Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how does sure step specialization work. Is bear trap triggered or do you jump over it so to speak?

I need some input. Indeed im thinking about unprojector spear throw, paired with punching. And Im wondering about unspeakable - taking the pill and getting some monk action.
Something like this https://underrail.info/build/?EAsMBwMDAwUAWgBaKABaWjw8PAAAAAAAAFoAAAAAACtPacKVIBMSPAfChRbfvw
No temp manipulation, I might have fallen low but still got some standards.
Not maxed dexterity is notable weakness - lower throwing meaning lower accuracy on character that cant have night vision.
Its funny how I can properly utilize hand for punching after doing the throw

What I do wonder is how monk compares to max dex fist? Something like this I guess https://underrail.info/build/?EAkOBwMDAwUAWgBaKABaWjw8PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAE9hwpUgExI8B8KFFt-_
where I can just grab claw or something and keep my no cave wizardry superiority

Any puzzle lover out there! I need a hand with the mutagen puzzle. I tried a few times got close but no cigar. The shame!!
Helicon-2, Io-3, Helicon-1, Ovid-3, Io-1, Solis-1
Maybe I'm too late and you did it already or just killed the boss without it, but hey.
how does sure step specialization work. Is bear trap triggered or do you jump over it so to speak?
It disarms them. Guess it'd be too strong if you could set up a trap wall and then jump over it.

.Pixote.

Augur
I finally solved the bloody mutagen puzzle - Helicon-2, Io-3, Io-1, Ovid-3, Echo-1, Helicon-1, Io-2, Ovid-3, Io-1, Echo-1, Solis-1 - did I say I hate these puzzles, because I'm crap at logic.

:negative:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finally solved the bloody mutagen puzzle - Helicon-2, Io-3, Io-1, Ovid-3, Echo-1, Helicon-1, Io-2, Ovid-3, Io-1, Echo-1, Solis-1 - did I say I hate these puzzles, because I'm crap at logic.

:negative:
I did Phreak's puzzles no problem, but both the Mutagen and the Music puzzle require far too much brainpower, and that's assuming I could even manage to figure them out eventually. Props to you.

CHEMS

Scholar
advanced catalyzing belt
ahh, its effect is stronger than I remembered

btw, do cryo pistols make cryo grenade usable?
Never bothered to try cryo grenades. Just the damage alone from the cryo pistols is enough, and mid late games on already have a great chance to proc a freeze.

So it turns out that your house can get burgled. I guess that's why there's a home defense option.
It's a new thing, and the first thing it happened i lost the fucking initiative roll and got killed, losing hours of gameplay because i didn't save. Thanks, styg.

Mutagen and the Music puzzle
I've never ever did the mutagen puzzle. Music i've always used that online solver. Phreak's was a fun puzzle though, even with low PER.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Didn't you have an autosave? Usually you get one when you enter a new area.

So I'm about to enter the Deep Caverns. I wanted to upgrade the Syg MPX I found but I couldn't find a Steel Cat 125, so I just gave up and made an Q148 Impala with 7.62 rounds. I had to take a bunch of 7.62 ammo but it's fine, I like having a variety of ammo types and weapons. I wanted to try those shrapnel rounds anyway. I don't like the steel cat that much anyway, so making a 8.6 version to go with my reaper was out of the question. Sure it has a nice crit modifier, but the damage spread is terrible and it has a low crit chance. I'd rather just take the impala and burst all game with stacks of bleed.

I was really tempted to use the Vathosphore armour because it has great stats and a cool ability, but it reduces your perception and has a shooty boi that doesn't seem like a good idea, so I just settled with a super steel bio riot armour with a black cloak. Also infused rathound coat because why not.
Is the Vathosphore meant to be for melee and versatility builds? Like, if I went strength versatility and took assault rifles, would it work?

What is even with the Tchortist naming convention? Are these all words derived from Serbian or something?
Tchort is obviously dervied from Chort of Slavic myth, but what about rassophore, pirosphore, etc?

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Where am I supposed to go in Arke station? I have the utility keycard from that coil spider and crawler infested basement, but I can't find the door it goes to. The shutters are still closed and robots keep spawning. Also what do recharge pads do?

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Where am I supposed to go in Arke station? I have the utility keycard from that coil spider and crawler infested basement, but I can't find the door it goes to. The shutters are still closed and robots keep spawning. Also what do recharge pads do?
Alright I'll break it down since it is a bit complicated/convoluted. Upon finding the third keycard which is what allows you to open the room that has the ladder leading down to the basement, you need to head towards the center of the basement which allows you to find the Utility Key. You use that to go into the southwestern room towards the bottom of the basement, where you find the Utility Storage Keycard, which you then use to get into the southeastern room, again at the bottom of the basement where you can find the Utility Keycard. Assuming that is the keycard you have, you need to head towards the main hall, which is accessed by the southwestern room. From there I'm sure you'll be able to figure things out.

EDIT: You can use a key that you find to turn of the recharge pads. They recharge the robots shields. Don't even bother with the trouble, unless you're having a really hard time fighting them, just try to hurry and deal with the AI itself.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I already found the door the key belonged to. It was a door that had yet another death stalker behind it.
It's fine though, I just cleared that apartment complex and the warehouses, now I have to do hollow earth.
Deep Cavern isn't as hard as I thought. I was expecting Death Stalker central, but right now I only found one near Leo and like 4 in the Arke Station basement. The hardest part is trying to figure out what the hell to do and where to go.

I can see why people had problems with it; if you ever pissed off the Faceless you're going to have a hard time, because those Gaunts are sneaky and you need to go through faceless areas.

Also, I found the F2000 and I really liked how it only had a strength value of 4. That means my S5 character can use it and its pretty badass. It doesn't have the -100% AP burst fire reduction but it does have a lot of shots when you burst fire it so I think it balances out.
Too bad they give it to you right at the end of the game so you can't really refurbish it.

Do Death Stalkers ever respawn? They don't seem to on Normal at least.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ok, I can see why people hate Deep Caverns.
It's not that it's hard. On it's own its actually a pretty cool area with strong Stalker vibes.

The problem is that it's fucking tedious and you're stuck there. You're basically stuck doing a glorified fetch quest, you have no idea where anything is and if you piss off the Faceless you're fucked because they're everywhere.
Also, the mutagen puzzle is incredibly poorly designed and convoluted, and you have to scan each regeant individually in an area with Dread where each sequence is something like 10 characters.

It's probably the weakest part of the game, and the fact it's at the end of the game and you're not allowed to properly use whatever cool gear or oddities you find is just insulting. They should have allowed you to go there early so you have more of an idea what's going on, but unlock parts of it as you progress through the game and understand what you're fighting. You know, actually make it feel like a build up instead of kicking you into a hole and say "you're stuck here until you find out how to kill an entity who we barely mentioned all game and who didn't actually threaten anyone. Have fun!"

Instead of the Faceless invasion it should have been a tchortling invasion. It feels like they had two different ideas going on but couldn't work out how to organically implement meant, so they just mashed them together and hope no-one notices.

Parabalus

Arcane
Ok, I can see why people hate Deep Caverns.
It's not that it's hard. On it's own its actually a pretty cool area with strong Stalker vibes.

The problem is that it's fucking tedious and you're stuck there. You're basically stuck doing a glorified fetch quest, you have no idea where anything is and if you piss off the Faceless you're fucked because they're everywhere.
Also, the mutagen puzzle is incredibly poorly designed and convoluted, and you have to scan each regeant individually in an area with Dread where each sequence is something like 10 characters.

It's probably the weakest part of the game, and the fact it's at the end of the game and you're not allowed to properly use whatever cool gear or oddities you find is just insulting. They should have allowed you to go there early so you have more of an idea what's going on, but unlock parts of it as you progress through the game and understand what you're fighting. You know, actually make it feel like a build up instead of kicking you into a hole and say "you're stuck here until you find out how to kill an entity who we barely mentioned all game and who didn't actually threaten anyone. Have fun!"

Instead of the Faceless invasion it should have been a tchortling invasion. It feels like they had two different ideas going on but couldn't work out how to organically implement meant, so they just mashed them together and hope no-one notices.

It used to be much worse, all monsters would respawn on each area reload/exit.

Total brain rot.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Turns out I didn't need the Mutagens after all.
I killed Tchort after like 4 rounds.
Sniped him with the Black Arrow (even though I didn't have enough strength it was still a 76% chance to hit, missed him with a Aimed Shot BA, then finished him off with a couple of hits from the 8.6 reaper I made.
Tentacles couldn't do shit to my double low shield. This was on normal, mind you. I dunno how my build would go on hard.

Sucks how the game ended on a cliff hanger though. Is there going to be a sequel or DLC where you hunt
Tanner
?

CHEMS

Scholar
Turns out I didn't need the Mutagens after all.
I killed Tchort after like 4 rounds.
Sniped him with the Black Arrow (even though I didn't have enough strength it was still a 76% chance to hit, missed him with a Aimed Shot BA, then finished him off with a couple of hits from the 8.6 reaper I made.
Tentacles couldn't do shit to my double low shield. This was on normal, mind you. I dunno how my build would go on hard.

Sucks how the game ended on a cliff hanger though. Is there going to be a sequel or DLC where you hunt
Tanner
?
Underrail Infusion is being developed right as we speak, most likely set in North Underrail where we'll see what happens about him

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, but it's standalone, right? So not really a continuation of your character's journey.
I kind of hope there's an export character option where you can port over your character and his gear. It would give a reason to use that stuff you find in Deep Caverns at least.
Seriously, what's the point of giving the player the option to upgrade a gun if there's nothing left to shoot it with? What am I supposed to do, bully rathounds with a barrett?

CHEMS

Scholar
I kind of hope there's an export character option where you can port over your character and his gear. It would give a reason to use that stuff you find in Deep Caverns at least.
Me too, but that'd make the game too easy exporting your OP character

I don't think we'll be playing the first game's char, but who knows what styg's cooking up, let's wait and see...

Tigranes

Arcane
Chem pistols are super strong - whether with the XAL tailored build, or just using standard chem pistols. Add fire + pyromaniac for fun but not necessary. The cooked shot webbing effect is just far too reliable & you do oodles of unresisted damage to everyone.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Not necessarily. If they match the NPC's level to your character's level when he's exported and scale up from there it should be more of an balanced fight.
Maybe throw in a bunch of extra encounters. Kind of like a parallel difficulty setting for "veterans", I guess, where you have your standard difficulty settings, but there's another layer of difficulty added on if you're using a "veteran" character.
Of course, that shouldn't be the case for everything. Rat hounds should remain weak because they are meant to be trash mobs. But human enemies? They definitely should receive a level and equipment upgrade if you're bringing in an old character.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I agree with a lot of what you said in your original post, but I disagree with this heavily. There is a lot of setup to the Faceless invasion, and considering the fact that you can meet with the Faceless before the attack, and you can meet with both them and the remnants of the Tchortists in the Deep Caverns illustrates this. Quick question, did you go down Abram's quest line?

I think if the respawns were limited towards the zones leading towards Tchort, or they were heavily reduced along with the stacks of dread, so you could explore some of the center zones including the one where you have to figure out the mutagen, it would feel less oppressive. Of course, on a second playthrough, DC is even more enjoyable since you already know where things are and can just enjoy the ambience and return to explore the rest of the caverns after Tchort is dead.

CHEMS

Scholar
Not necessarily. If they match the NPC's level to your character's level when he's exported and scale up from there it should be more of an balanced fight.
Maybe throw in a bunch of extra encounters. Kind of like a parallel difficulty setting for "veterans", I guess, where you have your standard difficulty settings, but there's another layer of difficulty added on if you're using a "veteran" character.
Of course, that shouldn't be the case for everything. Rat hounds should remain weak because they are meant to be trash mobs. But human enemies? They definitely should receive a level and equipment upgrade if you're bringing in an old character.
Well one of the devs did say they'll be working on custom difficulties...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I agree with a lot of what you said in your original post, but I disagree with this heavily. There is a lot of setup to the Faceless invasion, and considering the fact that you can meet with the Faceless before the attack, and you can meet with both them and the remnants of the Tchortists in the Deep Caverns illustrates this. Quick question, did you go down Abram's quest line?

I think if the respawns were limited towards the zones leading towards Tchort, or they were heavily reduced along with the stacks of dread, so you could explore some of the center zones including the one where you have to figure out the mutagen, it would feel less oppressive. Of course, on a second playthrough, DC is even more enjoyable since you already know where things are and can just enjoy the ambience and return to explore the rest of the caverns after Tchort is dead.
Yeah, I joined Oculus, and I've been cooperating with the Faceless the whole time. It's just that if one didn't cooperate with the Faceless then DC would be disproportionately harder, and as a big boss or threat Tchort kind of comes out of nowhere.
I mean, does he or his minions ever show up elsewhere? You do find out about him from the cultists, but there's no indication that you actually have to fight the bastard. If anything there's more foreshadowing that you'll end up fighting the cult, which never happens because the game is designed around the infiltration path unless you go full retard and blow your cover.

When I encountered the Institute they reminded me a lot of the Children of the Cathedral from Fallout. They are both a cult promising advances to human evolution, they both have sinister overtones and are instrumental to the main plot. In both cases you're expected to infiltrate them, although I feel Fallout handles the more direct approach better.
The difference though is that in Fallout the Children of the Cathedral are a directly antagonistic force; they are responsible for the super mutant invasion that threats your vault. Whereas in Underrail the Institute kind of...aren't? I mean yeah they stole the cube from Coretech but they aren't the ones behind the Faceless invasion, they're just opportunists after the cube for...reasons.
It's why I think there should have been a Tchortling invasion triggered by the theft of the Cube by the Institute, to make him more of an actual threat you have to deal with.
Like, it starts off with a Faceless incursion as they start tearing apart the rails looking for that cube, and then Tchortlings start to spawn as Tchort's influence begins to grow due to the cube.

I also think there should have been an Institute ending where you actually go full Tchortist and help Eidein, and on a flip side an option to join in the faceless assault on the institute as another way of accessing the elevator.
I also found it kind of funny how you're warned by the Faceless to leave the Institute when they show up to invade it, and you can just leave, come back after two hours, and pick up where the invasion leaves off. You can even tell Eidein to wait when he asks you to join him in the Institute basement.
It would be have been interesting to return to the Institute in ruins and get to Deep Caverns that way.
The path to Deep Caverns just feels kind of forced and limited to me, and the fact it's a one way trip doesn't help matters.

Actually, the worse part of the mutagen puzzle is that the scanner is several zones away from the combinator. It just adds to the tedium. They should have been right next to each other. It doesn't even make sense world building wise that the researchers would have the scanning equipment and mixing equipment so far apart from each other, because that's just inefficient. It's why I just gave up on the puzzle and just shot Tchort to death.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if I wanted to go versatility smg build, basically full brrrrrrrr, do I care about commando? 30 guns investment over commando, happens only once. Unless I must look at 3 spec points resulting in 9 extra AP, which is almost 2 bursts with uzi.

Im fairly certain someone did spec ops + expertise in here

I keep thinking what to do besides throwing spears with unprojector. Basically just 2 feats are locked in: throwing and expertise. Leaving me with too many options. Fists do benefit from unprojector, while smgs like expertise..
Pistols seem meh without crits, acid ones dont benefit from both googles and expertise, rest are crit focused: lazors, throwing knives and daggers

fists do have some synergies with throwing spears(like setting up bigger damage, filling movement bar), while for smgs is more like having separate snipe attack that conserves ammo

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, commando is great especially when paired with the cheaper burst fire from Spec Ops. You can really spam SMG fire and clear chaff with it.
If you soften up enemies with grenades you can burst down one, get a free burst and continuing firing with your cheaper bursts.
It's especially good against burrowers because your bursts can easily get the spawn meaning you can just gun down the larger breeds of burrower.

I used it with my sniper build and it was pretty fun, although I suspect it might have been more optimal to just use pistols with that burst fire feat as a close ranged complement to the sniper rifle and not take commando / spec ops.

Is it possible to make a Senator Armstrong build? By that I basically mean a heal-tank that just punches everything to death and regenerates health.
I'm assuming it involves a regen vest, really high con and dex for those unarmed feats, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom