that psi inhalants should be usable in combat. If the developers are with two minds over this, maybe they can make them usable in combat with a huge AP price (40-50 AP), so that there will still be reason to use a psi booster instead, depending on the situation.

- There is the issue with Neurology and the Psi Circuit Extension mod losing their bonus when momentarily replacing the psi headband with something else. Psi builds do a lot of headband replacing, be it for trap detection or stealth. This is downright annoying, and it has made me avoid psi extensions and the Neurology feat. I believe the bonus should return when the headband is put back.

^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar

• Informative Informative x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    I actually started using different armors, messing around with stuff and solutions and such with a pistol fighter, and HOLY FUCK the Fetid Marshes and huge chunks of Expedition became a NOTHING after using the Chemical Assault Armor and Biohazard Boots.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    I went through them on Dominating with Tungsten Metal Armor on my Psi Sledgehammer Build and it was honestly a fun location. Perhaps this whole time, Styg has wanted to encourage using various different armors throughout one playthrough, to adept to your enemies. Maybe he was right all along...

EDIT: But there is one fight where you aggro like 6-10 Sea Wyrms all at once on Dominating which is just fucking ridiculous, like come on Styg.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Does it mean debuff will hit @ even with 100% cold res? Cause before 100% cold res provided immunity in Ice Tower.

^ Top  
  11. Ol' Willy Arcane Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Chemical Assault Armor + Biohazard Boots + Aegis Helmet = 100% Acid immunity, so, AFAIK, Sea Wyrms become harmless

^ Top  
  12. grumf Literate

grumf
    As long as your bring enough repair kits.

^ Top  
  13. Spark Mandriller Augur

Spark Mandriller
    Just tested, and yes, the debuff pierces it now. Better put aluminium cloth on and bring a whole lot of molotovs to hit yourself with from now on.

^ Top  
  14. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Anything you can do now you could do previously with far less braindead tedium. I can see the need to have an extra money sink but that could have been achieved via more expensive PSI boosters with an added rare/expensive ingredient to craft.
    All this update to PSI did was make it even more brain dead and make niche PSI abilities completely and utterly worthless even for single school PSI builds like Neurovisual Disruption. It now boils down to choose two schools, supplement with grenades, still breezing through the game even more brain dead than before, in fact crafted grenades are more OP than PSI overall just more expensive.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Well, yeah, it is more tedious to do what we were doing in the old system, because the new system wants us to treat psi builds differently. It is geared towards 1-2 school builds now.

I totally disagree that the new system is braindead, I find it smarter now. Eg, when you have to deal with all the situations with just one school, you have to get more creative. You do not have to use grenades when you have at least 2 schools, if you were not using them before.

The costs are more in line with the rest of the builds now, so generally that's a good thing.

All that said, it is obvious from my post above that I do not agree with all the details of the new system. My two biggest disagreements are probably the psi circuit extension/neurology bonuses disappearing (it is too annoying in practice for any balancing discussion to be relevant), and the number of spell slots for full psi builds.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    What do you chemical pistoleros do to avoid your own acid puddles?

I am thinking:
    - Sure Step. But if you are an SI build you will probably want to use caltrops for manipulating your health.
    - Gear. Infused mutuated dog leather comes along later in the game. If you are a glass cannon, do simple mutated leather tabis cut it?

Am I missing anything?

^ Top  
  17. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Well there's also the different types of chemical pistols. It's not just acid. It's fire. It's freezing.

^ Top  
  18. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    It's sort of difficult choice for me - on the other hand Sure Step is very convenient, on the other - it's a feat you spent, which you could change with gear later. Like, eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Btw what kind of build you use? I recommend Versatility one.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    I am playing TC/PK right now (it rocks, naturally). I am considering chemical pistols for my next one. Not sure I will enjoy it, I just want to try it. Yes, definitely Versatility. Probably SI. I do not know how to handle the puddles before the relevant gear appears. I might go Sure Step and also take Last Stand for going under 30% health. But that's 2 feats.

^ Top  
  20. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Well, chem guns arn't that rich on feats. But Versatility also add some feats you could take, so dunno.

^ Top  
  21. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Nothing. My chemolero only ever walks backwards, leaving an ever growing trail of horse worms on the ground. After the battle concludes, he stands exactly still and takes a cigar break.

(It's never really been a massive problem for me because even on dom a chemolero just burns through everything pretty quick. The primary source of reloads is when the battle ends and I click on the loot)

It's a very enjoyable build, there's something cathartic about crafting a chemgun at level 6 and blasting into Depot A with it.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    I ran a hybrid Crossbowman+chemgun build (acid entanglement + deadly snares), and was using sure step to avoid getting burned by puddles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    not reading all the pages, did anyone eventually unlock that new dominating-only area in the tower?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Now I'm wondering on how fun a sledgehammer build with a chemical pistol for snaring people would be.

^ Top  
  25. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    After tinkering with the Character Builder for a good 2-3 hrs, I still don't know what the fuck I am doing with this build. At least I decided that I am ditching SI, and I am going to work with Ambush and Caltrops (Sure Step) instead. I have never worked seriously with Ambush or Caltrops, so it is going to be exciting to try a new style (up until I decide that my build sucks).

So my first try at a Chemical build is going to look like this:
    Show Spoiler
    STR3 DEX10++ AG7 CON3 PE6 WILL3 INT8
    I had one ability point too much and I put it in INT for the skill points.
    PE6 for Ambush, AG7 for the naval feats (but it could be no less than 5 due to Sure Step).

FEATS: Pack Rat, Versatility, Sure Step, Grenadier, Opportunist, Cooked Shot, PT Acceleration, Ambush, Mad Chemist, Escape Artist, Blindsiding, DEX+2, and the rest may be Quick Pockets, Sprint, Nimble, Future Orientation. I have not decided on the order exactly yet.

It is a very difficult build to design with confidence before experiencing it, and I have no doubt that my 2nd try is going to look different.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.