Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah, if PCGW was in its current state back in 2014, I wouldn't have to make this thread. :cry:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149669

T2Fix 1.27e has been released:

Changelog:

v1.27e
-Added the Dark Mod Manager component
-Updated T2FMDML to Release 4
-The DromEd Basic Toolkit is now separately selectable from DromEd proper
-Scripts are now an optional component
-Updated NVScript to the latest beta
-Included more minor mission fixes
-Filled in an air pocket under a bed of lava in Kidnap
-Fixed a missing room brush in Life of the Party
-Setup no longer requires elevated privileges for normal operation
-Added an option to preserve existing video configuration
-Changes to the Wizard Form:
-Added 'Restore Previous Setup' button on the component selection page
-Additional minor changes

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, during my recent hunt for the proper aspect ratio in X-wing / TIE Fighter games, I've learned about something, that is relevant to this thread. Which is:

Direct3D 11 via DDraw wrapper by Reimar Döffinger supports Win95 ports of X-Wing & TIE Fighter in Hardware mode, while the "vanilla" GoG wrapper doesn't.

a) vanilla GoG version

It works using its own (?) ddraw.dll wrapper, utilizing native external res and 640x480x16 internal res:

2sH3W7T.png

3D elements:

7rn4Jej.jpg

POnXnGm.jpg

xFEXE5b.jpg

But when you switch the game to the "3D Hardware mode":

DtAdlQr.png

it crashes when starting the mission. :(

b) GoG version + rdoeffinger's wrapper

It works fine both in "software" and "hardware" mode (notice different cursor, though):

CUGfxSc.png

3D:

FNzNi6t.jpg

G1luV5e.jpg

rV5gYKl.jpg

The only problem with this wrapper is jerky mouse movement in the "concourse", but I don't think anything can be done about it, as it lacks the "hardware" cursor GoG wrapper uses, forcing the "software" cursor as one of the fixes in the .cfg file (see above).

Great thing about this wrapper is that it has additional options, like for example different scaling modes, Xinput emulation, mouse and keyboard sensitivity and the possibility to enable deadzone in joystics.

OFC the '95 versions of XW and TF aren't "perfect":

OlHg0SO.jpg

:what:

but if you can't stand the low-res and low-poly graphics of the original DOS X-wing, the '95 version is probably the way to go. TIE Fighter is different story, since the Collectors Edition can be switched to 640x480 which looks glorious. :salute:

Last edited:

JP78

Novice
GoldenLand 2 - In English

The game is fully playable for non-Russian Speakers (expect some errors in translation)

- Install game
- Patch it to v1.3 here
- Unzip the contents of this zip file (English manual in PDF inlcuded) to the data folder on the installation dir

All set.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, recently I've decided to re-play original Tomb Raider. Before starting the game, I've tried to find "the best" version ATM. Tested PS1 version via Retroarch, PC version via DosBox-X, but both had some problems (PS1: wobbly textures even with PGPX enabled, PC: same + artifacts related either to the Glide version itself, or wrappers). So instead, I went with something else, that's IMO the best way to play TR1 ATM: Tomb Raider 1: Community Edition.

What is it? Well, basically it's a Windows port / enhancement, based on TombATI and earlier stuff (wrapper for ATI Rage 3D patch for TR1). Check forum thread for more info.

added proper UI and bar scaling
added enemy health bar
added deaths counter
added more control over when to show health bar and air bar
added customizability to health bar and air bar
added ability to set user-defined FOV
added ability to select weapons / using items with numeric keys
added ability to look around while running
added TR3-like sidesteps
added shotgun flash sprites
added rendering of pickups on the ground as 3D meshes
added ability to automatically walk to items when nearby
added braid (currently only works in Lost Valley)
added support for displaying more than 3 pickup sprites
added a choice whether to play NG or NG+
added Japanese mode (guns deal twice the damage); available for both NG and NG+
added automatic calculation of secret numbers
added compass level stats
added ability to keep timer on in inventory
added save game crystals game mode (enabled via gameflow)
added pause screen
added movable camera on W,A,S,D
added Xbox One Controller support
Per Axis Dead Zone
Left Stick = movement
A = Jump/Select
B = Roll/Deselect
X = Action/Select
Y = Look/Select
LB = Walk
RB = Draw Weapons
Dpad Up = Draw Weapons
Back = Option
Start = Pause
Right Stick = Camera Movement
R3 = Reset Camera
added rounded shadows (instead of the default octagon)
added per-level customizable water color (with customizable blue component)
added per-level customizable fog distance
added adjustable in-game brightness
added .jpeg/.png screenshots
added support for HD FMVs
added fanmade 16:9 menu backgrounds
added ability to skip FMVs with the Action key
added fade effects
added a vsync option
added total pickups and kills per level to the stats screen
added restart level to passport menu on death
added contextual arrows to menu options
added a final statistics screen
added music during the credits
added fade effects to displayed images
added unobtainable pickups and kills stats support in the gameflow
added the option to pause sound in the inventory screen
What will you need?

1) Get the Tomb1Main "executable" from Github and extract it somewhere, making the "main" game folder ("C:/Tomb" for example).
2) Extract two subfolders to this main folder either from the original CD image or GoG version (rename Game.gog to game.bin): "Data" and "Fmv".
3) Get the "restored" soundtrack (audio tracks from the PS1 version in .flac format) from this link and extract it to the main game folder
4) If you want to play the "Unfinished Business" add-on, grab required files from this link. This archive has all four bonus levels in the .phd format, which is important, since the "vanilla" UB addon uses .tub format, and these files won't work with T1M. Run the Tomb1Main.exe with "-gold" parameter (Tomb1Main.exe -gold).
5) That's it.

Screens:

3fQ22ss.jpg

bwy25eB.jpg

vtoIc85.jpg

I3Jl8Rl.jpg

xSnIJbh.jpg

Game runs great: very fast and only with minimal "glitches" (visible borders on distant textures), basically same way as TR2-TR5 did back in the day.

:salute:

You can also use two additional things:

1) TR1 last secret fixer by SuiKaze Raider (fixes the final secret, which wasn't properly counted in vanilla game). Just extract TR1LastSecretFixer.exe somewhere and fix the Level10c.phd with it.

2) AI upscaled HD FMV by MachoBroccoli.

If anyone is interested I've made some AI Upscaled HD FMVs to download and use with Tomb1Main!

All files here are MP4s and are all at 4K but are low file sizes due to the current bitrate limits so it won't take up huge amounts of space.

I've kept the framerates the same as the original FMVs, remastered the on screen text for the CAFE FMV and included the MANSION remake FMV by Bonic Studios, as the original I couldn't get looking "right".

Replace the original .rpl files with the .mp4 ones in the "FMV" subfolder.

PC gaming master race out. :obviously:

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Impeccable timing, I had had TR in my mind recently but hadn't researched the best way to play it yet. And I've had these GOG copies gathering dust for years.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, while trying to find the best way of playing Tomb Raider 2 in 2022 (more on this later), I had to address another issue first, one analyzed here and here - which virtual CD is the best when it comes to mounting mixed-mode CDs (data track + audio tracks).

Shit's important, since TR2 uses mixed-mode:

FILE "tombr2.img" BINARY
TRACK 1 MODE1/2352
INDEX 1 00:00:00
TRACK 2 AUDIO
INDEX 1 26:10:16
TRACK 3 AUDIO
INDEX 1 27:37:50
TRACK 4 AUDIO
INDEX 1 29:33:74
TRACK 5 AUDIO
INDEX 1 31:51:59
TRACK 6 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:01:43
TRACK 7 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:10:39
TRACK 8 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:17:39
TRACK 9 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:24:41
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:32:40
TRACK 11 AUDIO
INDEX 1 32:45:64
TRACK 12 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:03:48
TRACK 13 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:14:10
TRACK 14 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:25:18
TRACK 15 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:32:18
TRACK 16 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:39:18
TRACK 17 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:46:19
TRACK 18 AUDIO
INDEX 1 33:57:21
TRACK 19 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:04:21
TRACK 20 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:11:21
TRACK 21 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:18:21
TRACK 22 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:25:21
TRACK 23 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:32:21
TRACK 24 AUDIO
INDEX 1 34:50:70
TRACK 25 AUDIO
INDEX 1 35:01:70
TRACK 26 AUDIO
INDEX 1 35:08:70
TRACK 27 AUDIO
INDEX 1 36:02:60
TRACK 28 AUDIO
INDEX 1 38:02:71
TRACK 29 AUDIO
INDEX 1 40:02:54
TRACK 30 AUDIO
INDEX 1 42:51:12
TRACK 31 AUDIO
INDEX 1 45:56:71
TRACK 32 AUDIO
INDEX 1 46:06:53
TRACK 33 AUDIO
INDEX 1 46:13:25
TRACK 34 AUDIO
INDEX 1 46:31:60
TRACK 35 AUDIO
INDEX 1 47:28:18
TRACK 36 AUDIO
INDEX 1 47:50:09
TRACK 37 AUDIO
INDEX 1 50:31:03
TRACK 38 AUDIO
INDEX 1 50:45:16
TRACK 39 AUDIO
INDEX 1 50:58:48
TRACK 40 AUDIO
INDEX 1 51:15:36
TRACK 41 AUDIO
INDEX 1 51:35:23
TRACK 42 AUDIO
INDEX 1 52:36:28
TRACK 43 AUDIO
INDEX 1 53:11:57
TRACK 44 AUDIO
INDEX 1 53:18:10
TRACK 45 AUDIO
INDEX 1 53:34:08
TRACK 46 AUDIO
INDEX 1 53:46:05
TRACK 47 AUDIO
INDEX 1 54:00:31
TRACK 48 AUDIO
INDEX 1 54:10:63
TRACK 49 AUDIO
INDEX 1 56:55:70
TRACK 50 AUDIO
INDEX 1 58:09:19
TRACK 51 AUDIO
INDEX 1 58:18:65
TRACK 52 AUDIO
INDEX 1 59:02:72
TRACK 53 AUDIO
INDEX 1 59:14:57
TRACK 54 AUDIO
INDEX 1 60:05:63
TRACK 55 AUDIO
INDEX 1 63:37:32
TRACK 56 AUDIO
INDEX 1 67:09:13
TRACK 57 AUDIO
INDEX 1 68:56:65
TRACK 58 AUDIO
INDEX 1 69:22:35
TRACK 59 AUDIO
INDEX 1 69:46:08
TRACK 60 AUDIO
INDEX 1 70:05:62
TRACK 61 AUDIO
INDEX 1 72:54:34
Tested four programs.

1) Daemon Tools

Simply the best solution back in the day of WinXP and Win7. Supported all possible formats, mixed mode CDs worked like a charm (you had CD audio in games using this mode), emulated Securom, Safedisc & Laserlock when using "full" images (.ccd + .sub & .mdf + .mds).

Sadly, ATM it's a AIDS-ridden corpse. Free version is infested with all kinds of spyware and does not support most features older versions did. Posters claim that even the "full" paid version does not support emulation of protected CDs, since M$ removed all possibilities of using it in Win10.

Mixed-mode CDs work, but at what cost?

rating_shit.png

Avoid.

2) Alcohol 52%

In the past almost as good as Daemon. I didn't like the UI, but all features were working fine.

Unfortunately, the current version is also full of spyware, and even when you successfully install it without catching any "optional" HIV, it will still block some features until you agree to get some data-mining dick up your butt.

Mixed-mode CDs work, but:

rating_shit.png

Avoid.

3) Virtual CloneDrive

Finally something actually good. Small, AIDS-free, working as described. Mixed-mode CDs work fine (you can play audio tracks in EAC & other software):

QmxfdDK.png

Problems? Only supports CloneCD format (.ccd + .cue + .img + .sub). Won't mount any "basic" images (.bin + .cue or .wav + .cue).

4) ImgDrive

I've been using it for some time as my default virtual cd solution, but to my surprise recently realised, that it doesn't support mixed mode (actually it does - see below). After mounting TR2 in .bin + .cue format, I got this (audio tracks are treated as data tracks):

iUbMfI7.png

:decline:

And audio CD doesn't work (either in EAC or ingame).

But to my even greater surprise it turned out, that this prog actually supports mixed mode CDs. Just not in the "basic" format. If you mount a "full" image, audio tracks will work:

BeyKamN.png

:incline:

Tested both CloneCD format (.ccd + .cue + .img + .sub) and Alcohol format (.mdf + .mds). Both work fine. I have no idea why .bin + .cue mixed-mode images don't work, but whatever.

tl;dr

If you want to use mixed-mode CDs, my recommendation is to grab ImgDrive (simple, good UI, supports more formats):

YoLm3hO.png

or Virtual CloneDrive (simple, worse UI, supports fever formats). Just make sure you use "full" images. OFC you can make such images from "basic" ones (.bin + .cue), using tools like UltraISO (paid, but great):

24dpv43.png

as long as you don't want to emulate CD protection like Safedisc or Securom (.sub file made from "basic" image will be useless / dummy).

PC master race out. :obviously:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
So anyway - which is the best way of playing Tomb Raider 2 in 2022?

Answer is simple - TR2Main by Arsunt.

This is a dynamic library for the classic Tomb Raider II game (Windows version). The purpose of the library is to reimplement all the routines performed by the game. This is not a wrapper, it's a full-fledged solution that solves a bunch of compatibility issues, and also allows to easily change gameflow.

Main features:
  • proper widescreen with correctly scaled GUI
  • gamepad support with various prompts (numeric, playstation, xbox)
  • two gameplay fixes (low ceiling, running M16 damage)
  • various graphical tweaks (reflections, shadows, water color)
  • GUI scaling (HP / Air bars, etc.)
  • tweakable GUI (PSX-style bars, animated inventory background)
  • tweakable loading screens, remastered logos and other pics
  • FOV / fog tweaks
What needs to be done?

1) Get the Tr2Main "executable" from this link. This is the latest dev. build available, "regular" builds on GitHub are obsolete.

2) Extract the archive somewhere, creating the "main" game folder ("C:/Tomb2" for example).

3) Extract two subfolders into this main folder either from the original CD image or GoG / Steam version (game.gog is actually regular .bin image): "Data" and "Fmv".

4) If you want to use CD Audio, mount the .ccd / .mds in ImgDrive. If you don't want to use it, copy the "Audio" subfolder from GoG / Steam version, or create it yourself from original CD (not really):
  • mount the image / insert CD
  • install the game to some other folder than used for Tr2Main
  • use the Tomb Raider Series Multi Patch from Tomb Raider Chronicles site

1o14kDU.png

• copy the "Audio" subfolder to the "main" game folder

GRHMGXi.png

• uninstall the game
By doing the above, you applied PaulD's CD Audio Solution (game uses a 128 kbit CBR mp3 file instead of audio tracks):

dRB1zdg.png

Kinda LQ, but gets the job done + you don't need original CD mounted + you can change volume of "CD Audio" ingame.

5) If you want to play the TR 2 Gold / TR2 - The Golden Mask add-on, grab required files from this link, extract to the "main" game folder and run the t2gold.cmd file. This archive was made by yours truly, you can DIY OFC:
  • Install the add-on somewhere
  • rename tombPC.dat to tombPCg.dat, Main.sfx to Maing.sfx & title.pcx to titleg.pcx
  • copy credit00.pcx, legalg.pcx, level1.tr2 - level5.tr2, Maing.sfx, titleg.pcx & tombPCg.dat files:

S5qX8FU.png

to "Data" subfolder of your "main" game folder.
  • run the Tomb2.exe with a -gold parameter.
Screens:

DvVz4wG.jpg

Ruub4Gy.jpg

:obviously:

You can tweak all available options of TR2Main with .reg files, found in the "ExtraOptions" subfolder.

Bonus:

6) If you want to use AI upscaled HD FMVs, grab them either from here (.mp4 by LeonDeka) or here (.bik by Lwmte) and extract to the "Fmv" folder (keep old .rpl files).

zSIce6d.png

That's it.

Bonus #2:

The "old" solution - using the Peixoto's multipatcher is IMO inferior.

a) The patcher is kinda bloated as of 2022:

Eh6XrXz.png

:what:

Slow, too many options, meh interface.

b) In case of TR2, it doesn't even fucking work. Tried various options, still got this:

wiDIqB6.jpg

O61NKFN.jpg

So even the basic "proper scaling" regfix doesn't work.

:decline:

c) Even if you get it to work / use older version (my old 2018 one works fine), GUI still won't be properly scaled:

yrFwZAH.jpg

So TR2Main is much superior.

PC master race out. :obviously:

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Haven't had time to read this entire topic so forgive me if this is redundant, but I recently discovered a DirectX/OpenGL wrapper called cnc-ddraw which is up to v4.4.7.0, but don't use that version since I find it buggy; find one of the test builds instead. What this program does is allow me to play games like Warlords Battlecry III at my preferred resolution of 1280 X 720 in a fullscreen borderless window with easy alt-tabbing. It even works great for true vanilla versions of Jagged Alliance 2 + expansions (none of that "vanilla" 1.13 nonsense) at their original 640 X 480 resolutions in perfectly functioning fullscreen borderless windows (if you use the test build... recent version severely bugs out the JA2 Unfinished Business expansion). I'm sure it works for many other old games too that cause extreme wear and tear on your displays because of the constant switching of resolutions, not to mention the messing up of open windows running in the background of Windows. Along with my recent discovery of WindowsResizer, it goes right into my Essentials folder.

Jigby

Augur
Winevdm - "16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) on 64-bit Windows"
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

Emulator that allows you to run 16bit windows applications through wine and some DOS magic. Great stuff, there are a lot of those 1993-1996 games that you had to install Win95 for. I've had only good experience with it. You might not get all of the games to work, but the devs are responsive and you can always issue a ticket on github. The thing that's good about it is that unlike DOSbox-X/VMware, you're not emulating a whole OS, just some kernel functions that you then run in a modern OS. Can work even for running those old 16bit installers that don't have 32bit wrappers.

Jigby

Augur
No, ScummVM is just a game engine emulator that allows you to run a couple of Sierra/LucasArts games. This is a general purpose Win16 emulator. I'd say the games/applications to run would be those that were post-VGA but pre-DirectX (there were those weird Win9x libraries like WinG and DisplayDib and GDI-based stuff), or old DirectX. Stuff like Ace Ventura https://www.old-games.ru/game/465.html. Or anything Win16-bit. (I'm thinking of installers, self-extractors etc...). If your game runs on ScummVM you should probably use that since it's all optimized.

agris

Arcane
Patron
FYI it's in the low 100s of games Jigby, a lot of which is due to Macromedia Director emulation support as well. But your general idea is still right.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
SCUMMVM is mostly for adventure games, with some RPGs thrown in and a few oddities. It also requires someone with the time and skill to put in the engine for the game, and work on most long-awaited engines are slow. This probably works less well, but you won't have to wait for them to support whatever title you want to play right now.
FYI it's in the low 100s of games Jigby, a lot of which is due to Macromedia Director emulation support as well. But your general idea is still right.
Its actually quite a lot now. I don't think they have Macromedia Director fully in yet, but they added AGS, Wintermute and I think a lot of text adventure formats, which covers a considerable sum of games.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, some stuff & things. Too bad that fags posting these @ teh Dex don't bother to post ITT. :roll:
That is all.

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
BROs, some stuff & things. Too bad that fags posting these @ teh Dex don't bother to post ITT. :roll:
That is all.
just a small addendum, I think the last verok's legacy of kain patch is 1.75 still available from verok's cloud
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnztLe6c9vNlgnZRcm6q17qzf1vJ?e=XQ86Lj
https://web.archive.org/web/2021101.../05/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-gl-wrapper.html

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom