Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Sykar

Arcane
I just saw that you can "activate" the charm. For 5 AP... I guess we at least hear a kiss from Styg. Wonder what he kissed when he recorded this.
:happytrollboy:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I believe one can get cyclop glasses from blaine too, as I saw other unique googles on him. And yes, after countless reloads, in my case to obtain 100q tichrome, q100 tungsteen and q90 wings for that amazing depot run

Sykar

Arcane
meta vs coil spiders is kind of ass
In my experience it's the exact opposite. MT gives you wide range of straight damage, AoE and CC abilities, and unlike PK you're not gimped by spooders' natural electric immunity.

Implosion+Recurrence takes care of everything. No reason not to go 70 TM at least even on PK.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All-In was nerfed, as I recently discovered (though I personally never once used it for +3 INT), and I can also confirm that the once-vaunted source of All-In is no more. It has been removed from the inventory of the relevant NPC during Drag 'n' Drop's gambling tableau—and perhaps all pickpocketable drinks have been randomized, because I have a vague feeling that the special drinks contents of patron pockets aren't the same as they once were.

You now have to purchase All-In on gambling night, no freebie. This means that Pickpocket is 100% skippable again! Not that it ever wasn't, but a (very occasional; gambling night was already rare) free All-In was a big draw for many people. More Oddity XP was another big draw, and that's partly why I never play Oddity anymore, although I always used to—Oddity encourages significant meta-gaming throughout the game, including farming harmless critters, killing certain characters solely for their Oddity, taking just enough of certain skills (particularly Subterfuge) to scrounge Oddities, and much more, rather than Oddity simply rewarding exploration and discouraging farming for Classic XP (which I never did anyway).

Frankly, Classic XP works as it should, because you progress through the game without thinking about experience points all the time and having to micromanage the collection of a bunch of rubbish. I do like to collect Oddities just to collect them and read the description, but that's about all.

There are a couple of other sources of All-In beyond pickpocketing and paying, but they're about as limited as Supersoldier Drug. Most of your All-Ins will now be purchased. Pickpocketing is again relegated to gaining basic ammo and medications in the early to mid game, and as a "side hustle" to sometimes unlock containers, doors, or consoles with Lockpicking/Hacking which is certainly a help, but you can do without and then have dozens of skill points left to spend elsewhere. At this point I'd much rather have Persuasion or Intimidation.

Zeem

Learned
meta vs coil spiders is kind of ass
In my experience it's the exact opposite. MT gives you wide range of straight damage, AoE and CC abilities, and unlike PK you're not gimped by spooders' natural electric immunity.

Implosion+Recurrence takes care of everything. No reason not to go 70 TM at least even on PK.
Implosion has a 5 turn cooldown and 5 tile range. It's good on a single target with lots of HP, but coil spooders are never alone. Plus having to rely on another school in the first place kinda invalidates the whole point of PK not being fucked over by spooder's electric immunity.

Sykar

Arcane
You can increase the range of PK abilities by 2 and Premed increases the range further. All schools have the immunity problem except TM but CR has other problems so there is no school that isn't reliant on either grenades or another school. Pointless complaint.

All-In was nerfed, as I recently discovered (though I personally never once used it for +3 INT), and I can also confirm that the once-vaunted source of All-In is no more. It has been removed from the inventory of the relevant NPC during Drag 'n' Drop's gambling tableau—and perhaps all pickpocketable drinks have been randomized, because I have a vague feeling that the special drinks contents of patron pockets aren't the same as they once were.
It's still fixed. NPCs randomly consume food now so it's possible he'll drink it before you can steal it from him though. If you really want it you can save before going downstairs and reload until he doesn't drink it so you can steal it. And if you really want the opportunity to steal it then you can save before you enter the zone with the Drag N Drop, since the game only picks which people spawn there when you enter the area. Though that is slightly exploitive.

Zeem

Learned
You can increase the range of PK abilities by 2 and Premed increases the range further. All schools have the immunity problem except TM but CR has other problems so there is no school that isn't reliant on either grenades or another school. Pointless complaint.
My point was explicitly about the effectiveness of MT versus coil spiders compared to other psi schools. On my tri-school psychosis psigger I have found that MT even without any feat investment is the best tool against them due to its versatile abilities, powerful crits and bugs being both perfectly flammable and freeze-able.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Spark Mandriller Okay, I can't even be mad about that. Surely drinks and food regenerate over time even in standard zones, since NPCs in oft-visited areas are still gulping and chomping dozens of hours into the game?

Meanwhile, ladies and gentlemen, skittles and transvestites, persons of indeterminate and ever-shifting whatever, MA'AMs and top female athletes who also happen to have penises, it's my extreme pleasure to announce that, thanks to settled SCIENCE!, we...

...still can't detect Black Crawlers before they deploy their various cheats, because they'll inevitably be jammed around a corner in a cramped room, standing behind a stalagmite, or what-have-you. But if they weren't, then by God, we'd have at least a coin-flip's chance of detecting them!

eureka_we_still_havent_done_it.png

:shredder:

Parabalus

Arcane
Weird on my newest maybe full maybe not playthrough I got to the Occulus and for some reason, Six is nowhere to be found. That is new. Was he moved?

Cube needs to be in Core City for him to be there, if you rush Oculus you have to wait to progress the MQ.

It's still fixed. NPCs randomly consume food now so it's possible he'll drink it before you can steal it from him though. If you really want it you can save before going downstairs and reload until he doesn't drink it so you can steal it. And if you really want the opportunity to steal it then you can save before you enter the zone with the Drag N Drop, since the game only picks which people spawn there when you enter the area. Though that is slightly exploitive.

I can confirm I pickpocketed it as usual.

Not surprised Styg did this, after the 'buff' that you can get earlier access via Camp Harthor he just has to counterbalance it.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This problem has been around for years, and is still unaddressed. I rediscovered it because I wanted to create an anti-Serpentborn (-crossbow) emitter. All components are exactly q154, no Power Management feat.

As you can see, with the Circular Wave Amplifier slotted in, the emitter doesn't even have enough capacity to actually absorb the entire listed value of its Low-impact shielding before running out of energy, let alone higher-impact hits. The default capacity is reduced by 80% (from 625 to 125) to due to -4.0 conversion rate, and the default shielding is increased by 55% across the board.

Essentially, this combination is too bad to even contemplate using for any purpose. A Converter of similar quality would ramp the shielding capacity up to 1500, while a Capacitor of similar quality would allow you to walk around with an active shield for 3.3x longer (1.5% dissipation per turn). Both of these parts offer pure benefit with no downside.

One solution, in my view, would be to halve the increased shielding granted by Amplifiers (say to +30% shielding at max quality, rather than +60% as it is now), and remove the absurd downside entirely. Thus, you could choose between an efficient always-on shield, a high-capacity shield, or a fortified shield, rather than this current mess.

Also, quite honestly, the capacity gain from Converters should be reduced. At top quality, they increase capacity by +150%. As much as I love my 2k+ capacity shields when playing Power Management builds, that's a little insane.

250520_20220405131417_1.png
250520_20220405132333_1.png

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So I heard this bug was fixed, for the better or worse. Can you solve the Rig peacefully via TNT charges at least? I stealthed all the way through without any charges and had to fight them in the end.

3EB893E4B9DEEB8636F864C6DD6A3E8E9C7E235D

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Can you solve the Rig peacefully via TNT charges at least? I stealthed all the way through without any charges and had to fight them in the end.
Yes, as long as your blast doesn't hit anyone. You can do every pirate quest without turning Eels hostile.
you can also use explosives to get guard away and sabotage sonar with electronics check. Or hacking? One of those

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You can sabotage the sonar with a single stick of TNT if you have very high Stealth and a cloaking device.

I don't remember if you can perform the sabotage skill check without leaving stealth.

You all better be careful talking about how you use TNT for literally everything in this game. You may regret it. HE does read this thread from time to time.

Zeem

Learned
You can sabotage the sonar with a single stick of TNT if you have very high Stealth and a cloaking device.

I don't remember if you can perform the sabotage skill check without leaving stealth.

You all better be careful talking about how you use TNT for literally everything in this game. You may regret it. HE does read this thread from time to time.
You don't need that much base stealth, actually. I remember having <120 effective stealth plus some high quality stealth gear (infused hopper black overcoat, black tabis and balaclava, cloaking device) giving me ~150 on top of that when I blew up the sonar without triggering hostilities.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yeah I did it comfortably with 3 AGI, 112 base skill, and good gear. Just a shame that placing TNT is stealthy but using laptop is not :mad:

Now 2nd pirate mission on the other hand, easily the most reloads of any fight in the game, plus had to zone transition abuse for the first time in that run (dominating, psiless chem pistolier). Bought the Devastator just for that fight.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In all seriousness though, using TNT to make all the NPCs run into an explode-able crowd on one side of the room is pretty exploit-y if abused on the regular.

I ought to know, because I do something similar by allowing myself to be seen by cameras in Expedition—yet another of many situations wherein Trap Expert and Interloper come in very, very handy. I'm able to place three or four mines and then scoot out of the blast radius before the crowd of investigating enemies even arrives at my presumed position.

It's not quite as much fun as the Dominator's approach of carrying 30+ bear traps, 20+ magnesium grenades, three bags of Crawler caltrops, and 5-10 TNT everywhere due to his mastery of the game mechanics that allows him to develop highly nuanced and subtle tactics and strategies, but it's pretty satisfying.

(Of course, due to Expedition's HP bloat, not even a paired Plasma Mk III and HE Mk V mine exploding in tandem can completely kill Handmaidens or Strongmen on Hard. You need at least three of those fuckers piled together. Kind of annoying, but a few traps here and there are still useful enough, because the robots are numerous enough that I can't OHKO all of them with just the sniper rifle's cooldowns, Ambush, etc.; some will need to be finished off without guaranteed crits in the most crowded rooms.)

Just a shame that placing TNT is stealthy but using laptop is not :mad:

Maybe it's a laptop with mechanical key switches. :troll:

Actually, I've been thinking about this sort of thing a lot lately. I didn't used to give it much thought, but things you can do from stealth vs. things you cannot don't always make a damned bit of sense.

Take elevators, for example. If I can crack a safe without breaking stealth, there is no conceivable reason I can't touch a damn call button stealthily.

Parabalus

Arcane
Actually, I've been thinking about this sort of thing a lot lately. I didn't used to give it much thought, but things you can do from stealth vs. things you cannot don't always make a damned bit of sense.

Take elevators, for example. If I can crack a safe without breaking stealth, there is no conceivable reason I can't touch a damn call button stealthily.

Is there any dialogue which doesn't break stealth?

Sounds like a case of laziness.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Is there any dialogue which doesn't break stealth?

Sounds like a case of laziness.
indeed it is the case. There are still some old school agi checks that break stealth too

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Found an old screenshot of mine from 2016 showing two things that we've lost: the immersive font, and unfettered psi.

Oh yeah, and this must have been from before siphoner tabi were nerfed. :lol:

250520_2016-01-02_00002.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Supersoldier confirmed craftable and renewable prior to DC, but the appearance rate of Prednisone Solution here is extremely low, almost certainly <10%. I've visited Vuk a couple dozen times, I'd estimate, and this is the first time I've seen it.

250520_20220407194725_1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom