Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrated / Overrated Consoles

Overrated: N64

Seriously, wtf is with this this, why is it gloirified? Comparing this crap to Saturn is a joke. No jrpgs, almost no fighting games, almost no 2D games, strongest point of N64 are... ports of PC shooters like Duke 64, Quake 64, Quake 2, Hexen 64 and its best ex is fuckin Doom 64, best Doom after first two. Huuuge decline after SNES and inferior to Wii / Gamecube / maybe even to WiU.

Underrated:

Jaguar / 3DO

Both waaaay ahead of its time, some of the famous franchises had it origins of this consoles and then were ported to another platforms (Rayman, Need For Speed, Space Hulk : VOTBA, Return Fire), there are lots of good PC games on them (Doom, Wing Commander 3, Alone in the Dark, Myst), some ports are best of all available ones (Tempest 2000, Rayman, Wolf 3D remake with new sprites and fukken rocket launcher) + nice arcade ports (SSF2T with best OST evar, Samurai Showdown, Primal Rage) there're also a few excellent exclusive games like Battlesphere, Attack of the Mutant Penguins (excellent AVGN review on 2:40, a must!) ...

... and even rpgs that should focus codex attension like Towers 2 (Jag) or Slayer (3DO) plus Jaguar has da sexiest console design evar.

And your typez?

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
N64 is overrated for sure, absolutely abysmal selection of games. It's a pretty trite point to make, but worth making anyway - the controller is complete suicide-inducing bullshit, the only remotely logical use for something that shape is as a sex toy, not a controller.

Dreamcast is underrated, even with the nostalgia-laden affection people direct towards it these days. Impressive graphical capabilities, badass screen with emoji face on the controller, Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, what more could anyone ask for.

Virtua fucking Tennis!!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The N64 was good for 3D platformers and some co-op play with Smash or Mario Party. It was alright for kids, but now in hindsight there isn't much going for it aside from Nintendo's offerings.

I personally think the terms overrated/underrated is a bit superficial, since there's no way to quantify that without some sort of retarded polling, but I do think that the Genesis gets overlooked sometimes when it comes to their cult hits. Monster World, Vay, Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, etc.

Beastro

Arcane
Heavy bias going on in this thread when N64 is damned and Jaguar praised when they're about the closest consoles when it comes to their faults, right down to their giant controllers.

At least N64s was ergonomic.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well I've never even seen a Jaguar in real life, hard to comment about it.

Only had a Genesis and a PSX in my life; but through emulation, it seems to me that the best consoles ever were the SNES, the Dreamcast and the PS2.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
PSP - lot of people yapping "PSP haz no games" (parroting "PS3haz no games" memo) but it got massive amount of turn based titles, while on PC they were scarce. Still remember when I got my first kickstarted title (Wasteland2) and returned to PSP library of turn-based games after 5h of experiencing this shit...

almondblight

Arcane
N64 was great for multiplayer games - Conker's Bad Fur Day, Pokemon Stadium, Perfect Dark, Mario Party, Mario Kart, DK 64, Smash Bros., etc.

tormund

Arcane
I guess that issue with N64 is that many of its game would be fun back then, but looking and them from today's POV, from someone who is mainly a PC gamer, they don't look all that different from standard mainstream western gaming repertoire. First person shooters, 3D platformers/action adventure games, racing games and so on...
PSX offers more games that might appear appealing, different, unusual to a current day PC gamer. And of course there is no contest between two consoles where weaboo crowd is concerned.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
N64 is overrated for sure, absolutely abysmal selection of games. It's a pretty trite point to make, but worth making anyway - the controller is complete suicide-inducing bullshit, the only remotely logical use for something that shape is as a sex toy, not a controller.

Dreamcast is underrated, even with the nostalgia-laden affection people direct towards it these days. Impressive graphical capabilities, badass screen with emoji face on the controller, Chu Chu Rocket, Shenmue, what more could anyone ask for.

Virtua fucking Tennis!!
Dreamcast is/was definitely underrated.

Plus, you can easily not remove from inventory without extra any tools. Just a CD writer.

Arcks

Educated
PSP - lot of people yapping "PSP haz no games" (parroting "PS3haz no games" memo) but it got massive amount of turn based titles, while on PC they were scarce. Still remember when I got my first kickstarted title (Wasteland2) and returned to PSP library of turn-based games after 5h of experiencing this shit...

I personally found the PSP pretty overrated in some circles. People hype the incredible amount of great games on the console, but most are pretty... meh. Loads of tactical rpgs (Most of which were either ports, "enhanced" ports or just plain mediocre), JRPGS (Pretty much just ports or awful spinoffs... again.), kinda cool-but-actually-terrible spinoffs like GTA games and MGS games. And subpar sequels to good games, like VC2/VC3. It's pretty good as emulation device, but I kinda stopped caring about 5th gen and previous emulation decade ago.

I personally think the Genesis/Megadrive was underrated, especially by people who don't know much about sound chips or FM synth. That console produced some of the best videogame music ever, it had a gritty quality that was unmatched by other synth methods.

Keldryn

Arcane
I have to agree about the N64 being overrated. I frequently hear people talking about how it had many of the best games if all time. I preordered Ocarina of Time and then bought a console when I went to pick up the game. Never bought another game for it. Rented or borrowed quite a few though.

Still think the PlayStation was somewhat overrated too. Shitty controller that kept the same design for nearly 20 years. Extremely slow CD-ROM. Terrible 3D graphics. Lots of games but not that many truly great ones.

As for underrated consoles: Nintendo GameCube and Wii U.

GameCube had a controller way more comfortable than the PS2. Zelda: The Wind Waker, Pikmin 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Super Smash Bros Melee, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Eternal Darkness...

Annoys me to no end when people talk about how the GC lost that generation while acting like the Xbox was successful. When the PS2 sold over 100 million units, the Xbox selling 24 million as opposed to the GameCube's 22 million is barely a significantly difference.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I don't know about underrated, but the 360 is definitely the most overrated by the average fucker.

RuySan

Augur
Definitely the n64 gets my vote as an overrated console with its small collection of horrible looking overrated games.

On the other hand I'll vote for the Amiga cd32 in the underrated category. Just because it's an easy way to play classic Amiga games on the big screen, and I'll take that over mario and Zelda any day.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I think the dreamcast was amazing for its time, the controlled with detachable lcd, the incorporated modem, such a shame it never got any noticeable market.

Best console for me, in terms of how it revolutionized gaming, was the NES, my parents bought me one at launch, and it blew my mind as a kid, the diversity in games, genres, gameplay in such low powered hardware, plus it was fucking indestructible.

RuySan

Augur
The Sega master system is criminally underrated. The games are so beautifully colored unlike the drab colours in the nes. Also, it has the best version off sonic.

Keldryn

Arcane
And for me, the overall size of the console's game library isn't super important, as I simply don't have the time to play a hundred games on one system. A dozen high quality games on a system would keep me busy for a long time.

Hence one reason why I don't hold the PlayStation consoles in higher regards. I was off PC gaming for most of the GC/PS2/Xbox generation (tendonitis from mouse/keyboard overuse), so I own all three of those systems. I have more PS2 games than either GC or XB, and yet if I were to list my 10 favorite games if that generation, I don't think there would be that many PS2 titles on it.

Epsilon

Cipher
Could you recommend some turn based games for that system? I'm very interested, as I completely gave that system a pass.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Could you recommend some turn based games for that system? I'm very interested, as I completely gave that system a pass.

Jeanne D'Arc
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre - Let us cling together
Dungeons & Dragons - Tactics
WH40k: Squad Command
Disgaea
Metal Gear Acid 1+2
The Lord of the Rings: Tactics
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Even though I'm not weaboo artsyfartsy lolita style - Jeanna, FFT and TO have good artstyle, surely not vormit-fueling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom