Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unrest: An Unconventional RPG set in Ancient India

daveyd

Savant
I'm backing the Kickstarter campaign for this promising indie game called Unrest. I really like that it takes place in a fantasy setting different from the typical pseudo-medieval Europe. I also like its going to be conversation heavy and that combat will be relatively rare and almost always avoidable like in Planescape: Torment. And since each chapter follows a different protagonist, there are no fail states; even if you die, it will impact the rest of the game and what ending you can get. I even dig what I've heard of the soundtrack. The concept sounds great and I think the only thing they need to do is improve in game art / graphics, which is what the bulk of the funding is going towards.

Unrest-banner-huge.jpg

Availbale on STEAM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292400

And GOG http://af.gog.com/game/unrest?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Absalom

Hmm. Really. Sounds too good to be true. I'll be watching this

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm thinking about backing this. I really haven't done this so far, because I'm not sure I will even have time to play all the Kickstarter games I've backed so far, and this project is already overfunded, so the "support the incline" aspect is largely irrelevant at this point.

laclongquan

Arcane
Interesting. It's the virgin setting, If I remember correctly. And ancient india is like a different world from the modern day in everything. Not even ancient china get to be that much different to modern china.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Saw this on ksaun's twitter back in May. Yeah, it looks really good. Check out the reputation system they're using:

Conversation is an art - be it debate, negotiation, intimidation, flattery or bribery. The branching narrative of Unrest coupled with the detailed conversation system aims to reflect that by providing depth and freedom to the player.

Every person in the world will have their opinion of you - some might despise you simply because of your birth or caste, some might admire you if you are a priest of the religion they follow, or some may be indifferent to your fate. We measure all these possibilities using 3 values for every character - Friendship, Respect and Fear. This system enables the game to portray a number of nuanced relationships that are not fully conveyed with a single "opinion" value, such as:

The underling of a merciless king would fear his retribution and even respect his results, but the orders he carries out for his master make him loathe the man. (Very High Fear, Middling Respect, Low Friendship)
The buddy of a dangerous and brash street thug enjoys his company and fears his violent outbursts, but doesn't respect him as he is impulsive and frequently makes decisions that jeopardize them both. (High Fear, High Friendship, Low Respect)
The brother to a timid craftsman treasures his company and believes he has great skill and foresight, but knows he can get his own way with his brother even when he's in the wrong. (Low Fear, Very High Friendship, High Respect)
The son of a powerful man loves his father, respects his experience and wisdom, and cowers before his judgement. (All values high)
A powerful warrior regards an abusive drunkard in a bar. The man is shouting insults, smells like the stables, and can barely stand on his feet. (All values low)

I've always wished an RPG would try something like this.

MCA
Me too but this is still rather simplistic. Eg:

The brother to a timid craftsman treasures his company and believes he has great skill and foresight, but knows he can get his own way with his brother even when he's in the wrong. (Low Fear, Very High Friendship, High Respect)

"Fear" doesn't really correspond to the dynamic that leads the former to manipulate the latter here. Loyalty or honesty is more like it, I guess.

I am curious about the game logic behind those factors. It looks like every character will have dedicated dispositions towards all other characters. Is that data predetermined or processed in game based on characteristics? For the latter, for instance, for the "buddy of a dangerous and brash street thug" to "enjoy his company, fear his violent outbursts but not respect him (High Fear, High Friendship, Low Respect)", the "buddy" would need to have a table of basic traits for Fear, Friendship and Respect values between the two to be derived.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

Uhm... totally not suspicious.
half-life 3 confirmed

rpg codex is a pretty popular channel for KS. it's hardly surprising if backers of a project (and not necessarily the devs themselves if that's what you insinuated) come here for additional support. no harm done.

Borelli

Arcane
3000$ main goal?:retarded:Sure they got more and judging by their stretch goals they assumed they will but still did they really expect to make all this with only 3000$? Unless the exchange rates are so that 3k means a lot in India.

Indranys

Savant
Very interesting indeed.
Love this kind of setting.
I'm inspired, who knows, maybe I'll make a Khmer or Majapahit Empire CRPG if I have enough money and decent drunken Australian writer at my disposal because my English is suck.

But hey they only asked for $3000??
Fearing too much to fail aren't we?
Depend too much on stretch goals isn't wise mang.
I bet the game will have focused features and narrowed or even barebone gameplay similar to Expeditions Conquistador.

And no wealthy playa Mogul/Mughal Prince protagonist aka the obvious primer reason to make games about India in the first place!!?1
Fuck this shit!
What kind of debauchery is this!?

:x

Is Bhimra really that interesting to be worthy as the setting?
At least they should make the game in Mohenjo-daro/Harappa period or at least Ashoka one IMO.
But the times of Mogul Empire will certainly the best for my taste.

Lancehead

Liturgist
3000$ main goal?:retarded:Sure they got more and judging by their stretch goals they assumed they will but still did they really expect to make all this with only 3000$? Unless the exchange rates are so that 3k means a lot in India.
The goal doesn't include their living costs. The initial cost breakdown is basically part-time working.

1aa6d014479596def940b699d62a68bb_large.png

7hm

Scholar
The goal doesn't include their living costs. The initial cost breakdown is basically part-time working.

1aa6d014479596def940b699d62a68bb_large.png

Not planning for taxes. Nice stuff.

Weiiiiird planning outside of that.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
That's a budget of part time university students. I'm expecting this to be released next thursday like AOD.:roll:

Other than that, i always support going away from medieval fantasy settings in games and wish they made more games with ancient eastern mythology.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Can I be a customer service phone rep with comcast in this game? Seems to be a popular 'class' in the region.
EDIT Oh I misread. It said ANCIENT India.... Well then let me fix the above quote to...
" Can I be a customer service phone rep with Prodigy/Aol in this game". There. Fixed.

daveyd

Savant

Uhm... totally not suspicious.
half-life 3 confirmed

rpg codex is a pretty popular channel for KS. it's hardly surprising if backers of a project (and not necessarily the devs themselves if that's what you insinuated) come here for additional support. no harm done.

Yeah, I guess there's no way to prove it, but I'm not affiliated with the dev. I've been lurking on RPG Codex for a long time; I just never bothered to register until this month when I found out about Chaos Chronicles having their official forum here.

I think this game sounds promising (well certainly enough to contribute 10 bucks for it) and hope they can reach a couple more stretch goals in the next few days they have left. I'm trying to convince the developer to leave paypal pre-orders open for awhile after the KS ends so they can potentially reach all the stretch goals (I want more chapters).

daveyd

Savant
I'm still hoping they will reach the 50k mark.

Yeah me too. Kickstarters sometimes get a big jump in the last couple days and I really hope that will be the case here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom