Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
How do you get past the new Coil Spider area in Core City? Killed them all and flipped all the switched / activated all the pillars, but several doors and the trap door are still sealed.
did you try just opening those closed doors?
For those pernamently shut its static discharge that opens them. Perhaps you did miss something in the end. At this point you are interested only in pillars.

Once you find Phreak there you can call it a day

On which map is the shortcut ladder?

It's that one with gangster and a pipe to the caves, went out and can't find it again.
its tile next to faceless forces in a cave with optional zoomer squad to dispatch. I think its merchants level but cant be sure. Ladder is in tight section in between walls. Once there AGI check should appear. Ladder itself should be visible, are you sure that you did exit it in first place?

Parabalus

Arcane
How do you get past the new Coil Spider area in Core City? Killed them all and flipped all the switched / activated all the pillars, but several doors and the trap door are still sealed.
For those pernamently shut its static discharge that opens them. Perhaps you did miss something in the end. At this point you are interested only in pillars.

It's that one with gangster and a pipe to the caves, went out and can't find it again.
its tile next to faceless forces in a cave with optional zoomer squad to dispatch. I think its merchants level but cant be sure. Ladder is in tight section in between walls. Once there AGI check should appear. Ladder itself should be visible, are you sure that you did exit it in first place?

Yeah, but couldn't find the area. Cheers.

Regarding charms, epeli has been trolling some more:

• Surely the activation condition for the psi beetle charm isn't "be near a mindshroom", "be near water tiles" or "be near other psionic characters" right
  • Have you even tried kissing your charms after the second exe patch?
    Anyways, beetle charm is modified psi crit chance and resolve factor.
    The psi crit bonus is 5% modified by charm power factors.
    The resolve malus is 8% modified by charm power factors.

No further insanity involved--this time. Food and fortitude just are something that Styg likes to thematically pair.
  • Good luck.
    This may bias your expectations, but I think rathoundPaw, whiteCatPaw and dogPaw charms are scams.
    They are not part of the same code that governs hopperFoot, psiBeetleClaw, warthogFoot, burrowerTarsus, siphonerFoot, deathStalkerClaw, coilSpiderTarsus charm mechanics and there are no references to them anywhere in the game executable nor in dialog/zone/event/store/fragment files as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Except gameplay on normal doesn't require any meta-knowledge and many people have successfully finished it blindly.

No shit. Just about every single person reading this thread finished the game blindly to start with. One of my Steam friends to whom I gifted the game, and who normally doesn't even play RPGs, finished it blindly before the implementation of the automap.

However, new blood is scarce these days. It's been seven years since Underrrail was released, going on three since Expedition, and Underrrail was a niche title to begin with. What do you really know of the new player experience, now, after all these changes? You can't know it, and neither can I, so I can only speak in the abstract.

If there's anyone reading this thread who's playing Underrrail for the first time, I'd love to hear from you, not for the sake of this argument, but our of pure and genuine curiosity.

Some might say, "If only hardcore dominators are playing the game these days, who cares?" Personally, I want someone to be able to pick up Underrail for the first time in 2040 and have a great experience with it. This isn't just about us die-hard fans, or Styg, but about a great legacy.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how are you testing resolve lol? It doesnt appear to be showing in combat stats.
Water tiles makes sense, coral mentions something about lost souls being attracted to water if you pass persuasion check

Parabalus

Arcane
how are you testing resolve lol? It doesnt appear to be showing in combat stats.
Water tiles makes sense, coral mentions something about lost souls being attracted to water if you pass persuasion check

Some guy in the thread is throwing >500 flashbangs at his feet, counting resists with/without the charm.

Missed one epeli:

• You're going to hate this.

Warthog charm indeed changes TryResistByFortitude (and subsequently also TryResistByFortitudeEquivalentAttack), but its power should depend on time remaining on your current food buff. If it's less than 25%, the effect should be negative.
    Basically,
    >if remaining food duration > 0.25
    > bonus = ((food duration - 0.25) / 0.75) * 0.2 * charms power factor1 * charms power factor2 * warthog charm power factor
    >else
    > bonus = -((1 - food duration / 0.25) * 0.25 * charms power factor1 * charms power factor2 * warthog charm power factor)
    All the power factors are nominally between 0 and 1, except when they aren't.

epeli

Arcane
4db.png

Seriously, not all of those are from me.

Parabalus

Arcane
What's this waste disposal facility in the sewers, via trapdoor in the initial area?

Anything worthwhile there? Random area? The gimmick is annoying.

Parabalus

Arcane

Two zones left of merchant elevator.

Any stat check to skip the phone music puzzle?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What's this waste disposal facility in the sewers, via trapdoor in the initial area?

Randomly-available area with random loot, yes. I don't think there's anything specific there.

Is this your first-ever time playing Underrail, or just been awhile?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I honestly couldn't tell, and I was on my phone wasting time at work, so I couldn't be bothered to run a search.

Now I see that your posting history goes back at least a year, and I thought I remembered you playing the game and posting here before—but you've posted some odd phrases lately that kinda-sorta implied this might be your first time playing. Fucking sue me, asshole.

Anyway, I've been preoccupied trying to find all this great new psi build variety Tygrende had been referring to, only to discover that virtually no feats have been added other than feats that partially un-nerf the psi nerf in some way. There are indeed also a few new wizard hats (found a few last year on my Spec Ops SMG guy), and he mentioned the most interesting and specialized one.

Some Veteran feats were added in Expedition, and of course TM got its own related feats when it was added, but four of those veteran feats are identical glass cannon cooldown bursts. Oh but hey you can only pick one from a single school, see you have to specialize, it's way better now! Are you serious, dude? That cooldown burst and the X-Men goggles are your evidence in defense of the new system? Fuck off, seriously. I'm actually mad because I believed you, and pulled up the entire list of psi feats to see what there was to see.

So yeah, it's a bunch of nerfs and limitations, and precious little else. Yeah but you can have a wizard staff now and a special hat and you can only take one of the generic cooldown bursts, IT'S SO MUCH BETTER with the wizard staves and mana vapes! It is! God damn it, I hate the psi nerf even more than before now. That's what I get for allowing myself to be tricked into actually believing the psi nerf might not be so bad.

thesecret1

Arcane

I went through all of it and there's just shit inside. Probably the worst random dungeon I've seen yet, content-wise. If you really want to go through it, my advice is to get yourself a blast suit in foundry and just ignore the stupid gimmick there. But you won't find anything other than generic loot anyway

thesecret1

Arcane
What's the tactic against goliath swarms (playing a shotgunner)? I got two rnadom dungeons with them – in one, they're all hidden in fucking mist, but can see me, and there's no cover or even corners to hide behind, so I'm basically target practice. In the other, there's like twelve of them or some shit getting aggro'd at once.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's the tactic against goliath swarms (playing a shotgunner)? I got two rnadom dungeons with them – in one, they're all hidden in fucking mist, but can see me, and there's no cover or even corners to hide behind, so I'm basically target practice. In the other, there's like twelve of them or some shit getting aggro'd at once.
You need to find some way to CC them. Whether that's through high tier moltovs, flashbangs, or whatever else you have at your disposal. Alternatively, you can use stealth to silently eliminate them one by one/loud noises to lure some away from the rest and then eliminate them that way. Outside of that, good luck. Even as a tank build, the larger swarms can pack quite a punch.

thesecret1

Arcane
You need to find some way to CC them. Whether that's through high tier moltovs, flashbangs, or whatever else you have at your disposal. Alternatively, you can use stealth to silently eliminate them one by one/loud noises to lure some away from the rest and then eliminate them that way. Outside of that, good luck. Even as a tank build, the larger swarms can pack quite a punch.
Yeah, I'm playing heavy, so no stealth at all. Gonna have to rely on molotovs in addition to gas grenades to try and stem the tide. Will probably work with the big swarm dungeon. Don't think it'll be enough for the mist one though – I have nowhere to hide and they have a much larger range than I do. And the moment they start spamming bilocation, I'm done for – I can't even harm the doppelgangers as non-psi, and they dish out stupid large damage.

12 perception to make it much easier, but no way to skip it. With 12 the game tells you the sequence needed in the form of numbers, so you just need to find out what button corresponds to what number and it's very easy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
My favorite thing about Goliaths is that they're essentially unaffected by the psi nerf themselves, since they have a gigantic psi pool, incredible psi regeneration, utilize all three schools at no psi cost penalty, and have access to nine total abilities when grouped—though to be fair, they do have really big brains.

Parabalus

Arcane
The new Lost Vault - can't seem to explore everything, is it really gated behind attribute checks?

For the western bank, I'd need 11 STR to push debris, or 11 AGI to jump a gap. Guessing there's also a PER check.

I can make the AGI check with more food but this seems very weird.

The new Lost Vault - can't seem to explore everything, is it really gated behind attribute checks?

For the western bank, I'd need 11 STR to push debris, or 11 AGI to jump a gap. Guessing there's also a PER check.

That is how it works, yeah. The important stuff is all accessible without any attribute checks though.
Also anyone can pass the strength check if they stack enough bonuses. Dexterty/agility checks might be impossible depending on character but all you miss is more loot.

Parabalus

Arcane
I did Phreak's first quest (Acid Hunters), now on the music puzzle - is it safe to do an Oligarch questline now? Was it safe earlier - just don't go to the Coretech Lab before finding Phreak?

That is how it works, yeah. The important stuff is all accessible without any attribute checks though.
Also anyone can pass the strength check if they stack enough bonuses. Dexterty/agility checks might be impossible depending on character but all you miss is more loot.

Thanks, seemed like a too big part of the map to be just random loot. Still early so I didn't have the various boosting items yet.

Why is the SS refining data under 'Plot' in the inventory, but the gun manual isn't?

Parabalus

Arcane
12 perception to make it much easier, but no way to skip it. With 12 the game tells you the sequence needed in the form of numbers, so you just need to find out what button corresponds to what number and it's very easy.

The sound each button makes is static right?

And the sequence resets every time you leave the menu or make a mistake?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

and every phone booth got different try out buttons locked.
Basically make some notes on how locked try out buttons sounds and do the sequence using try outs.
You will hate yourself and have bad dreams that night. Good luck

Parabalus

Arcane

Basically make some notes on how locked try out buttons sounds and do the sequence using try outs.

Locked try out buttons?

They all seem to work on the phone next to Lunatic Mall. Are you saying some of the buttons sounds are fake?

I recorded the sounds, seemed better than making notes.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Locked try out buttons?

They all seem to work on the phone next to Lunatic Mall. Are you saying some of the buttons sounds are fake?

after you plug gizmo in and listen to sequence, there is option to try out buttons in 'dry' way

Parabalus

Arcane

Locked try out buttons?

after you plug gizmo in and listen to sequence, there is option to try out buttons in 'dry' way

But they're the same sounds you hear when solving the sequence, just that when you're solving it all of the buttons work?

So some of the dry buttons not working is just pure troll.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Styg , you absolutly insane, beautiful motherfucker.

Someone solved the fucking charms - it is in 4chan thread on /vrpg/ which I won't link out of respect to Styg.

To quote myself during talk with my bro over this (he did this shit):

So, let me get this straight.

Styx made a fucking two NPCs, only one of which appears in your game by random hex chance, locking out the other. One offers tattoos which are pretty straight and offer bonuses which you can easily get and in general are cool. The second one is fucking gypsy which offers a charm you pick, three of which are phony, with entire obscure secret mechanic system wrote just for this to put in gypsy magic, based on on belief and niceness to gypsy modifiers with random chance of activation at random times, basically unknown use to anyone who didn't read the thread and it still would be unknown if some random anon didn't drop a hex value to activate the test mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom