Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underworld Sequel

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looking forward to this Charles. Loved the first game (though still working my way through it with my Codex party).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
heh I made it to the uh... "Fire" level, then I re-started my codex party. So sure. I'll share some thought's. I still enjoy the original game. It is a good kick ass solid blobber old school game (and good combat, man I SO miss that). Just looking forward to the new over-world and all the new nasty creatures we will encounter. And the new classes sound very interesting.

visions

Arcane
Something else I'm considering:

worldview_test3.png

The box at the bottom would be for game texts only and stay empty otherwise. This kind of bothers me a bit - actually it could tell something like a level of danger, a description of the area, party status or morale, etc). The bottom right box would carry the icons for all game options. That 32 next to Gael would be for spell components when applicable. I could actually fit several different values from top to bottom.

Late to the party but I quite like that mockup.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
visions That's the one I'm going for. Not to say it is entirely final yet, given the early stages of development, but that's the basic idea. Party grouped close to the icons which will be at the bottom right and game texts below the world view.

Mortmal

Arcane
Actually the new UI choice doesnt sound a bad idea, it remembers me a bit of the interface of drakkhen , however in drakkhen the paperdolll were reflecting wich items your characters were using, i dont know if its the case there.Id say i prefer the last one , but all 3 are good to be honest.

Don't like the "modern" one. Don't pretend to be something you're not. You have an oldschool game with "practical" visuals and a non-animated world, there's absolute no reason to try to modernise or minimise the interface.

The one with the octopus is good. I still think you should tone down the red saturation though

zeitgeist

Magister
Ultima-Underworld.jpg

The emblem could have movement arrows or a compass integrated to justify its existence. Or both.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
zeitgeist I'm not sure what you mean by emblem... At the bottom right or the logo at the top right?

Maybe we aren't on the same page - I just realized there isn't a copy of the new GUI here (only in the page I linked to a couple posts up)

GUI_candy.jpg

Excommunicator I'll look into the saturation. This choice between old and new is a tough one. I see what you mean but the reviewer on CanardPC was quite unpleasant about the GUI... Still this one addresses some of the concerns raised at least. And my personal preference changes every other day :roll:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Why dont you push the 6 character buttons upward and keep the automap at the bottom. Drop the last big button altogether, more space for automap.

That would be more vertical space for the automap. It would need as much horizontal space to really be useful and that block at the bottom right is meant for buttons like search, map...

I'm also thinking about buttons in the bottom center though. Perhaps I'll split them according to function (party vs environment) or duplicate them for easier mouse access...

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Wow, I see you're not holding back with the number of locations. Are you going for a less linear approach with more optional content?

Hey Underworld isn't THAT linear :)

But yes, Sovereign is set out to be a lot less so. Although absence of level scaling tends to set a path I'll do my best to leave lots of options. Dungeons, caverns and the like, for instance, can be accessible to a low level party but impossible to complete until a certain amount of strength is built up.

Some places however will be punishing from the offstart so exploring will always be a possibility at the player's risk. But with the ability to save anywhere, why not go see that dark knight or that red dragon with a lvl 1 party? It'll be quick and painless :)

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't wait to hear about character development. M&M tribute or not, that's one area I'd like to see improved over the previous game.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Can't wait to hear about character development. M&M tribute or not, that's one area I'd like to see improved over the previous game.

The character creation post has been delayed a bit (lots of little things to settle like cross-requirements, descriptions...) but I uploaded a new GUI with... portraits! And a new town environment. It's a lot more popamole. :)

The character update will be up in a week or two now.

Sovereign_gui_0213.png

For those that like to comment on the dev blog (always appreciated) the entry is here.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The character creation post has been delayed a bit (lots of little things to settle like cross-requirements, descriptions...) but I uploaded a new GUI with... portraits! And a new town environment. It's a lot more popamole. :)

The character update will be up in a week or two now.

Ain't no thang bro.

The GUI is... small. I like the portraits and the art a lot. In fact I think it looks so good you won't hear even the Codex bitch about it.

Blog said:
- Sovereign will be much more intuitive and mouse-friendly than Underworld was. Even if the GUI continues to evolve, this will be a priority.

But will it be possible to play without a mouse? I actually preferred using the keyboard in the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom