Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
UU was the first free roaming, first person 3D action rpg. It's probably the first "immersive" game of this kind and I think it's also the first game that used dialog trees. When Spector was thinking about what later became deus ex, his description of the game was "A game like ultima underworld set in the present time". In the end system shock has much more obvious similarities with UU, since the huge-spaceship setting resembles much more the areas of the underworld. At present you may find the game dated, or whatever, but you can't deny its huge historical importance and influence.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Ultima Underworld isn't Ultima, Decado

Different developer, different genre, different "feel", and even lore-wise the first UU game is only loosely related to the main Ultima series.

This is why I post on the codex, because I'm getting that feeling and maybe I was too dismissive of it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Decado: sure as shit you were. You should be banished to the underworld for your ignorance, peasant :smug:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Ultima Underworld is Deus Ex and Biocock's granddaddy, among many others, and is one of the most influential & innovative games of all time, as someone else mentioned.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
And it didn't influence just future LGS games, the whole FPS genre itself owes to Ultima Underworld. The story is John Carmack decided to make his raycasting engine after seeing an UUW tech demo

Baxander

Augur
I think we are about to be in a truly amazing era for CRPGs. Wasteland 2, Underworld Ascension, Pillars of Eternity........I never thought I would see these days again!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
and I think it's also the first game that used dialog trees.

The first game I know which had dialogue trees, tho' admittedly basic (but still structured like a tree), was Sentinel Worlds (1988). Just felt obliged to share it.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd bet good money there are text adventures with dialog trees

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I can't think of any old text adventures with dialog trees. As CB said Sentinel Worlds might be the first game with one. Although UU probably took it some steps forward :

7-Ogri2.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm also excited for this, but I cant but fear that it will be BioShock without guns... linear exploration, no traps or puzzles, no dialog nor factions, no equipment and focus on spells that act just like guns and Plasmids...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't think of any old text adventures with dialog trees. As CB said Sentinel Worlds might be the first game with one. Although UU probably took it some steps forward :

7-Ogri2.png

Not judging by that picture, because it's about the same as in SW; seems just as basic, at least. SW actually had dependencies, in that you could only ask about B if you've asked about A, and a kind of "node limit" on dialogue trees, in that you could only ask an NPC about a certain number of things before he/she grew tired of your chatter.

I just never payed attention to this "design" side of things when I played UU, really, so I dunno. I'd need to replay it, or someone needs to point out some of the game's more advanced dialogue trees to me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
UU has very primitive dialogue trees compared to pretty much any game out there. You can loop several conversations infinitely, for example. There was no Choice & Consequence, choosing one option over another usually only yielded/omitted an extra paragraph of text before returning to the flow as normal. At most you could screw something up that resulted in an :END TALK: situation, but then you could just talk to them again and start over.

While UU2 made some improvements in dialogue trees, they are barely worth mentioning.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Other-Jeff said:
I would avoid reading *too* much into one or two sentences in an interview. Design is still in the early stages and we are all reading and discussing everything you guys bring up here.

I think the entire team shares an over arching goal that we want to do something true to the UU spirit but that will contain new surprises and delights the way UU dd back then, leveraging all the technical improvements that have ocurred in the intervening time.

Exactly what that looks like we don't know yet which is why your input is so important.

http://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg360#msg360

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
UU has very primitive dialogue trees compared to pretty much any game out there. You can loop several conversations infinitely, for example. There was no Choice & Consequence, choosing one option over another usually only yielded/omitted an extra paragraph of text before returning to the flow as normal. At most you could screw something up that resulted in an :END TALK: situation, but then you could just talk to them again and start over.

While UU2 made some improvements in dialogue trees, they are barely worth mentioning.

This. But again the UU games were never games about talking. Arx Fatalis has even less dialogue options (read almost zero) as well.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What the fuck are you niggers going on about? The lizard language part was awesome, don't dismiss the dialogue, I only wish it was more parser-based because dialogue trees are p. lame

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hello dumbfuck.

We never mentioned the content of the conversations, merely the structure that delivered us that content.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I am not talking merely about content either, but the puzzle-like nature of some interactions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ascension-the-game-that-took-20-years-to-sign

Underworld Ascension: The game that took 20 years to sign
Paul Neurath on EA, foregoing Ultima and his new game.

jpg

"We didn't know it would have that kind of effect!"

By
Robert Purchese Published Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Role-playing games changed forever when Ultima Underworld launched in 1992. Here was a first-person adventure set in a fully 3D simulated world - an experience like possibly no other before. Skyrim takes all the glory today but The Elder Scrolls series was still two years from appearing on shelves back then. And it's not just Bethesda's games that were inspired by Underworld: prolific and celebrated designers such as Ken Levine, Warren Spector and Richard Garriott all highly regard it - and the man in charge of Underworld, Paul Neurath, worked with most of them. Now all of a sudden he's back - and so is Underworld.

Neurath is making a new game called Underworld Ascension, a project he got the surprise nod from brand holder EA to go ahead with not long before it was announced at the beginning of July. "It was a surprise to us," Neurath tells me in an interview. "EA had the rights and I'd been having discussions with them going back 20 years about doing a new Underworld. And finally the stars aligned and I was able to get the rights to be able to move forward with the franchise."

He doesn't have the go-ahead to use the Ultima licence, he clarifies, but the original Underworld game was designed without Ultima in mind, and having no fiction to adhere to may grant more creative freedom anyway.

"[Ultima Underworld originally] didn't have any Ultima [connection] and we didn't anticipate that it would - that wasn't the plan," he recounts. "We got almost half-way through development of that game - the core game was all there, the game systems, you could run through dungeons - before we penned the publishing agreement with Origin which then put the Ultima brand on it. That was done initially as a way to brand it, because Ultima was their big brand at that time. And it made sense - fictionally it was a pretty good fit.

"But the original concept wasn't going to be Ultima. In the original Ultima Underworld, the Ultima wasn't core to the experience, it was somewhat incidental. It was a distant cousin, in a lot of ways, to the core Ultimas."

To be clear: Neurath doesn't own the Underworld brand, he's leasing it, but he has what sounds like creative free reign.

"There's no sign-offs or approvals or anything like that," he assures me. "We have the rights to do anything in the future with the franchise. I guess the term would be 'it's leased', but we can do what we want - what we feel is right - with the franchise going forward."

jpg

Underworld Ascension as a project is brand new. The studio making the game, Otherside Entertaiment, "It's only been around for a few weeks," laughs Neurath. He landed the Underworld rights and scrambled to make a studio, which has around a dozen people and some names we will apparently know, although he won't yet say who.

The studio's name is a play on Looking Glass - the legendary studio responsible for making games such as Thief and System Shock and Ultima Underworld - because the other side is what you get to when you go through it. Why Looking Glass? Neurath co-founded it, and worked there until the studio collapsed in 2000.

When he left he started a new gaming company with more of a mobile focus, called Floodgate (which also co-developed Neverwinter Nights expansion Shadows of Undrentide and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, the first-person dungeon action game helmed by Dishonored developer Arkane). Floodgate's team was acquired by social gaming giant Zynga in 2011 - for an undisclosed but presumably hefty sum - and Neurath left after that. He tells me he moved on "some time ago", so was presumably well positioned and well financed to jump on the Underworld opportunity when it arose.

Given all that, it's no surprise to find out that Underworld Ascension only really exists - at the moment - on paper and in Neurath's mind. "We're really only about three-four weeks into this," he admits (albeit a couple of weeks ago), and says the team will be flinging ideas around "for quite some time". But some of those ideas have been in his head for 20 years - dreamt up when when the Underworld series came to what he calls "a premature halting point" in 1993.

"We had all kinds of thoughts about where we would take that franchise," he says, "new areas to explore and grow, and that's been on hold for two decades! Now we can go back and take it to where we always intended it to go."

In scope, Underworld Ascension will be a much more modest production than a blockbuster such as Skyrim. Its focus will be on gameplay above graphics, which isn't to say it will look rough, and it will take a small team "a while" to make. "Not next year!" blurts Neurath when I ask about release. It's a PC game primarily but other platforms are a possibility.

All of which sounds to me like something we could see on Kickstarter; he has a known brand, he himself is a known name and his experienced team could presumably put together a solid pitch. I ask whether that's the plan and he says he's undecided, and that he's looking at three or four possible funding options for the game.

At the moment, he's simply happy to announce to the world that he's making the game he's wanted to make for 20 years. But, all that time later, can Underworld really have the same impact it once did? "We didn't know it would have that kind of effect!" he responds. "I stitched together what I learned from some really talented folks that I got to work with and Underworld was a representation of that time and place.

"What I get the biggest kick out of is that 22-23 years later we're still talking about the Underworlds. Most games, even really good games, you're not talking about some years later.

"There's certainly been innovation in the last 20 years in this space and some great games have come out. On the other hand," he adds, "there's still a lot of room to innovate and grow, and we'd like to go back to doing that and really pushing and pioneering and moving forward the genre."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom