Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMOA...QH2NOWWLCsyYRw4DinrsC4qGHBOKqigHisrsC4rWuBt-_

Playing right now with this build as I wanted to experience some ChemPistol action before I inevitably make a spear build for the last update which hopefully will give some love to spears. However I intend to ask what the hell is Persuasion good for? It just seems like such a redundant skill, I was looking at the Pers. checks in the game:

https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persuasion

And none of them justify me putting points in this skill; maybe investing some at the start for a better starting weapon with Lucas, dodging the GMS fight is reasonable, but investing more than 10 points is a hard sell for me. Has anyone played a Pers build?

It's for the RP options.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I inevitably make a spear build for the last update which hopefully will give some love to spears.
Spear builds as is are my favorite builds. Tons of versatility and I just really love the feel of them and the riot gear. If they get buffed in the new update I won't be complaining, but they're really strong as is.
However I intend to ask what the hell is Persuasion good for? It just seems like such a redundant skill, I was looking at the Pers. checks in the game:

https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persuasion

And none of them justify me putting points in this skill; maybe investing some at the start for a better starting weapon with Lucas, dodging the GMS fight is reasonable, but investing more than 10 points is a hard sell for me. Has anyone played a Pers build?
Literally every build I play has persuasion. I've theorycrafted specific builds before only to abandon them once I realized I just wouldn't have sufficient skillpoints to budget in persuasion. It's needed to get the optimal result in several questlines as well as needed for different lore dumps and such. The list that you linked is far from exhaustive. The list was made before expedition even came out, and is missing a ton of different checks. Getting around 90 effective Persuasion is good enough as you can get +20 Persuasion very easily on all characters, and if you join JKK you can get +25- to +40. An effective persuasion of 110 is needed for all the checks in the game so really it's not too bad of a skill investment, especially since you can put in points to meet certain thresholds, and dump some more in right before a big check.

Now I'm kind of autistic about wanting to get the optimum solution, so it's really not that big of a deal, but it's definitely not useless and it adds to my enjoyment of the game.

If Styg got to making social skills and dialogue options more impactful in Infusion, Underrail really would have it all.

Persuasion is mostly just to feel nice, but there are a bunch of items that boost persuasion and it gets 20% synergy with/from mercantile, so you can hit the persuasion checks to get friendly endings to quests without too much investment. Especially if you join JKK. I don't really see much point going past 60 (75 if you join Protectorate) though. Gets too expensive, and the only relevant check that's higher is to convince the pirates to let you pass through their territory to LemCo instead of going through fetid marsh, which is only useful if you stick with Aegis and don't prevent the kidnapping and negotiate instead of killing them. That's pretty specific.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you're playing on Dom and you're on your 5th/10th/100th playthrough, the social skills are entirely a bonus, probably Mercantile is the one to take.

PERS I largely appreciate for saving 5 minutes of my life each time walking back and forth for the Blaine hint.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
I just learned that there exists a Hopperdrome. Completely missed it in my first playthrough somehow.

Running a non-psi built is very satisfying as melee gives me such an easy start I laughed when i noticed that punching rats to death does more damage than my pistol, guess I’ll just melee my way into getting my first ChemPistol at Fixer’s.

We’ll see how this low PER character will fare at RK as I’m more than sure that you guys will hear me bitch about the constant bear traps.

5XqcV8f.png

Ghulgothas

Arcane
To this game's credit, persuasion isn't actually that necessary for getting access to all the unique written content. Persuasion is more about getting easy solutions, bypassing obstacles and bumming consumables from people.

IIRC, aside from all the Monolith gobbledigook; the most important dialogue checks were Hacking for rebooting IRIS and Intimidation for talking down Yngwar.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
To this game's credit, persuasion isn't actually that necessary for getting access to all the unique written content. Persuasion is more about getting easy solutions, bypassing obstacles and bumming consumables from people.

IIRC, aside from all the Monolith gobbledigook; the most important dialogue checks were Hacking for rebooting IRIS and Intimidation for talking to Yngwar.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure PSI, hacking, and lockpicking are more important to the lore than pers.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrails final big update was just released :cry:

That means it’s time for another play through of this great game. Will have to study patch notes to see which build is ideal to see all the new content.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lootboxes, NFts, and micro transactions planned for Underrail Infusion.

More seriously: If possible, there is a slight chance of a second Underrail paid DLC with new mechanics. They also might add stuff here and there, like new abilities, etc. Why just a slight chance? Most of their development from now on is focused on Infusion.
Mon, January 31
Dev Log #71: New Year's Resolution

Hi guys,

Today we're releasing our last major free content update for Underrail. It's been just a bit over six years since the full release of the base game, and I think that's a nice and round number to rest at. After this we're going to transition to working at about 95% of our collective capacity on our next project known under codename Infusion. You can see what's this project about and follow its development here: stygiansoftware.com/infusion. We should start posting dev logs there more regularly soon.

However, this does not mean that we're completely done with this game. We intend to support it as long as we exist as a company and also periodically release small content updates which will mostly feature mechanical tweaks, as well new items and abilities. We have quite a robust system for creating interesting items at this point, which we intend to use to further extend Underrail's playstyle catalogue so to speak.

Also we have some bigger features planned for the future, such as better adapting the game's UI and controls to Steam Deck, creating tools for community translation projects, potentially porting the game to other platforms, and more.

Another distinct possibility is an additon of a small paid DLC for Underrail, as there are some substantial gameplay mechanics that we initially planned to add in the second DLC (following Expedition), but were left in a state of limbo after we decided to move onto Infusion instead.

Exactly when any of these things will come about, I do not know. They will mostly require me to spend my programming time on them, which I will not have much to spare as Infusion is going to occupy most of it in the coming years. So don't expect rapid progress in any of the things mentioned above.

Before I hit you with all the bullet points, here's an
important notice
: due to the nature and quantity of changes made, the update will first be deployed onto the
Experimental
branch.

To play experimental branch on Steam, you right click the game in your library and go to "Betas" tab. Make sure you don't override all your live version saves just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Now, without further ado, here's the list of changes and additions that come with this update, minus the secret stuff, of course:

MAJOR STUFF

• Implemented, new slightly visually touched up, UI that is available in 3 sizes; classic UI still available
  • The game will now automatically be zoomed on higher resolutions (which can then be changed through manual zooming if it's enabled)
  • Introduced a brand new Core City questline as an alternative to joining an oligarch
  • Improved nearly all unique and some rare weapons and armor - go check them out
  • You can refurbish your old world firearms at one of the firearm enthusiasts
  • Characters can now save up to 10 action points at the end of their turn and add those to their next turn
  • Base ability values are no longer capped at 20, but instead the maximum bonus on top of the base value that you can accumulate is 10

UI

• Implemented borderless windowed display mode
  • Item's special abilities/attacks will now have icon in the item's tooltip next to the description
  • Fixed character's speech bubble and health bar offsets when zoomed in
  • Zooming step changed to 25% (down from 50%)
  • Added an option to follow the player character (default hotkey: F3). This is kind of an experimental feature, so be sure to let me know if you discover any bugs

Feats

• Opportunist - description now specifies it only works against living targets
  • Pummel - will now list the action point cost
  • Fend - Base action point cost changed to 60% of normal attack ap cost (down from 100%)

Specializations

• Fend: Action Point Cost - Ap cost reduction per point changed to 8% (down from 10%)

Items

• Item effects (such as poisons and gun oil) will now display a small icon in the corner of the parent item
  • You can now use poisons to coat suitable melee weapons if you have the required Biology skill level; the poisoned weapons will then apply that poison in a certain number of attacks; you can coat a weapon with only one poison at a time
  • Added Sharpening Stone - Can sharpen a bladed melee weapon, increasing its damage by 10% for the next 30 strikes, but permanently reducing its max durability by 5%
  • Added Firecracker Cap item enhancement that can be applied to sledgehammers and crowbars to cause an explosion on the next hit
  • All-in now decreases intelligence by 3 instead of increasing it
  • Commando Belt moved to static loot
  • [Expedition] Frogfish biology requirement changed to 50 (up from 25)
  • [Expedition] Add a new unique spear and sword that can be found before going to Black Sea

Ammo

• W2C bullets now ignore 35%-45% of mechanical damage resistance depending on bullet caliber (down from fixed 65%), threshold interaction remains he same
  • 5mm Shock Round - Damage changed to 8-15 (up from 5-10) and now has 3% chance to daze target for 1 turn
  • 7.62mm Micro-shrapnel Round - The damage that penetrates the armor is increased by 25% against organic targets
  • 8.6mm Incendiary Round - Now also deals 10-20 heat damage on impact
  • 9mm Acid Round - Acid damage changed to 15-30 (up from 10-20)
  • .44 Explosive Round - Heat and mechanical explosion damage changed to 23-45 (up from 15-30)

Crafting

• Steel and tungsten plates requirement is now capped at 30 mechanics when crafting bullets
  • W2C Bullets blueprint now requires hexogen instead of raw tnt and produces 20 bullets (down from 30)
  • JHP Bullets blueprint now produces 20 bullets (down from 30)
  • Changed enriched health hypo critical chance to 10% (up from 5%)
  • Large intestine biology requirement changed to 45 (down from 50)
  • Taurine biology requirement changed to 45 (down from 50)
  • Anglerfish biology requirement changed to 90 (down from 100)
  • Fusing Enzyme biology requirement changed to 90 (down from 100)

Quests/Zones/NPCs

• Increased t-boss health on dominating difficulty, and his damage resistance on all difficulties
  • Expanded upon Motion and Motioners; this drug is now both better and worse
  • You can now bring Gorsky high-quality energy shields from other sources as an alternative to raiding Port Zenith
  • Added an agility check that allows you to climb up and down between the Caerus Residential Block square and SW building second floor
  • Added fireplaces to certain locations in Deep Caverns
  • Added a hacking check to Cytosine Outpost storeroom
  • Added more hydraulic fluid canisters to Deep Caverns
  • Certain gate components can now be found at multiple locations in Deep Caverns
  • You can now use electronics skill to optimize Arke power plant turbine output for more total power
  • A certain important encounter with the Faceless will now feature some of them having their infusions active from the start (only on Dominating difficulty)
  • Added an extra Thought Control check to the DC mindreading that allows the player to conceal his mischievous behavior
  • You can now bring super steel refining data to Bernard in order to improve the quality of super steel plates; also raised the max quality from 160 to 180 for players who have Expedition installed
  • Leonie will now offer the Infused Leather blueprint as soon as you show her you have super steel plates (currently you have to do the melting process with Bernard first)
  • You can turn metal scraps into low-quality steel plates at Leonie's
  • Added more ways to learn about a certain Foundry arms merchant
  • Added more entries to the super secret organization database, and placed some of the existing ones behind higher access levels
  • Added more options to save Maura
  • You can now borrow (or "borrow") AK from Kokoschka
  • Becket now also offers psi inhalants alongside psi boosters when giving you your equipment package
  • Added Underrail Express tickets which can be pickpocketed from NPCs and used for a single ride
  • New models and portraits for Jon the Beautiful, Sergio the Wizard, and some super secret folks
  • New random events, some of them seasonal, and some related to the player's house
  • Introduced Jookhela's drawing skills to the world
  • Increased requirements for achieving Brutalizer/Brutalette gladiator nicknames, so they shouldn't be so predominant now
  • The Black Crawler now drops an oddity item when killed
  • New entries in the Institute of Tchort library, some of which contain blueprints and will require a special card
  • New skill checks for Octavia, Vuk and Kiro that will unlock certain items for trading
  • [Expedition] Naval mines will now be heard detonating in the distance when someone attacks the camp
  • [Expedition] Added ways to break yourself free from a certain man's mechanical grasp
  • [Expedition] Added certain dialog options to Doc Savage and Marcus that were only available through navcom

Tweaks

• Optimized faction data relations serialization which should improve save/load times of mid and late game savegames somewhat
  • Fixed the pathfinding prioritization to prevent player from getting stuck in place when a lot of NPC pathfinding is taking place
  • Being in turn-based mode will now count as being in combat for purpose of changing equipment

Bugs

• Game will no longer accept mouse clicks in windowed mode when the game window is not focused
  • Fixed the bug that would cause the carried weight to not immediately update when consuming/expending items in a stack
  • Pseudo-spatial Projection will now properly affect Spear Throw
  • Fixed the bug that allowed some items to make the player's mechanical resistance sometimes exceed the normal limit
  • Fixed the bug that cause the item tooltip to not correctly indicate which effects are unavailable due to unmet requirements when the item is not currently equipped
  • Fixed the bug that would cause Bone Breaker to trigger irrespectively of the amount of damage dealt
  • Negative effects of equipped items will now still properly apply even if you do not meet the item requirements
  • Fixed the bug that would cause assault rifle burst attack and pistol rapid fire to calculate each burst hit with the wrong bullet from the magazine (it was offset by 1)
  • Fixed the bug that would cause the Needler's Piercing Shot to hit the pass-through targets twice
  • NPCs will now properly use crossbow to fire special bolts instead of switching weapons when they are out of regular bolts
  • You can no longer trigger Escape Bonds when you're completely encumbered
  • Plasma Beam will now properly hit all targets in the target tile (the ones highlighted when targeting)
  • Fixed the bug that caused psi beetles to try to neural overload force fields
  • Fixed some esoteric explosion bugs
  • You can no longer climb a certain ladder before releasing the very, very bad gas in an under-passages hideout (unless you kill the person supervising you)
  • Captain Rastko will no longer charge double for a single ride
  • Fixed the Green Galaxy furniture set not appearing when switching between it and other bought sets
  • Fixed not being able to report Newton's death if he was killed in certain ways
  • Attacking Jack Quicksilver will now properly register who attacked him and will not instead be attributed to the player for certain quest purposes
  • Killing Vivian at a certain location will now fail the quest and prevent the player from doing certain things which might get them permanently stuck
  • [Expedition] Spear guard triggered from spear attacks will now properly replace a more powerful existing spear guard effect if the latter is about to expire
  • [Expedition] Spear throw will now destealth the thrower after the throw instead before
  • [Expedition] Fixed Improved Naval Combat checking for effective instead of base Agility value in Razor's dialog
  • [Expedition] Fixed a bug which in certain cases prevents players from sleeping in the camp bed more than once
  • [Expedition] Fixed Aran not despawning when he should in certain cases
  • [Expedition] Fixed Ferryman being stuck in the "I'm moving out." phase and not wanting to talk to the player
  • [Expedition] Fixed Dude sometimes not having certain dialogue options when waiting for the player to find something important in his cave home
  • [Expedition] Fixed Briggs getting stuck at the "Shouldn't you be looking for a microchip implant?" line in certain very specific instances
  • [Expedition] Fixed Professor Oldfield not following you when he should
  • [Expedition] Fixed receiving certain NavCom messages if you stole/looted it but never joined the expedition
  • [Expedition] Fixed being able to sail across certain cliffs in the Mutie Refuge zone
  • [Expedition] Fixed wrong closing sounds for one type of Lemurian boxes
  • [Expedition] Fixed infinite Black Eel jet skiers bug

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Time for that seasonal reinstall!

>You can now borrow (or "borrow") AK from Kokoschka
Lmao I've gotta see what the check is for this outcome.

>New models and portraits for Jon the Beautiful, Sergio the Wizard, and some super secret folks.
Let's see just how beautiful Jon can be.

Tigranes

Arcane
Underrails final big update was just released :cry:

That means it’s time for another play through of this great game. Will have to study patch notes to see which build is ideal to see all the new content.

Literally just after I started a new play of course

Looks like key gameplay changes consist of w2c nerf, melee weapon coatings, anf uhhhhh

Characters can now save up to 10 action points at the end of their turn and add those to their next turn

That changes things.

Wunderbar

Arcane
However, this does not mean that we're completely done with this game. We intend to support it as long as we exist as a company and also periodically release small content updates which will mostly feature mechanical tweaks, as well new items and abilities. We have quite a robust system for creating interesting items at this point, which we intend to use to further extend Underrail's playstyle catalogue so to speak.

Another distinct possibility is an additon of a small paid DLC for Underrail, as there are some substantial gameplay mechanics that we initially planned to add in the second DLC (following Expedition), but were left in a state of limbo after we decided to move onto Infusion instead.
god damnit, they will never leave this game be.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so... I couldnt wait, installed and enabled windowed borderless immediatelly.
Ive accepted changes without making sure that everything is proper.
It wasnt.

I have dual monitor setup, I have set slightly larger resolution than ultrawide that I have. After making that change buttons to navigate change resolution were still visible on my screen, but mouse pointer will no longer move all the way down, thus putting them out of reach...
After exiting its even better, now every menu item is out of reach and for the first time ive noticed that you cant use keyboard to navigate it...

so... Anyone knows in which config/location I can manually change resolution?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Which refurbished guns are OP? I'm thinking of Wyatt's pistol, Frost's pistol, the Sonocaster, and Salvation-13.

I'm tied between playing a normal pistol SI/non-SI build, laser pistol SI build, Psi direct damage, Psi puncher, or trying again with machetes but this time with SI.

Also, wasn't there a feat for Plasma Beam? Can't find it on the wiki.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Merry Christmas to my boys. I won't return on Discord any time soon cause I'm kind of busy right now.

It's really scary how some of you people like to post random videos from unknown channels with only a few hundred subscribers. I don't even know how you manage to find some of that stuff in the first place.

Reminds me why I'm very careful not to share any personal information here.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
played for a bit. Bear in mind that change to 10ap saving between turns helps your enemies more than you. Might be better for some stealth kills though.

It feels like there are more psi bugs around?

I must say that im addicted to stabbing and as such im not very happy with spear guy. Perhaps id better go with stabby gun fu instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom