Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I'm more abhorred by the fact that anyone would think it's a good idea to slap on a rating system in a game which is simultaneously adhering to the "play however you want" meme.

Their concept was to make a game where exceptional mission solutions can go viral on social media (which of course ends up promoting the game) and players can compete by comparing their stats. That's why it's making automatic screenshots of your achievements too.

According to Steam reviews and early impressions this is turning out to be every bit as dreadful as I expected it to be after playing the beta.
The saving system being completely broken "by design" because the devs couldn't figure how to save the state of the a level would be hilarious, if it wasn't so depressing for a long-time Underworld fan.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm more abhorred by the fact that anyone would think it's a good idea to slap on a rating system in a game which is simultaneously adhering to the "play however you want" meme.

Their concept was to make a game where exceptional mission solutions can go viral on social media (which of course ends up promoting the game) and players can compete by comparing their stats. That's why it's making automatic screenshots of your achievements too.
You'd think a trailer for a game like this would just be a highlight reel of all the cool shit you can do in-game, and nothing more.
I mean, I've seen several people who got hooked to Dark Messiah just by watching embed related:

Dodo1610

Arcane
So on a scale from
train_wreck.jpg

to
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

How much of a train wreck is this game?

Kron

Arcane
Such a complete train wreck that it makes you question the sanity and actual talent of the train constructors.
Were the previously well made trains just a fluke? Maybe the manual laborers were responsible for them being good, maybe the times were different.
Who knows...

Curratum

Such a complete train wreck that it makes you question the sanity and actual talent of the train constructors.
Were the previously well made trains just a fluke? Maybe the manual laborers were responsible for them being good, maybe the times were different.
Who knows...

One of the current Otherside devs posted someplace else, saying literally "we had no idea Thief was so good when it launched", so yes. It's all flukes.

Edit - found it!

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/...ught-to-you-by-zombie-looking-glass/76311/540

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So on a scale from
train_wreck.jpg

to
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

How much of a train wreck is this game?

Every level has some insane, baffling decision that makes you question the developers' sanity. Like, cutting the factions is lazy and sucks but it at least makes sense from a cheaping out standpoint, but why the fuck can't you cook meat once you pick it up? You're supposed to grab it while lying in the world, drag it to a fire, and put it in the fire (this rarely actually works). If it's in your inventory raw, well, you better just fucking eat raw fish I guess! Who decided on this? Why??

Gord

Arcane
why the fuck can't you cook meat once you pick it up? You're supposed to grab it while lying in the world, drag it to a fire, and put it in the fire (this rarely actually works). If it's in your inventory raw, well, you better just fucking eat raw fish I guess! Who decided on this? Why??

Drop it from inventory, hold E, put it over a fire. Worked for me.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
I like the hidden treasure chests you must solve a puzzle to find, which generally contain a single dead fish or perhaps an "empty coin purse"

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
At its best, you can pretend that instead of Call of Cthulhu Cyanide decided to make Styx 3. Though that's actually pretty unfair to them because even Styx had save files lol

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This is unbelievable. How? Why? Who? I don't even know what to ask, this is........
What was the budget for this? How much did they invest? These are the LGS people.....how? Why?
Meanwhile, Rockstar puts millions of dollars in horse balls shrinking and real time beard growing.
This is gaming today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom