Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Update #44: Dev Diary #1, Introducing Aelita, New Screenshots

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Joe Fielder; OtherSide Entertainment; Paul Neurath; Sam Luangkhot; Underworld Ascendant; Warren Spector

After the Underworld Ascendant SXSW panel the other week, OtherSide said that a new video and a new monthly update were coming up next. The video came out last week. It turned out to be a dev diary featuring Paul Neurath, Warren Spector and Joe Fielder, apparently the first in an ongoing series. The video is a basic introduction to the game's design principles. Nothing we haven't heard already, although it does include a few more new snippets of gameplay footage.

As for the monthly update, it's out now, a few days later than expected. The update is pretty big, but there are two main highlights. First, the introduction of Aelita, a rogue character voiced by Fryda Wolff who will be the player's ally. She's the female voice in the SXSW teaser trailer, and was also the protagonist of the old prototype trailer from 2015. Second, there's a batch of new screenshots apparently showcasing areas from Ascendant's tutorial level, which it turns out is a reimagining of Ultima Underworld's first level. It sounds like they're planning to make it part of the game's alpha release.

The first level of Underworld Ascendant may be especially notable for longtime fans of the series because it’s a modern follow-up to the first level of Ultima Underworld®.

As you may know, that level was designed by Paul and introduced players to The Stygian Abyss, and, according to many, the Immersive Sim genre. There are more than a few notable landmarks that fans will enjoy, as well as that game’s signature moldy cheese and other questionable food items.

It’s also our “un-training level” where we try to break players from assumptions they might’ve brought in from other games and how to teach them to teach themselves within the deep immersive sim environment.

You’ll see and hear more about it in future updates… and in the upcoming Backer Alpha.
OtherSide will be at PAX East in Boston next week on April 5-8, so expect more new stuff soon.

frajaq

Erudite
6cAOLAN.png

:hmmm:

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
[Pic of a sexless human being wearing a nonsensical attire and drawn by a 14 yo kid]

:hmmm:
My reaction too.
This game has no real art style, it's depressing. And you have to remember it's one piece of "art" they're proud of, since they ended up showing it to backers.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there any specific reason they make it look like a mobile game?
When I think back to Underworld, I don't remember cutesy comics, but a somewhat dark atmosphere.
What the hell went wrong here?

frajaq

Erudite
Is there any specific reason they make it look like a mobile game?
When I think back to Underworld, I don't remember cutesy comics, but a somewhat dark atmosphere.
What the hell went wrong here?

The "cartoony" art style seems to be REALLY popular these days (Fortnite/Overwatch/Most other mobile games), so maybe they want a piece of that too?

Then again I doubt that kind of audience will even fucking hear about this game ever

Viata

Arcane
That is sad. Couldn't they make the dungeon a dark place? I want a game that it requires main party(or mc) holding torches to be able to see anything, while having monsters that can easily seem in the dark, where every noise can make your group scared of going further into the dungeon.
I just want an immersive sim that exploring a dungeon is not a walk in the park. It should be scary, terrifying, to get past a part is the reward itself, and the deeper you go, the more you character stinks of blood and looks like a red dot in the darkness. :negative:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
They supposedly want to recreate the art style of D&D miniatures. Which look nothing like this but hey.

Darkzone

Arcane
6cAOLAN.png

What a disgusting picture, that is fucked up on every level, of a shitty designed character. Otherside should rather hide this atrocity instead of show it to us.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The cartoony style is... ok I guess, not a big fan of it but at least the “retro” dungeon looks good
Honestly trying to find good things about this game, between the development of this one and the Sysem Shock fiasco I really cant be too enthusiastic about any of the pledges I have made in the last couple of years
Looking at this thread made me nostalgic for Arx Fatalis more than Ultima Underworld

Flou

Arbiter
The cartoony style is a bit of a turn-off for me. Other than that waiting anxiously for the game :)

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Future winner of KK-KODEX "Most Decline Game" of *2018 (or *19)

Zep--
*with or without sound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom