Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Codex WotR weather poll

How much, in your opinion, should weather conditions affect the characters:

• Total voters

Norfleet

How extreme of weather are we talking about? Are we talking about pansy-ass extreme weather like blizzards, rain, or wind, or EXTREME weather like supersonic sideways rains of molten glass?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Weather should be fun. If it isn't going to make the game more fun, leave it out.

Ask the Spanish Armada how fun weather is.

If you want it to be fun better bring a Storm Druid!

Desiderius

Patron
After seeing how they handled weather conditions in Kingmaker, I think it's in everyone's interest to drop this thing. Seeing your characters' movement speed slow down to a crawl every once in a while is not fun and serves absolutely no purpose. I'd love to be surprised, but I'm pretty skeptical about this.
That's an extremely homosexual post NJ.
And does that surprise you? Seriously?

But what's the point of having to wait longer IRL when you want to go from point A to point B, without any effect on gameplay? That's just boring. And since that was their idea of "weather conditions" in Kingmaker, I don't see why it should be different this time around, especially considering how hesitant they are about implementing anything that wasn't already in the first game, except for that HoMM minigame.

It also debuffed Perception.

Drowed

Arcane
I voted for "Extreme weather conditions are harsh", but as others have already mentioned here, this is only valid if it is something well implemented. For example, I think the best implementation of such a system would be a system that brings with it an encounter table adjusted for weather conditions. It wouldn't simply be a "lolz heavy rain take a debuff" system.

But for example, if in 'normal' weather the combat in a certain part would involve X specific enemies, in the case of heavy rain, the enemies would no longer include certain mobs that suffer penalties in the rain but other mobs. Technically, I think that the encounters would have to be adjusted for each type of weather to make an interesting and unexpected challenge - which, let's agree, is completely impossible to happen. They're not going to do that at all.

So while "in theory" I believe that in an ideal world the weather should drastically affect the characters, in practice I honestly don't see this being implemented in an acceptable way. And if you're going to implement something badly, better not to do it, or just leave it as a cosmetic effect.

Bara

Arcane
Should be extream and effect gameplay.

If not when your traveling as a party at least do it for the HoMM segments so long as the weather effects everyone.

Thonius

Arcane
Rain debuffs fire spells and acid?. Super hot weather and deserts buff fire and nerf water-based dmg. Wind debuffs archers and adds speed to charge?. Snow buffs cold dmg and well duh nerfs fire-based dmg again. And that's without even talking about some wack magic weather. Weather should affect how your party performs.

Tao

Savant
If you could protect yourself and party with magic for example i don't see the problem.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The weather should affect magic too. Fireball, Fire snake and incendiary cloud spells should be extremely weaker during a strong hailstorm.

Riel

Arcane
I think there should be no weather. I don't care for the mechanics, I just don't like to have lightning and thunder annoying ME while I could just be enjoying a game. In Kingmaker, every time there was a storm between the noise and the slower walk speed out of combat I just wanted to stop playing.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In Kingmaker, every time there was a storm between the noise and the slower walk speed out of combat I just wanted to stop playing.

Owlcat could just have a option of fast out of combat speed for this situations.

But unless you are playing as a winter witch or something similar, walking in mid of hailstorm should include some penalties.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
proper fairy tale weather would be nice to see for once

but that would allow players to leave Linzi out in the woods overnight to die of exposure, and we cannot be allowed to have such nice things can we?

Artyoan

Arbiter
I'd rather have it as it was in Kingmaker or improved on. I wouldn't be a fan of removing it. It was an 'inconvenience' but it helps the game feel more lively by introducing some random element of weather even if mechanically it does nothing beneficial. Have more weather interactivity with spells and abilities as well as special spawns only when its storming. Or areas that are accessible only if its rained.

Sykar

Arcane
weather in kingmaker looked nice but it served no functional purpose other than slowing player down.

I'm not a fan of random debuffs and surely they won't be making a complex system that meshes with spells and abilities.
also for the love of god debuff movement speed in any way shape or form while out of combat.

Blatant nonsense. It also occured a hefty ranged penalty which made melee all the better. Always loved rain it made my melees especially the skirmisher types like barb or pets like smilodon extra dangerous.

After seeing how they handled weather conditions in Kingmaker, I think it's in everyone's interest to drop this thing. Seeing your characters' movement speed slow down to a crawl every once in a while is not fun and serves absolutely no purpose. I'd love to be surprised, but I'm pretty skeptical about this.
That's an extremely homosexual post NJ.
And does that surprise you? Seriously?

But what's the point of having to wait longer IRL when you want to go from point A to point B, without any effect on gameplay? That's just boring. And since that was their idea of "weather conditions" in Kingmaker, I don't see why it should be different this time around, especially considering how hesitant they are about implementing anything that wasn't already in the first game, except for that HoMM minigame.

Weather causes inconvinience is the purpose. Just like in real life.

Desiderius

Patron
Part of the reason people game is to escape the merely real. Now the experience needs to be more than real rather than less, but slogging through rain with no way to adapt/make the weather adapt to you is no fun.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Part of the reason people game is to escape the merely real. Now the experience needs to be more than real rather than less, but slogging through rain with no way to adapt/make the weather adapt to you is no fun.
perhaps making available consumables/cantrips to alleviate/negate the maluses would make it a better experience

Sarathiour

Cipher
Weather should be a nuisance at low-mid level, in the sense that they should make you rethink your tactic, and cost you ressources if you don't. It could also impact crusade battle, by nerfing or buffing some unit.

Past mid game it should be silly to care about any non-supernatural one. Supernatural one for specific encounter are fine, like the one where you are repeatedly stroke by ligthning in kingmaker.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just fuck my shit up.

Make me curse the rain and praise the sun.

I think it is also very important to have a wide range of weathers, to the point where a clear sky on a good day with no real effects should be a relative rarity, as to not incentivize trying to avoid effects by simply loading and shit.

But as per the topic question, yeah, just shit in my hamper, straight-up. Make me get stuck in mud and watch my chocobo die. Make frostbite take my toes. Make my eyes puff up like billiard balls from sandstorms of crushed glass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom