Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

Astral Rag

Arcane
I've been playing around with DOSBox ECE:

Currently, DOSBox ECE differs from normal DOSBox in these features:

:greatjob:

edit: The Pixel Perfect mode is majestic:

EnTXJyN.png
aLxkuTR.jpg

Lt8AU0O.png

WVFxg3r.png

OnkmDEL.png

scRdc0E.png

8s8KDVP.png

edit: For those interested, and future me, below is my Bioforge dosbox ece config which I use as a base for all Dos games GOG versions or other.

[sdl]

sensitivity=100

fullscreen=true

fulldouble=false

fullresolution=desktop

windowresolution=original

output=surfacepp

mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]

machine=svga_s3

memsize=16

[render]

frameskip=0

aspect=true

scaler=none

[cpu]

core=auto

cputype=auto

cycles=max

cycleup=1000

cycledown=1000

[mixer]

blocksize=2048

prebuffer=40

[sblaster]

sbtype=sb16

sbbase=220

irq=5

dma=1

hdma=5

[dos]

xms=true

ems=true

umb=true

keyboardlayout=none

Of course you can tweak the CPU speed as required.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Astral Rag When playing in windowed mode with the ECE version, can you drag the window to change the size of the rendered gameport? Does it respect aspect ratio = true scaling when you do this?

Astral Rag

Arcane
I just tried it and couldn't do it but I use the pixel perfect mode (surfacepp), maybe it's possible when using one of the other modes.

edit: No luck with Openglnb either. Is it possible with Daum or another fork? I never play Windowed so I never looked into that before.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, that makes sense when using a pixel perfect setting. If you get around to trying it with pixel perfect disabled but AR enforced, drop me a note please.

spekkio

Arcane
Howdy, BROs.

I've bought Homeworld - Cataclysm @ GoG and tested it on Win7 x64. Since some old sites with info about HW games are down, I compiled the info below.

1) Using OpenGL Renderer (D3D won't work, Glide requires wrapper - GoG version uses Glide mode + nGlide wrapper): switch homeworld.exe or cataclysm.exe to WinNT compatibility mode (not Win95/98 mode, these won't work). Other switches recommended as well (GoG version has these set):

wb3dDvi.png

2) Using switches (most info stolen from PCGamingWiki):

Run homeworld.exe with /shit switch ("homeworld.exe /triple" for example) and cataclysm.exe with -shit switch ("cataclysm.exe -triple" for example).
  • triple Enables OpenGL triple buffering, improves graphical quality and removes flickering at higher resolutions. Use unless it causes problems.
  • enable3DNow Enables the 3DNow processor instruction set if available. Use unless it causes problems.
  • enableSSE Enables the SSE processor instruction set if available. Use unless it causes problems.
  • disableAVI Disables the intro movies when the game starts.
  • nofastfe Disables the fast graphical frontend. Use this only when having graphical problems like flickering
  • noglddraw Don't use DirectDraw to setup OpenGL renderers. Try this is you're having problems getting OpenGL to work.
  • safeGL Don't use possibly buggy optimized features of OpenGL for rendering. Try this if you're having problems getting OpenGL to work.
  • pilotview Enable pilot view. Focus on single ship and press Q to toggle.
  • heap XXX Allows the game to use up to XXX bytes RAM for the heap since by default the game isn't allowed to use much. 256 MB should suffice: /heap 268435456 but if you have more, try raising it to 1 GB: /heap 1073741824
  • window Launches game in windowed mode + border.
  • noBorder Disables window border.
People infested with Win10 need MOAR TWEAKS:

Running HW games on Win10 FAQ1

Running HW games on Win10 FAQ2

That is all. :obviously:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are any of the Shadow Warrior Source engine ports recommended for a first playthrough (GoG version)?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm playing Dungeon Keeper 2 right now and meet a nasty surprise - can't recruit Black Knights and Dark Angels in the last 3 missions.
Turns out the GOG version is borked (have latest official patch that bork up more than fix, welp).
Community already made their own patches, they fixed recruitment problems and AI retardation (which is good) but they also bring more changes, their own visions, that I don't like.
Modders gonna modders, what do you know. Just like Thief 1/2 patches....

Anyway - here is map fixer for recruitments issues, just remember to start that mission (18th unless you're nut and beat the game without best units) again cause saves will be incompatible.
Drop it in Dungeon Keeper 2>Data>editor>maps
https://keeperklan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1358&d=1392893465

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Checked on spekkio's links for the Anachronox patches. While it's good to have them for those that still have the retail version lying about, the current GOG installer has them all installed and fixes various other bugs as well, making it the 'go-to' version of Anachronox for modern times. The Steam version may have these fixes as well, but since I don't own it there I have no info on it.

However, there is one additional patch that can be applied to the GOG version - the Widescreen Fix. This rather crude hack allows Anachronox to be played with virtually any resolution, but watching the intro with it shows too much - you can see what I mean by watching the video below, at the 0:40 and 1:03 marks.

Use at your own risk.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Indie game favorite (and veteran) Aquaria went open source many years ago, and an unofficial patch now exists dubbed the Open Source Edition (all further info can be found in the link).

The patch offers:

# Stability fixes
# Widescreen support
# Controller support
# Positional sound
# Improved mod support

spekkio

Arcane
So, I was playing around with (Severance) Blade of Darkness recently.

Below my two cents about running the game on modern systems (Win7 x64 in my case), compiled from various sources.

- Game should install fine.
- Some people recommend enabling "Windows NT 4.0" compatibility mode.
- The most important part is choosing Video and Audio "plugins"

Audio:

DirectSound3D 7 + Software - Pan and Volume is recommended. It's supposed to be the fastest on current hardware.

Video:

1) D3d works, supports high resolutions, but it's unstable and most importantly, GUI is borked (options are dark and not highlighted, so it's impossible / hard to use).

HrQr9N9.jpg

2) r3Dfx Voodoo 1-2 can be used via wrappers. Unfortunately, you can only use resolutions up to 1024x768 plus it's jaggy / slow IMO (at least when using nGlide).

3) rOpenGL is recommended. It's an experimental unofficial renderer, can be found on Mod DB

LyVaOrH.jpg

Best image, ton of options, stable.

Recommended settings:

Code:
Textures - Filter Mode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

Color: all 3 sliders set to "0"

Misc: Scale set to "1.0" or higher (makes dialogue windows bigger).

Two problems with this plugin, though:

a) There's no V-Sync option, so force it via driver settings. Without it, game is jaggy.

b) Fog is broken in some areas. Use FogFix mod to fix this. Original site is down, but you can find it On Mod DB.

You can also tweak / remove fog yourself. Info here.

4) FogFix requires BODLoader (mod manager). You can grab it here.

5) While you at it, you can also enable another useful mod: Difficulty Level Mod

And that's it:

U0l7gYR.jpg

7T1lQHj.jpg

sDhziE3.jpg

i7icLV9.jpg

:dance:

Sources:

https://af.gog.com/forum/blade_of_darkness/graphical_fixes?as=1649904300
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9401

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
The most prestigious thread on the Dex dropped to the bottom of the stickies?

:roll:

It looks like most of the modern 'Dexers don't bother with oldshit PC goodnes, and make do with the POPAMOLE decline newshit instead.

:decline:

Anyway, after 1,5 years it's time for a small update. Too bad that people keep posting interesting compatibility links in various threads, but don't bother to do this here as well. I was able to spot some, but certainly not all of them.

1) Fixed / Updated links in the OP:
  • Sierra games - Script code patches
  • Aliens vs Predator
  • Arcanum
  • Bard's Tale 3
  • Daggerfall
  • Eye of the Beholder 1-2
  • Fallout 1
  • Frontier - Elite 2
  • Heavy Metal - FAKK2
  • Max Payne
  • Myth 2 - Soulblighter
  • Return To Castle Wolfenstein
  • Space Quest 4
  • Star Wars - Dark Forces
  • Theme Park World
  • Titan Quest - Immortal Throne
  • Unreal Tournament
2) New thingies posted ITT:
  • Precursors: russian voicepack (MotherMachinae)
  • Xenus II - White Gold: russian voicepack (MotherMachinae)
  • Claw: runnin on newshit OSes (MotherMachinae)
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy: links to unofficial patches (Nevill)
  • Blood: source port (Astral Rag)
  • American McGee's Alice: FOV modification (Drog) R.I.P. in peace
  • Jade Empire: various stuff (Drog)
  • Quake 2: fixes for Steam version (Drog)
  • Diablo: various stuff (Drog)
  • Blade Runner: newshit OSes installer / patch (Modron)
  • Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory: ET Legacy (Astral Rag)
  • Kingpin: Widescreen Mod (Astral Rag)
  • Soldier of Fortune: Community Edition (Astral Rag)
  • Max Payne 1 & 2: Widescreen Fixes (Astral Rag)
  • Commander Keen: Source Port (Astral Rag)
  • Manhunt: Widescreen + No Crashes Fix (Ninja Destroyer)
  • Fixes for Half-Life 2 + Episodes & Portal, Sin and TF2 (Unreal)
  • Nox: Unofficial Patch (Astral Rag)
  • CookiePLMonster's Fixes for Bully, Far Cry, Godfather: BRO gondor
  • Max Payne 3: FMV skipping mod (MoistCloister)
  • Aquaria: Unofficial Patch (Unkillable Cat)
  • Homeworld: running on newshit OSes (spekkio)
  • Blade of Darkness: running on newshit OSes (spekkio)
3) New thingies I've found on the 'Dex and elsewhere:

todo

spekkio

Arcane
Alright, it's done. :roll:

3) New thingies I've found on the 'Dex and elsewhere:
  • Fallout Tactics - BOS: fixed .exe from the Redux 1.3 Mod (should fix the burst bug and some others) (spekkio)
  • Ys SEVEN: HD Texture Pack + Undub (spekkio)
  • Ys - Memories of Celceta: Undub (spekkio)
  • Mafia: Restoring music to GoG version (mwnn85)
  • Tomb Raider 1: TombATI (flyingjohn)
  • Unreal Tournament: Oldunreal-Multimedia-Patches (spekkio)
  • Open Source Game Clones (list of open-source ramakes or clones) (spekkio)
  • MIDI playback on new OSes (Gragt)
  • Gorky 17: Running on Win7 (flyingjohn)
  • Scarface: Graphics Corruption Fix (flyingjohn)
  • Widescreen Fixes Pack by ThirteenAG (spekkio)
  • Star Wars - Republic Commando: Graphics Fix (spekkio)
  • Chrome & Chrome Specforce: Unofficial Patch (spekkio)
  • Flashback: source port (spekkio)
  • Drakan - Order of the Flame: AiO Unofficial Patch 2nd Edition (spekkio)
Thanks for NOT posting your shit ITT, flyingjohn. :roll:

I had to find all your posts manually (had original urls stored in .txt file), since some fag mod / admin nuked posts / users, making your posts change page. Fucking annoying.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Not a patch but still of interest nonetheless:

Mark V is a Quake source port with emphasis on speed and reproducing the vanilla look and feel of WinQuake. The DirectX 9 version runs fine on my toaster, and there is even a software version for those interested. Consider it a spiritual successor to the promising but now abandoned DirectQ. It isn’t the same type of project as Chocolate (or Crispy) Doom, but so far it’s the most modern way of easily running vanilla Quake that I know of.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Tried Syndicate DeBloom for Syndicate (2012) and it works fine. Turns out the game is not that bad, specially after experiencing a decade of decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom