Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dibs on Mettaton.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aw fuck, I'm gonna have to get a Toriel plush and T-Shirt now aren't I*? Just asking, but some of the cash goes to the maker and not some random guy on Tumblr right?

*(Not a big fan of characters on shirts)

Shadenuat

Arcane
Often read this topic name as "Underrail - out now", get frustrated.
but then why would it be in jrpg thread-

urgh nvm :negative:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Man, Toby must be rolling in cash. Over 200k copies sold in a month and a half plus merchandise.
:takemyjewgold:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Make sure to get a discount

76d702630b4d88a868d60e1eeb49ee96.png

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Right guys. I tried this for two hours. Found it intensely un-engaging, despite some subversive ideas and it being occasionally funny. The "diplomacy" option in the combat was especially boring - though not as boring as the "fight" part.

Despite this, love for it seems to abound. At first I thought it was just game journos circle-jerking over a nostalgia-inducing game probably produced by someone they often have brunch with. But now I find that people on the Codex don't hate it?!

What am I missing?

Mozg

Arcane
Right guys. I tried this for two hours. Found it intensely un-engaging, despite some subversive ideas and it being occasionally funny. The "diplomacy" option in the combat was especially boring - though not as boring as the "fight" part.

Despite this, love for it seems to abound. At first I thought it was just game journos circle-jerking over a nostalgia-inducing game probably produced by someone they often have brunch with. But now I find that people on the Codex don't hate it?!

What am I missing?

Toby Fox is definitely not some new games journalism insider. He's (was) closer to being your basic basement chiptunes weirdo.

I think it's easy for critics to like because it's so minimalist and doesn't fuck things up.

I think it's getting a cult because it's got a really dab hand at 2015 cuteness.

Mozg

Arcane
Plus: It's ideal to stream. Pithy chunks of funny dialog a streamer can lol to, good music, simple action you can easily follow.

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Or you could buy it DRM free from the creator's website or the Humble Store if you had spent more than 10 seconds looking for it... yikes.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/undertale_storefront
http://undertale.com/

Besides, why bother? You didn't like the first 2 hours, why would you like it after them?

I've found it on humble after grumbling here. :p

I figured I'd give it another go. It's not like I've never changed my mind about a game before. :P Maybe I was just not in the mood last time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the writing, the overall mood, etc, more than before. Still think "diplomacy" is boring as hell. :/

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So in a recent interview Yoko Taro said he really wants to play Undertale in Japanese. Like I don't love the man enough already!

(Yoko Taro is the narrative genius behind NieR and Drakengard, games which mess with the player in so many ways. NieR is even better than Undertale, though it's a fairly niche PS3 game from Japan.)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So in a recent interview Yoko Taro said he really wants to play Undertale in Japanese. Like I don't love the man enough already!

(Yoko Taro is the narrative genius behind NieR and Drakengard, games which mess with the player in so many ways. NieR is even better than Undertale, though it's a fairly niche PS3 game from Japan.)

It's on 360 too, y'know. Did anyone translate the interview?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

I have NO IDEA how these Germans got Yoko Taro in the same room with them...

lightbane

Arcane
Yoko Taro likes this game? Surprising. I would have expected he would prefer LISA, then comment he didn't like it because it wasn't emotionally gut-wrenching enough. Still, I hope Toby won't be corrupted with so much money gained in so little time...

Murk

Arcane
you should review it while simultaneously watch some gay pr0ns in the background

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom