Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

jdinatale

Cipher
We already had a spiritual successor to UU, it's called Arx Fatalis.

Remember the spiritual successors to System Shock? To Thief?

IF this ends up being announced for consoles as well as PC, it is guaranteed to be Skyrim set in underground.

deuxhero

Arcane
What platforms are you looking at for Underworld Ascension?

PN: PC for sure. Still sorting out other potential platforms.

Paul, no need for sorting out that, just count those out please.

edit:ninjad

How is the PS1 port of Ultima Underworld anyways? It was never released in English, but I am pretty curious about it.

edit: apparently it readded some bugs that were patched out, blurred the game. Wonderful.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After certain vapourware of other hope named Arx - End of Sun I gladly welcome that idea.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First person melee combat will always fail, thus spoke Sawyerthustra.

Hopefully there'll be some good first person shooting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First person melee combat will always fail, thus spoke Sawyerthustra.
Crockshit
Josh said:
I feel that a 1st person perspective will always handicap melee. The biggest problems are low situational awareness (due to the proximity of enemies and the limitations of FoV -- in fact the DMoMM designer admitted that enemies effectively hold back when out of view to deal with this problem), poor readability of your own character's attacks (for the same reason), and poor depth perception (a DMoMM designer admitted that their hit detection effectively "cheats" to help the player).

I sort of view first-person melee like turbine-powered motorcycles. You can make a well-executed turbine-powered motorcycle. Unfortunately, turbines are poorly suited for the sort of use that motorcycles actually see in most applications. DMoMM was the most viscerally satisfying first-person melee I've seen yet, but I found it frustrating to actually play.
He's not wrong.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On one hand, I'm like this:

:what:

On the other, bitter, repeatedely disappointed, suffering-from-multiple-burns-and-should-be-amputated hand... I'm like this:

:x

But basically I'm like everyone else:

starship-troopers.jpg

Repressed Homosexual
Why do people think it will be anything but a dumbed down piece of trash, how many times have you been fooled by smooth talking before?

"Old legendary designers" are just jaded, sad, dull, and tired. They have lost all their sacred fire and just want to make games to play on mobiles to make themselves feel like because they play it they're still hardcore gamers. They just want to make money by capitalizing on their pedigree to pay their mortgage/college kids tuition/alimony and child support payments.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
How reminiscent logo they have.

LG1i0Xg.png
OASJINMEOSEWME

JAMONISAWESOME

The first line seems to be an anagram of the second, "Jamon is awesome". Looks like someone at OtherSide is a big ham (pun intended).

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I can't believe the original UW creator would acquire rights and undertake the next official UW game only to fuck it up. Looking Glass was just too fucking good under his watch.

It could go to shit as ananything can, but I refuse to consider pessimism at this stage as anything but jaded douchebaggery. This is the best CRPG announcement in 20 years. So says Shank Lick.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah, this talk about rights made me go looking for trademarks, and look what I found: http://www.trademarkia.com/underworld-ascendant-86081935.html

Word Mark:UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT
Status/
Status Date:
PUBLISHED FOR OPPOSITION
5/20/2014
Serial Number:86081935
Filing Date:10/3/2013
Registration Number:NOT AVAILABLE
Registration Date:NOT AVAILABLE
Goods and Services:Computer game cartridges and discs; Computer game programs; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; Downloadable computer game programs
Mark Description:NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark:TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date:5/20/2014
Last Applicant/Owner:Cerulean Sky Productions, Inc.
Lincoln, MA 01773
THOMAS F. DUNN
MORSE, BARNES-BROWN & PENDLETON, P.C.
230 3RD AVE STE 4
WALTHAM, MA 02451-7542

"Cerulean Sky Productions", huh? What does that remind you of?

And "OtherSide Entertainment" is itself a trademark of Cerulean Sky Productions: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cerulean-sky-productions-inc-4066346-page-1-2

October 2013! They've been planning this for a long time. I wonder why they changed it from "Ascendant" to "Ascension", though.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Haha! This talk about rights made me go looking for trademarks, and look what I found: http://www.trademarkia.com/underworld-ascendant-86081935.html

Word Mark:UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT
Status/
Status Date:
PUBLISHED FOR OPPOSITION
5/20/2014
Serial Number:86081935
Filing Date:10/3/2013
Registration Number:NOT AVAILABLE
Registration Date:NOT AVAILABLE
Goods and Services:Computer game cartridges and discs; Computer game programs; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; Downloadable computer game programs
Mark Description:NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark:TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date:5/20/2014
Last Applicant/Owner:Cerulean Sky Productions, Inc.
Lincoln, MA 01773
THOMAS F. DUNN
MORSE, BARNES-BROWN & PENDLETON, P.C.
230 3RD AVE STE 4
WALTHAM, MA 02451-7542

"Cerulean Sky Productions", huh? What does that remind you of?

And "OtherSide Entertainment" is itself a trademark of Cerulean Sky Productions: http://www.trademarkia.com/company-cerulean-sky-productions-inc-4066346-page-1-2

October 2013! They've been planning this for a long time. I wonder why they changed it from "Ascendant" to "Ascension", though.

So... they registered a trademark for their game title. Big surprise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom